• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Honorary Rangers - from Scifi.com

channe

Regular
Fresh off the presses at Scifi.com.

How great.

--

B5 Fans Enlisted In Rangers

The SCI FI Channel has named one Babylon 5 fan in each of the top five TV markets an honorary Ranger to promote SCI FI's upcoming original movie Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers, the network announced. That fan's car will be "wrapped" with the B5 logo and an ad for the movie, and the honorary Ranger will get to spread the word. Fans were selected in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and San Francisco.

SCI FI Channel President Bonnie Hammer will have her own personal vehicle wrapped as well, in a show of solidarity with the fans. Photographs of the drivers and their newly tricked out B5 vehicles in front of landmarks will be posted on SCIFI.COM.

SCI FI is also sending Rangers T-shirts to B5 fans who are planning on attending screenings of the upcoming first Lord of the Rings movie on Dec. 19. SCI FI is asking the fans to wear the specially designed shirts to promote the telefilm.

The fans were all chosen based on their responses to a SCIFI.COM message and for registering on the official Rangers Web site. Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers will debut on SCI FI on Jan. 19, 2002, at 9 p.m. ET/PT. The fan campaign kicks off the week of Dec. 10, and the cars will be unwrapped shortly after the film's premiere.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 14, 2001).]

Cool.
cool.gif
So, advertising campaign is starting...

I would think that having Bonnie Hammer wrap her car to promote Rangers is a good sign, yes? I doubt she does that for all the new telemovies/series?

At least it shows some serious interest on SciFi's behalf (not that I doubted that too much).
smile.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

You're right, Kribu. She's not doing that for Epoch, or for Firestarter, is she?

I wouldn't wrap my car, if I were president of an organization, unless I was damned sure that the product I was supporting was good.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

So odd. Hard to read the signals.
They "wait and see".....
and they promote the hell out of it!

I can't wait to see Bonnie in her car.
laugh.gif

I want a T-shirt! You can be damn sure I'll be in line for the first show of Lord of the Rings in December!

------------------
By Grabthar's Hammer!
By the Suns of Worvan!
You Shall BE AVENGED!
~Doctor Lazarus, Galaxy Quest episode 52, "Today is the Tomorrow of Our Yesterdays"

And soon it will begin, she must think that it will be more of a success which is great as it will make future B5 projects viable...

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

Hey, can I get one of those wrap banner things for my Whitestar?
laugh.gif

Actually, I don't own a Whitestar. I drive a black Mazda, but I can pretend.
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.
Lorien: Where are you going?
RW: To spread the joys of salad throughout the galaxy.

Their marketing division might be in full swing, but other parts of the organization are not so enthusiastic to promote this telemovie. Shame really.

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Garibalding:
Antony,

Has there been news about this? Certain sectors of the Sci-Fi Channel not enthusiastic about our beloved tele-movie? I had heard word about it before, but that was WAY back when those reviews from AICN hit the scene. If this is true that certain execs at Sci-Fi are less than thrilled, than they need to look at some of their current programming. i.e. "The Chronicle"? It doesn't get much worse than that flying piece of turd.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not the programming itself they look as much as the rating the programming gets. Your opinion may be fine as "your opinion", but as long as a significant portion of the rest of the public watches it and gives it a decent rating, they'll be very happy with it.

It's the same with the Rangers movie. A handful or even hundreds of people on fannish websites saying "it's good" won't make a difference. Millions of people watching it and liking it is what will matter.

------------------

Garibalding,

Nothing major really, or untoward. My comments is more frustration, due to some very unprofesional people within SCI FI. I am being unprofessional in saying such things but then again, I'm not a company. They are. And some elements let them down.

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

Antony

That's too bad that you've had frustrating dealings with the channel. I work with studios personel and other flunkies all the time in my line of business and it sucks since most are too self important to make time or take advantage of good press when there's an outlet itching to do their work and promote their product. I guess it would be too optimistic of me to think that Sci Fi would be any different. So, in those immortal words...I feel your pain!

SavantB5: I understand ratings and stuff like that being the ultimate deciding factor in TV. And yes, my point was that I think The Chronicle is dung and that's my opinion. But, I think we can all agree that B5 has a little bit more weight behind it speaking in franchise terms making the concept of a spinoff much more palatable in ratings sense. let's face it, aside from Farscape... Sci Fi has yet to create any real break through programming that will have longevity of other classic Sci-fi series. And that's what's frustrating!

------------------
Michael Garibalding: For starters, I don't know you, therefore I don't trust you.

I e-mailed SFC & said I would wear a Rangers t-shirt awhile back. Didn't mention Lord of the Rings, though, even though I want to see it.

I want a t-shirt!
frown.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Antony,

Has there been news about this? Certain sectors of the Sci-Fi Channel not enthusiastic about our beloved tele-movie? I had heard word about it before, but that was WAY back when those reviews from AICN hit the scene. If this is true that certain execs at Sci-Fi are less than thrilled, than they need to look at some of their current programming. i.e. "The Chronicle"? It doesn't get much worse than that flying piece of turd.

------------------
Michael Garibalding: For starters, I don't know you, therefore I don't trust you.

Back