• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

HBO's Rome

Re: HBO\'s Rome

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch "Caesarion" (in Hi-Def, which is just stunning) Where to begin? Cleopatra smoking - what? crack? As far as I know smoking was purely a western hemisphere invention, brought back from the New World by the explorers who followed Columbus. Pipes would have been quite unknown in Egypt or Rome.

Of course, that's no more absurd than an Egpytian queen having had "many lovers" already and rutting with a common solider in the hope of getting herself knocked up. It is plausible that Cleopatra would have given herslef to Caesar, who claimed descent from the goddess Venus through her son Aenas, and who was also descended from the Kings of Alba Longa. But Frick and Frack? Don't think so.

Of course there is no hint anywhere that Cleopatra was ever "missing", much less held captive by her brother. She was in the field with an army. Far from being rescued and smuggled to Caesar by his minions at his behest, she had herself smuggled into Alexandria and delivered to his quarters in the royal palace in one of the most famous entrances in the history of politics or theater. (And she was delivered rolled up in a rug which she got insde just before it was carried off her ship, not stuffed into a bag and dragged sweeating across the desert on horseback. By some accounts she emerged naked.)

That's two famous scenes well attested by contermporary sources that the producers have reduced to farce. (The crossing of the Rubicon was the other.)

The show is definitely getting more ridiculous than entertaining. And what's with the herald doing Jackie Gleason's old "and away we go" move when announcing Caesar's pursuit of Pompey? :)

Regards,

Joe

Yes, the HD is stunning.

What was Cleo smoking? As we all know, tobacco was a New World plant, and smoking it was brought to the Old World after Columbus. Cleo seemed to be addicted, so, opium seems the most likely candidate. Since opium, and cannabis, were smoked in the east, in Afghanistan, India, and China, it is quite plausible that the Greeks, and the Egyptians, knew of them, but I have never read of any historical, or archeological, evidence that they were used in Egypt, or Rome. But, my knowledge of archeology is mostly New World archeology. I would be interested to know if they have any evidence that the Egyptians smoked anything. However, we find more evidence of extensive trade all the time so, who knows?

There is some controversial evidence that the Egyptians used coca (cocaine,) and nicotine. German forensic scientists, analyzing Egyptian mummys, have found concentrations of both, using methodology designed to rule out modern contamination. Cocaine was totally unknown outside of the New World. There is one plant, in Africa, that has small amounts of nicotine. So, this evidence is cited as proof that there was trade between Africa and South America, long before the New World was 'discovered.' This has not been refuted, ASFAIK, but it certainly isn't widely accepted, either. At any rate, I don't think Rome is trying to be on the cutting edge of archeology.

In the context of the show, Cleo wanted to have intercourse at a time she was sure she would conceive, because she planned to seduce Ceasar latter, and wanted to pass of the child as his, and thus extend her power. Joe, I always thought that most royals screwed whom they pleased, but I'll take your word that this is unlikely in the extreme. Does history record that Cleo bore Caesar a child? If not, they have certainly taken a liberty they shouldn't have.

Gee, you should have put a spoiler warning on that! ;)
Just kidding. Well, she did have a son with Caesar. Your link doesn't mention her remaining virginal, before Caesar. It does make her out to be a plotter who could have fooled Caesar into thinking her child was his, but the timing seems quite different from that in the series. I did remember some of the events in your history link, but not too many. Thanks for the link.

But not for certain... just as far as the writer knows. :) Besides, it's historical fiction. I'm not complaining. I'm rather enjoying the series.

Back