• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Interviews

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
I need to speed up! I'm trying to pace myself with the interviews of cast members before the show airs, but I may pace myself too late if I'm not careful!
smile.gif

Enid-Raye's interview will go up shortly, for everyone's information.

I'm also interviewing Dean Marshall next, hopefully this weekend.

Keeping busy, I'm also interviewing Jeffrey Combs within a few days about his Trek roles. The delight is that I can link in to the interview where it will be published as he was in B5, so it's relevant.
smile.gif

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

Antony, we eagerly await you posting the interview info.
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

You should interview me. You'd be like, "Hey, what's your favorite color," and I'd be like, "4." Wouldn't that be neat?

Or, better yet, I could interview Enid-Raye. I'd ask her relevant Rangers questions like, "Do your bra and panties match?" and "Will you go out with me?"

Seriously, though, how do you hook up these interviews? Are you in "da Biz?" Do you conduct them on phone or that internet thingy? Do you like prime numbers?

I need a nap.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Seriously, though, how do you hook up these interviews? Are you in "da Biz?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I belive he ran the Star Trek section of fandom.com until the company want down with the dotcom crash.

------------------
"When a spark goes online, there's great joy --
When one's extinguished, the universe weeps." (audio)
-- Rhinox, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Yeah, Fandom gave me some good experience in that. Well, in a way. They just paid me. Large amounts of money, which was nice. But I had to teach myself these things.

Most interviews are arranged with managers, but as I speak to the B5LR cast via email I just arrange it direct.

I do telephone interviews. Email interviews are sooo enticing, as I wouldn't have to type them up. But I don't feel you have a flow, you can't follow lines of questioning etc.

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

Ooh, telephone interviews - you can't record 'em, so you sit there typing furiously away, trying to capture what the person on the other end just said...

We're looking forward to them, Antony!

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Ooh, telephone interviews - you can't record 'em /---/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? Is there some law against it? It's just that when I worked in a newspaper, I hardly ever saw a reporter not recording his or her phone interviews.

I mean, the technology for it has existed for quite a while now.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Where I work, we don't have the equipment. When I worked someplace that did, a lot of the people I interviewed absolutely did NOT want their call recorded (even though they were happy with a tape recorder in a live interview. I just can't figure some people out.)

And in the States you have to ask permission before recording. I'm primarily a freelancer and really don't have the access to that kind of equipment.

So, I transcribe very fast.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Well, yes, of course one has to ask permission. Not just in the States, I guess that's pretty much the same everywhere.

I just figured that if someone's doing a rather long interview, they would be prepared to tape it (and ask for permission), not rely on transcribing the live conversation.

BTW, I can understand objecting to recording if it's not a pre-arranged interview - if it is, the person being interviewed should in theory be interested in having a recording of his/her exact words, to help make the end result as good and accurate as possible and to avoid misunderstandings.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Transcribe? Eek, that's a scary scary though. These interviews on average go on for 40 minutes.

I imagine if you're a news reporter people might be a bit sceptical, as often it's delicate information. But these are interviews, it goes without saying they're being recorded.

I don't know about US law, but UK law states that only one party needs to know about the recording. The 2nd party doesn't need to be told.

Anyway, I just got ANOTHER interview on the cards. This is a busy time. This time John Billingsley, Dr. Phlox in Enterprise.

------------------

Actually, the "equipment" for recording a phone converastion is very cheap. It's been available for years. A microphone embedded in a suction cup that sticks to the handset. And a casssette recorder. Radio Shack used to sell them.

Sound quality isn't very good, but then again, you're usually not planning to Sell the tapes, just listen and transcribe.

Since this type of device doesn't have the "beeper" that reminds the person at the other end that you are recording as required by US Law, it's technically illegal to Use.
But, not to sell or own.
wink.gif

Or, if you have a speaker phone, you don't even need the suction cup mike.
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited November 30, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Actually, the "equipment" for recording a phone converastion is very cheap. It's been available for years. A microphone embedded in a suction cup that sticks to the handset. And a casssette recorder. Radio Shack used to sell them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. I know a few people who always have their phone recording system setup just in case.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

I have a special cable that is a phone connection one end, and a microphone jack the other. that wires in to the tape recorder, and the wire is wired into the telephone line direct.

With the recorder, it cost me £50 (equiv. $72ish).

------------------

Back