• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jeremiah Promo

Lyta

Well, I saw my first television promo tonight on Showtime while watching SG-1! It is a longer/different version than the one up on their web site (this one in particular) which we will try to encode tomorrow if everything goes well.

It will probably be encoded in RealVideo format unless everyone objects.
tongue.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Abyss : Jeremiah
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS

I *still* haven't caught a Jeremiah promo on Showtime! I guess I haven't been watching at the right times. All I'm seeing are movie promos.

Tammy

------------------
Tirk: Citizen G'Kar, Captain Martell would like to speak to you.
G'Kar: Of course. Love to stay. Can't. Have to go. Kiss-kiss. Love-love. Bye.

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Ok, I am in a bit of a dilema and need some advice. I have encoded the first trailer that I mentioned above and I also caught another (longer!) one on Saturday which we also encoded.

I guess I should ask Showtime's permission before hosting these trailers, correct? Thing is I don't know how long it could take to get approval.
frown.gif

Then there is the whole can of worms about -how- I should host the trailers. I could do it via a RealServer (non-downloadable but would have to be lower bitrate due to our bandwidth limitations) or via HTTP (downloadable but could have higher bitrate).

With the first, it might be the safest since they could not be copied. It will be a hassle to set up a RealServer and it could potentially eat up a lot of bandwidth. The second is definitely easier on me but it carries a greater risk since people could download them.

Hmm, maybe I should wait until I get into work tomorrow and see if there are any other ways to handle this... or am I worrying too much about this?

------------------
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS

My advice would be to contact Showtime.

I presume they would be willing to grant rights for you to host it in turn for the promotion.

However, doing it without permission could force them to take action to demonstrably protect their "property".

Since I've never tried any of this, however, Antony might new better the ins and outs of such a question, or Christian over at the Slipstream BBS, the officially unofficial fan site for Andromeda Ascendant.

I think they link to the trailer on the official site, rather than host it, however.

Okay, I stop with the stream of consciousness rambling now.
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
...or am I worrying too much about this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are worrying too much. Yes, its Showtime's property (duh
smile.gif
) But, as long as you acknowledge that it is copyrighted by them, shouldn't be a biggie. Haven, the biggest X-Files fan site has ALWAYS had trailers for upcoming eps and things available for DL on her site.
Technically, it is illegal to post ANYTHING without permission of the owner (even the images). However, if it came down to where Showtime found out about the posting, they would likely ask you to remove it first before doing anything further on a legal level. In the end though, its up to you.

invalensname

------------------
**In Starlight** | In Starlight's Forum

"There is always hope. Only because its the one thing no one's figured out how to kill, yet."
--Galen, 'Crusade'

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technomage Roanna:
My advice would be to contact Showtime.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but the question is how? They don't post email addresses on their web site and instead have a sort of form you fill out to ask them a question. I suppose I could do that but I have one other option I am exploring first.

See, the problem is that there is no counterpart to link to and that is why I want to be able to share it with people who have missed it or cannot otherwise see it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice Ro! I do appriciate it.
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by invalensname:
I think you are worrying too much. Yes, its Showtime's property (duh
smile.gif
) But, as long as you acknowledge that it is copyrighted by them, shouldn't be a biggie.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this post somehow!
blush.gif
Well it is good to get some different perspectives on this issue and I have at least left feedback for Showtime about this so who knows if it will reach the right person. *shrugs*

I just got really paranoid this weekend while thinking about what I was actually proposing to do.
wink.gif

I will need to re-encode both clips (one for low and one for high bandwidths) before posting them online tomorrow. All the necessary software is at work so hopefully the trailers will look better than our first attempt.
laugh.gif

Thanks IVN!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Sorry, I seemed to have missed this post somehow! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What didn't you understand?

invalensname

------------------

"There is always hope. Only because its the one thing no one's figured out how to kill, yet."
--Galen, 'Crusade'

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by invalensname:
What didn't you understand? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't that I didn't understand it ... I was just referring to the fact that I missed seeing it the first time. I saw the post after yours (and replied to it) but didn't realize your post was there. I only noticed it when I came back later.
wink.gif

------------------

It wasn't that I didn't understand it ... I was just referring to the fact that I missed seeing it the first time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh ok. Gotcha.
smile.gif

invalensname

------------------

--Galen, 'Crusade'

Ok! It only took forever and a day but I finally got the two trailers up!
smile.gif
I ended up reorganizing the pages while I was at it so it took even longer. *chuckles*

I am not entirely satisfied with the encoding (the picture is too dark in many places) but I won't be fixing it until I get more sleep.

Abyss : Promotional Trailers

Oh, also I have two new photos up as well so enjoy and let me know how the clips turned out.

Abyss : Season One Photos

------------------

how can i save those clips? is it stream?
frown.gif

EDIT: If anyone dont like stream files or connection is slow , they can donwload promos by renaming filenames .ram to .rm
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Sigma (edited February 26, 2002).]

Promos were much much better than previous ones. Second clip was fantastic and music was surprisingly(sp?) good...very good choice by jms imo.

btw nice site Lyta, i'm already waiting your episode reviews
wink.gif

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

Oh, my God, I can't believe I'm gonna be missing this series. Unless a miracle of biblical proportions happens. It just looks so good...

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

[This message has been edited by channe (edited February 26, 2002).]

you don't know anybody who can tape them for you? i mean, somebody could tape four of them onto a single tape or something like that and then send them to you 4 at a time (that way you could save on shipping).. and in the end it would be significantly cheaper than ordering showtime, anyway!
smile.gif

*cough cough* not that i *cough cough* say that this should ever be done..
tongue.gif

-di doctor-

------------------

Literally - the only person I know who has Showtime lives across the country (you know who you are). Nobody I know, whether it be acquaintance, best friend, enemy, enemy's parents, friend's husband, etc., etc., has anything remotely resembling Showtime. Where I grew up, we had Showtime in negative before TimeWarner came about and gave us cable boxes. I can't even order Showtime where I live, per contract.

Of course, if anyone had any ideas as to how I could see the show, they could always e-mail me at ksteelthorne@yahoo.com
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

[This message has been edited by channe (edited February 26, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sigma:
Second clip was fantastic and music was surprisingly(sp?) good...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the music i heard in the second clip was not in the pilot. just as an FYI. or, at least, i don't remember it.. the music i remember was heavier and more somber.

actually, that was my only real complaint about the pilot when i saw it: the music was too much too often. i had problems hearing some of the dialogue because the music was too loud some of the time. of course, this could be that i was seeing it in a big theater with a state of the art sound system.
smile.gif

-di doctor-

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back