• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

G'Kar a semi-regular?

G\'Kar a semi-regular?

This from jmsnews.com:

Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please! please! please!) :-D

That actually would be part of the plan, to have G'Kar as a recurring character, and see other known B5 characters along the way.

jms

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Re: G\'Kar a semi-regular?

Oh, I was expecting that. It's one of the tried-and-true methods to get people to watch your show - add a character from the original series, and make it as interesting an episode as possible, so they'll tune in next week...
smile.gif

I'm pleased!

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Most "guest spots" like those are once a season at most. JMS could, of course, do what he wants with that. But usually the actor's salaries get too high to keep them on regularly after about 5 or 7 years, isn't that the problem?

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Most "guest spots" like those are once a season at most.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like Walter Koenig as Bester or Ed Wasser as Morden?
smile.gif
Even Zack started out as a "per show" guest star.

No reason a Rangers series couldn't work out a similar arrangement with Andreas, with other actors like Mira, Bruce or Jerry Doyle appearing less frequently. They tried this on Crusade with Lyta and Garibaldi, but scheduling, budget problems and (in Pat Tallman's case) miscommunication kept it from happening during the brief production period. (And the characters, if not the actors, of Lennier and Garibaldi were scheduled to "appear" seen from behind or in Shadows in a couple of brief shots.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Here's the flip question - Who would be likely to visit on a re-occuring basis, and who would be appropriate in the series?

I think it's a fairly safe bet, based on the fact that he was "Fired", that we won't be seeing much of President Sheridan. Which is a pity, since he would be appropriate to see occasionally. I doubt that there's any reason why Delenn wouldn't be a perfect second choice. (Or at least I haven't heard anything.)

Vir (Steven... Furst? Sorry, have a bad head for names and I'm too lazy to look it up properly...
smile.gif
) would obviously be interested, since he directed some Crusade episodes. And it would be fairly interesting to have the crew head over to lovely Centauri Prime...

Franklin and Lochley would also be likely candidates based on their "importance" and their Crusade appearances.

That's about all I can think of right now... I'm having a hard time remembering certain plot points (because I haven't seen Season 5 as much as earlier seasons, I can't remember exactly what happened to Lennier, and I'm not sure exactly when the Telepath war erupts...)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I think it's a fairly safe bet, based on the fact that he was "Fired", that we won't be seeing much of President Sheridan. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fired?
crazy.gif

------------------
"SIR ALECA GUINNES CAPTIAVAETS US WIHT A GRIPPING AND POWERFAUL VISIION OF AN APOCALPYTIC WINDOW PROPPED OPEN WIHT A BLUE KAZOO" - Taco the Wonderdog, Wit and Wasdom
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nukemall:
Fired?
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been discussed to death in another post somewhere, but when the series ended, Bruce went on the record publicly denouncing Warner Brothers and JMS because he was "Fired"; that he would appear at conventions for the fans, but that he wouldn't help out with any publicity campaigns, etc, etc. He's also been quoted as wondering why the 5 year period had to be "set in stone"...

------------------

The differences between cast member, recurring character, guest star, special guest star, etc. are all kind of skewed sometimes anyway.

Tracy Scoggins was considered a main cast member of Crusade, but she was in only 2 (maybe 3) out of the 13 produced episodes. Robert Rusler was in the opening credits during the whole 2nd season of B5, but his Lt. Keffer was an extremely minor character and in only 6 episodes. Jeff Conaway was in 7 2nd season episodes but wasn't a full cast member until the 3rd season (and even then he was in only 9 3rd season episodes).

With the exception of one addition in the 4th season and one change in the 7th season, Deep Space Nine's regular cast remained relatively unchanged, but many recurring characters in the 7th season probably appeared just as often, if not more so, than Cirroc Lofton did as Jake Sisko.

Amber Benson appears in almost every episode of Buffy The Vamipre Slayer, but still isn't in the opening credits as a regular cast member.

I'm assuming Heather Locklear was a major player in Melrose Place, but I think she was always listed as a Special Guest Star and yet that title still appeared in the opening introduction.

The nurse characters on ER are always in the guest star list even though many of them appear in almost every episode. The doctor characters Malucci and Jing-Mei left the hospital at about the same time. The guy who played Malucci is no longer in the credits, but the actress Ming-na is. So, does that mean Jing-Mei is coming back to County General, or could a contract dictate that the actress continue to appear in the opening credits for the rest of the season?

So, is there any exact science to how actors are credited? Is there a minimum on-camera time they have to have to be considered cast members or to be in the weekly opening credits? Maybe Joe would know the answer to that (I'm glad he's around more often lately).

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to citizens of NY, DC, and to us all.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wyvern:
It's been discussed to death in another post somewhere, but when the series ended, Bruce went on the record publicly denouncing Warner Brothers and JMS because he was "Fired"; that he would appear at conventions for the fans, but that he wouldn't help out with any publicity campaigns, etc, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That was an outburst just as it hit him that the show was over. He then went on to star in A Call to Arms and shoot footage for the B5 computer game.

The only one I would count out is Claudia Christian.

------------------
"The world is a cold, heartless place... It's hurt you and it's hurt me.
But no more! For now I have the power DiTillio - The power to end the world!" (hear it)
-- Jeremy, "Ragnarok and Roll", The Real Ghostbusters

drakh@spamcop.net

Just How an actor's credits read is governed by Several things: Contracts with the Screen Actor's Guild, Money, what the Particular contract they are working under says, and the desire to "break up" the list of actors in the credits.

Actors contracts have been known to trade Money for a "better" or "worse" location in the credits. The first few spots for actors names in the credits are worth more in terms of "recognition", ie, Publicity.

After 3 or 4 names have gone by, most people Stop Reading.

So, they break up the list by adding in things like "Special Guest" in front of an actor's name. This "interruption" wakes people up and the next two or three names register again.

Then, you get to the differences between Opening Credits and Closing Credits.
SAG rules come into play again.
Every Actor MUST be credited Somewhere unless the Actor negotiates his, her name Out of the credits.
It's only been done a Very few times, mostly for publicity reasons.
One that I know about was the Original movie Superman, back in the 1930s. His contract required him to keep his name and role Secret in the first movie. I met him (the actor) at a Convention. He said they paid him Extra not to tell anyone who he was so they could generate extra Publicity for the movie by playing off the "Superman's Secret Identity" gag.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I think Lochley was featured in the opening credits because she would have become very instrumental in the following seasons of Crusade. There's a reason she was there and didn't just get listed as a guest star - JMS had plans for her that never came to fruition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In an interview prior to the production of the show, she said that she'd been contracted for 8 episodes. The TNT situation probably complicated that.

------------------
But no more! For now I have the power DiTillio - The power to end the world!" (hear it)

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Just How an actor's credits read is governed by Several things: Contracts with the Screen Actor's Guild, Money, what the Particular contract they are working under says, and the desire to "break up" the list of actors in the credits.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not to mention the prestigue of the actor in comparison to the rest of the cast, the importance of the role, and the skill of his/her agent.

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited December 06, 2001).]

I doubt Claudia Christian would want to come back, but if she did, JMS might even be okay with that. If I remember correctly, he seems to have a better attitude about the whole "misunderstanding" (or whatever you wanna call it--let's not get into it again) than she does.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

That's good news.
cool.gif

One other person I know who is happy about that is Kribu. She posted this same article on her message board, and when I left her a message asking if she would be happy about G'Kar being a semi-regular, she said "yes".
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

I would think that old characters would be included as the story called for it. In Crusade when they needed a military doctor from Earth Franklin popped up.

Vir is on B5 at the time of Rangers as is Zack and Lochley so they would likely be seen at some point. G'Kar is in a way freelancing, doing what needs to be done for el Presidente which could very well mean he would be available for stories often. Garibaldi and Franklin are in close to home which does not need much help rebuilding from the Shadow war but than again who thought searching for a cure would take the Excaliber to Earth and Mars so quickly. Londo is probably the least likely to be seen.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:

The only one I would count out is Claudia Christian.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

frown.gif

How about Pat Tallman after her words in the Babylon File Volume 2?

I'd love to see 'em both back.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ninja_Squirrel:
I doubt Claudia Christian would want to come back, but if she did, JMS might even be okay with that. If I remember correctly, he seems to have a better attitude about the whole "misunderstanding" (or whatever you wanna call it--let's not get into it again) than she does.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder what it would take for her to come back, and JMS to take her back?
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

By the time of Rangers, the Telepath War has already happened, and, as it's been said many times, Lyta dies in that conflict. So Pat Tallman would not be returning, no.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
By the time of Rangers, the Telepath War has already happened, and, as it's been said many times, Lyta dies in that conflict. So Pat Tallman would not be returning, no.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flashbacks.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
How about Pat Tallman after her words in the Babylon File Volume 2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jms was still claiming to be open for Claudia's return at the start of the mess... I think it was the subsequent claims that she was fired, and the constant venom from fans who took her side that got to him.

The situation with Pat caused a mere fraction of the missery Claudia did, and it was, as far as I know, a one time statement. I'd be pretty sure he's moved on enough to use Lyta should a story call for it.

(Asuming Pat would be content with a smaller apearance, since she's limited to flashbacks).

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

Latest posts

Members online

Back