• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Girfriend & B5

GKarsEye

Regular
Wow, I haven't started a thread in this forum for so long.

Anyway, as I may have slightly bitched about before, my ol' lady ain't into B5 and, in typical girfriend fashion, teases me about it. Today, surprisingly, she expressed a mild interest now that I got the DVDs. I offered to let her borrow it. So, she now has season 1 in her possession (except the last disc, because I haven't watched it yet).

It will be interesting to see what she thinks, or if she even watches them. Maybe with a little luck, there'll be a new fan.

As long as she returns them to you, you should be godo to go. It would be cool to convert someone though.

But dont let her watch ITB before the rest of the series or at least season 4. Too much of a spoiller IMO

TJ

GKarsEye, you really should know as a fan of King Crimson (and progressive music overall) that wifes/girlfriends are our most dreaded enemies. But of course I don't know how well B5 will fit in the picture... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,
Marko Marin

I don't know a single girl that watches any science fiction show, be it B5 or Trek or whatever. If I could find a girl that has those same interests as I do I would be a happy man.

I hope your girlfriend gets into it and enjoys the series, or season one at least.

The majority of my "real-life" B5 liking friends and acquaintances are youngish women, like myself. You need to relocate, Sinclair. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm a girl, and I watch B5 and none of my friends girl or guy like B5, or any other sci-fi show for that matter.

Oh my God, man, that is so true. King Crimson & girlfriends are like electricity and water. It's even worse than B5.
(Incidentally, I'm listening to Adrian Belew's solo version of Heartbeat right now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

I haven't given her the ITB/Gathering disc. For one thing, as TJGuitar85 said, she shouldn't watch ITB. Also, I personally feel that Midnight on the Firing Line is a better intro to the series than The Gathering.

If your girlfriend doesn't like B5, dump her. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just kidding.

But I dated a guy once who took a lot of offense to my addiction to science fiction. He didn't last very long. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wow! It must be true love! Loaning out the precious B5 rings, er discs! MGKE must really trust this woman. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh yeah, definitely. Last time we broke up, my James Brown CDs got lost in the process.

It's like they take your things for ransom or something.

She's quite a busy gal, so she probably will be going through them very slowly. Also, I'm moving and won't really by using my DVD player for a while, so I'm entrusting her with the set for quite a while. I hope she realises the weight of this grave responsibility. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's cool! Let's hope she becomes a B5 fan. If so, I will congratulate you GKE on a job well done! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and I suppose all of us single girls here are chopped liver? Really Sinclair, you should think a bit more before you say something. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd be willing to bet someone here is near you.

It's like walking into Babbage's and hearing two of the guys complaining they can't find any girls who play videogames, or will even put up with their addiction. I felt like saying, "hey guys, remember me? The girl who spends all her money here? The girl who has 75 PSX games and 41 PS2 games? I come here every day, you morons!" Unfortunately, they were talking about someone like Britney Spears playing games, not your average girl. As if they were Tiger Woods look-alikes! Pah.

I literally dragged my wife through the whole 5 year run, and given she generally despises sci-fi, I think that is a very good indication of how good B5 is (she refuses to watch any Star Wars, thinks William Shatner should be shot on sight, etc).

I have told her that as soon as I get my Season 1 DVDs, we will be watching the whole lot again - and she didn't seem to upset by that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is that surprising? B5 is the BEST series in television history.

I'm serious when I say that. At least thats my opinion, the only one that matches up is Quantum Leap in my mind, and I love all the star treks, hercules, sliders, etc, but B5 went above and beyond all those , for me.

Reading your posts makes me greatful, my girlfriend is into sci fi. She will watch anything as long as it is good. Earlier this year I introduced her to B5 and we watched the entire run in less then a month.

As for girls not being into sci fi, definatly a myth. I have noticed at sci fi conventions that they always out number the guys.

I currently do not have a girlfriend, but I just might make being a B5 fan or converting to one in the future a possible condition of the relationship. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was hooked on B5 by a woman. She is, however, about forty years older than I am, married, and has three kids. But she knows the series backward and forward, owns one of those Ranger pins, and we have great discussions. So the male-only thing is kind of a myth.

It probably got its start in that bad sci-fi is an excuse for lots of really big explosions and girls in skimpy costumes. As B5 doesn't really go in for either of those (at least not as a rule) it might be more acceptable.

No, you didn't say that. I think all those later examples have been mentioned because Sinclair in his post said he's never even met a woman who likes B5 or scifi, or something like that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back