• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I'm joining in!

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
I\'m joining in!

I thought I'd pop into the Jeremiah foreign office... and say I'm joining in.

I've got the first episodes of Jeremiah, and will be giving them a go soon. See what it's all about. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif As it doesn't seem to be coming out over here, I've resorted to downloading them.

And before Lyta goes there... or anyone else who read my NC-17 posting to Lyta... I'm not doing this just because Steve Bacic is in an episode, and it's purely coincidence it's barely a week later that I'm downloading them. Honestly. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Re: I\'m joining in!

Yes. Right. No connection..please pay attention to the twinkling in my left I now. NO CONNECTION /forums/images/icons/wink.gif twinkle twinkle. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Hope you enjoy them. I also had to resort to the shameful deed to download the episodes to see them. I don't like screwing people like this, especially JMS, but it's not as if I'm causing any damage by downloading them. I would be causing damage if I had other options to get to the episodes. I don't.

BTW if the show gets you, You'll have a real conflict of interest when you come to the Bacic episode.

If it doesn't get you in the beginning, give it at least 8 episodes time. Also if the first episodes are good IMHO Ep No. 8 gives you a real idea about what this is all going to look like.

Doesn't Bacic appear in that schlock-silly-piece-of-I-can't-believe-this-crud-got-filmed episode "Ring of Truth?"

Anyway, Antony, welcome to the forum, and we'd love to hear your opinions on the episodes you love and the episodes you don't. I loooooove Jeremiah - I think this is a good show, and could be a fantastic show, if it is given a second season...

And join our newsletter. Link's in Lyta's sig. Now. Go. Join. Now. (Next issue features an interview with Ingrid Kavelaars...)

i also downloaded them /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

it is a good show..far from B5 quality, but i like it. Same old JMS and that isnt always a good thing /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Sigma

Far from B5 later on. Far ahead of B5's first season (especially the JMS epidodes. He IMHO didn't write a single bad episode this season)

Suuuuuure Ant. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Glad you will be joining us and we will all be interested to hear what you think. Don't feel bad about downloading the eps since the only countries I have heard who will be seeing Jeremiah legally are Canada and France.

Yup, "Ring of Truth" ranks dead last with a 5.2 "Theo Rating" which is a full 1.1 points below the next highest episode. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

PS: If anyone gets a hold of a France schedule, let me know!

The only reason Ring of Truth has a rating as high as 5.2 is because most people (like me /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ) don't consider it worth the time to give it 0 points.

Well, you can't give zero points but you could give it a "1". /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

How dare you download such a fine show that everyone should watch off the net :)

I tend to when I'm REALLY bored.
Well. 1 point is in there for the mushroom trip. It didn't fit in but it did have me laughing.

The Bag and The Touch where both very bad - But nowhere near Ring of Truth. Plus, those 2 contribute to the arc. RoT can be skipped without leaving gaps (but somehow I don't see Antony leaving out the Bacic episode)

I'll keep you informed about the French schedule.

However, keep in mind that the information probably leaked at the very moment they bought the show so we're probably going to wait between a couple up to 6 month before the airing starts, I think. (Time is needed to do the French translation and then, they have to find room in their schedule.)

Sullivan

Oh, I never feel bad at downloading such things... I buy stuff I want on DVD. Can never beat the quality.

And of course, just can't see it any other way right now.

Hey Tom, thanks for keeping me in mind when you hear more information on the French schedule.

This was something my husband and I were talking about over dinner yesterday. Do the French dub or subtitle most tv programs? Is the channel they are planning to air Jeremiah allow for harsh language, nudity and violence? We were just curious what version of the show is getting sold abroad and how other countries deal with it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I guess Sweden (which is where my hubby is from) usually subtitle everything (unless it is a kids show, then they dub) and if it has questionable content, they just show it late at night. He didn't know of a channel that would be comparable to Showtime/HBO here. It has been a few years since he has gone back so things could have changed.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Hey Tom, thanks for keeping me in mind when you hear more information on the French schedule.

[/quote]

De nada.
I'm very interested by the info and come here every day anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

This was something my husband and I were talking about over dinner yesterday. Do the French dub or subtitle most tv programs?

[/quote]

French tend to have a really hard time accepting subtitles, which is a pity /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. On all the main Networks, everything is dubbed.
However, Jeremiah will air on a cable channel, so there's a chance that there will also be a subtitled version. But even on those small channels, subtitled programs are disppearing... Thoses channels were rating-free until recently, but this isn't the case anymore. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
I'll try to see what they've done to the series they have aired previously. But they have not aired a lot of them, Cinefaz is a movie channel (bying series only because law forbids airing of movies on saturday night here).

Is the channel they are planning to air Jeremiah allow for harsh language, nudity and violence? We were just curious what version of the show is getting sold abroad and how other countries deal with it.

[/quote]

We are a lot more permissive over here. The kind of nudity that appears on Jeremiah can basically be seen anywere anytime here. Certainly it wouldn't be a problem at all after 8 or 9pm.
And from what I've seen (I'm only at the first quarter of the season for now) the language/violence shoud'nt be a problem either for a prime-time airing, especially on a cable Channel.

I'd be VERY surprised if we were to get the "light" version.
If that were to be the case then my guess would be that that was imposed by the US distributor.

I guess Sweden (which is where my hubby is from) usually subtitle everything (unless it is a kids show, then they dub) and if it has questionable content, they just show it late at night. He didn't know of a channel that would be comparable to Showtime/HBO here. It has been a few years since he has gone back so things could have changed.

[/quote]

It's hard to compare US TV with French TV. It is so vastly different. If only because of the respective sizes of the two countries.
However, we do have an equivalent of HBO/Showtime here, which is 'Canal +'.
As for 'Cinefaz', it is a regular cable/satellite channel. The difference with the US would be that only a few people have cable TV. Most people can only watch the 6 "Networks" (one of the 6 being Canal + which is encrypted).

That's why I was a little bit dispointed to hear that Jeremiah was going to go there. It means the show's probably going to get very little buzz, unless some kind of miracle happens.
I was hoping Canal+, which aired B5 and Crusade would by the show.

I have some contacts in press, so I'll try to generate as much buzz as I will be able to myself.

Tom,
who hopes he makes sense. It's late over here and English words are trying to escape me.

It's proven that in countries where english shows are not dubbed but subtitlet in general, the populations english skills are on general worlds ahead. Not only is it scientificly proven - It's self evident if you first visit sweden or the netherlands and then france, germany or austria (Since there are hardly any austrian TV Stations, almost everybody here has sattelite or cable TV to recieve german TV) Unfortunantley, in some countries, they still refuse subtitling - to me, it's annoying as hell because I don't have any problems with the english and so much just gets lost when the show is dubbed (It's enourmous with Babylon 5 - I can't imagine Jeremiah in German (Especially Kurdy))

Oh, B5 dubbed in French was the dumbest thing you can ever imagine.
One single thing had at least three different French names that used to alternate (like Etoile Céleste/Etoile Blanche for White Star) and they were serveral case were the translation simply didn't make sense AT ALL. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Sullivan

The funniest thing in the german translations was talking about Kosh's message sent to Sheridan in his Dream in "All Alone in the Night". "You are the hand" gets translated to "You are the tool" and the man inbetween ends up as the "boarder crosser". When they come to discussing the Dream in "Shadow Dancing" where in Enlish Delenn says "Thats strange. You have 2 hands, both equal and opposite." Ivanova "So the man inbetween would be your equal and opposite". "So the Boarder Crosser is both your friend and your enemy". Stuff like this constantly happens. The Jokes are pretty much entirely translated as something completely normal (exaple: WWE "Well as my great-great-grandfather used to say: cool" ends up as "thank you for your analysis Mr. Lennier". Sometimes they seem to just change dialogue for the kick of it. In Matters of Honor when Ivanova says "If something happens around here that I don't know about - worry" ends up "If I don't know what happens you can transfer me" /forums/images/icons/confused.gif And this happens ALL the time. All dialogues with references to dirtiness are removed. it just SUCKS. Plus it's the damn common voices. There are about 20 people that do all the dubbing for German TV. Some of the dubbing voices are just so damned common and B-A-D (Especially: Delenn, Garibaldi, Londo and Sinclair. The only good ones are Vir and G'Kar) Also annoying is that they all speak PERFECT German. In fact, so perfect, you NEVER EVER hear ANYONE ANYWHERE speak like that. It's a fake language. They won't take anyone with any accent for dubbing (Germans are pretty sensetive when it comes to languages. They dub AUSTRIANS and SWISS on German TV even though they speak the same language.)- AFAIK Mira Furlan offered to dub herself but the ofter was rejected.

Thanks Tom, that was very helpful and interesting information. It would be odd to see these programs (B5 and Jeremiah) dubbed in another language but then I am a purist when it comes to foriegn films and shows. They should always be subtitled and never dubbed. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back