• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Finally! Official confirmation of 2nd season

Lyta

From http://sho.com/jeremiah/

<font color="orange">"JEREMIAH" QUEST CONTINUES FOR SHOWTIME/MGM AS POPULAR SCI-FI SERIES IS RENEWED FOR 2003

SERIES STARS LUKE PERRY, MALCOLM-JAMAL WARNER AND SEAN ASTIN AND WILL NOW BE DELIVERED IN HDTV

NEW YORK, NY (Oct. 2, 2002)-- Showtime Networks has renewed JEREMIAH for a second season with 15 additional episodes and has added Sean Astin ("The Lord of the Rings" "Staying Together") to the show, which stars Luke Perry (Beverly Hills, 90210) as "Jeremiah" and Malcolm-Jamal Warner (Malcolm & Eddie) as "Kurdy." The Sci-Fi series from MGM is created for television by sci-fi icon J. Michael Straczynski, creator & executive producer of Babylon 5. It has been an important part of Sci-Fridays on SHOWTIME along with the network's other new series ODYSSEY 5. The show will go into production October 23, 2002 and will now be produced and aired in high definition television - HDTV.

In the new season, Sean Astin, known for his role as Samwise Gamgee in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, will play a quirky colorful character named "Mr. Smith" who will partner with Warner's character, "Kurdy." Together they will go out on the road to help forge new alliances that will help in the rebuilding of their nation.

The series is set in a future post-apocalyptic world where, almost a decade before, a deadly virus wiped out the world's adult population sparing only those who hadn't reached puberty. Now, the oldest survivors of the "Big Death" are trying to survive and create a civilization out of the chaos that ensued after the adults died, and with them much of society's collective wisdom.

During the first season, Jeremiah was hoping to locate a mysterious place called Valhalla, which his father claimed might hold some hope for the survivors, but this personal quest was redirected when he met up with Kurdy and they discovered a group of highly organized survivors at Thunder Mountain who wanted to enlist them to orchestrate peace among the warring factions and to try and prevent the killer virus from returning. As the second season opens, Jeremiah has been separated from Kurdy in the aftermath of a struggle with forces from the Valhalla Sector. He is being held in captivity and is about to be reunited with his father - a mysterious figure who holds the answers to many secrets about Jeremiah's world.

JEREMIAH is based on Platinum Studios' comic book-to-film adaptation based on the award-winning comic book by Belgian author Hermann Huppen. The series is being produced by Jeremiah Productions Inc. in association with Lion's Gate Television and Platinum Studios and will be distributed by MGM Worldwide Television Distribution.

Straczynski will serve as showrunner and executive producer, alongside Grant Rosenberg who has produced and written for "The Outer Limits" and "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman." The executive producers also include, Luke Perry, Scott Mitchell Rosenberg who developed the hit film Men In Black and Ervin Rustemagic. Showtime creative executive is John Vasey. For MGM the creative executive is Craig Roessler.</font color>

To the newsletter Channe!

Excellent. I like Sean Astin ever since Goonies :)

[MrBurns]Excellent![/MrBurns]

Can't wait - though I take it if it goes in Production later this month, it'll be a while till we get to see it - probably like last season (March that was, wasn't it?)

Yup, I would expect the new season around March like last year or even a little later. It probably depends on how quickly they can pull things together. Just to compare from the production schedule last year ...

<font color="orange">The first pilot shot was at 1:58 p.m. on 5 September 2001. The 18 episodes of Season One were shot immediately after the pilot. Shooting concluded on 24 April 2002. Five to seven days out of each seven shooting days are outdoors. Post-production on the last episode of Season One was completed on 2 July 2002.</font color>
(Source: http://worldsofjms.com/jeremiah/)

Good news. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And I'll have time to catch up in the meantime, now that I've got all the eps... still haven't watched anything than the pilot though, I've been caught up in other things.

I wish I had Showtime. I would watch it then. But, I can't. But, from what I heard, it sounds really good. And, it sounds like it would be even better with Sean Astin in it. He's one of my favorite actors. Grr, I wish I had Showtime!

Yup, I found a few places where Jeremiah is getting coverage. Stay tuned to the newsletter to find out more.

In the meantime, here is what JMS had to say about the newest cast member:

Oct.3.2002
<font color="orange">Here's the funny thing, and how I knew that Sean would be added to the cast the moment I heard his name in the running.

Understand that I have not only never worked with a Sam before, I've never even MET a Sam prior to the past year. Never used anyone in a script named Sam (once a Samuel, but that's about it).

I wrote a character named Sam into the Jeremiah pilot.

Next thing you know we hired Sam Egan.

Now on board comes Samm Barnes.

And who does Sean play in LoTR? Sam.

I'm up to my ass in Sams here.

jms</font color>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Well, I'm certain Astin will do a marvelous job for being one of the many Sam's JMS has met lately.

Thanks for share that Lyta, hilarious. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm really looking forward to Season 2, now that it looks that Kurdy and Jeremiah will be separated a bit longer than expected. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The show will go into production October 23, 2002 and will now be produced and aired in high definition television - HDTV.

[/quote]

[Kosh] Good. [/Kosh]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Yup, I would expect the new season around March like last year or even a little later.

[/quote]

(Yes, I am quoting myself! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Someone asked JMS when Jeremiah's season two would start at V-Con this weekend and all I will say until I can get the Q&A session transcribed is ... I was pretty much spot on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He just made my week, my month, my whatever by loving the mouse pad I made up for giving away on THE ABYSS and by letting me get a photo with him. (Read the thread in the General section about V-Con 27 for a little more info)

I will post the photo later. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some more season two info that I found on RASTB5M from another lady who attended V-Con.

Oct.16.2002, jbonetati wrote:
<font color="orange">Joe will be writing 13 of the 15 episodes of the upcoming season. He didn't say who would be writing the other two, but Samm Barnes (who wrote 'A Means to an End' last season) was there and JMS introduced her to the audience. I hope she'll do at least one more this coming season, though I can't think of any way that the Theo scene could be topped.</font color>

I replied:

<font color="yellow">I don't remember JMS saying this in the Q&A so did you ask him while you were getting things signed?</font color>

And she responded:

<font color="orange">Yes, exactly. I asked about the number of shows he'll be writing, and when he answered 13 and I teased about old habits dying hard, he explained that it was by request (of Showtime, presumably).</font color>

Good Im glad JMS will be writing 13 of the episodes. Maybe thats why they cut the season down to 15 episodes so JMS could write it mostly himself. The other 2 i hope she writes as a Means to a End was good

capt

Wow! Great news, definitely more interesting tidbits to look forward to Season 2. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Didn't JMS declare that he didn't want to write a TV show himself ever again? 13 out of 15 episodes is pretty much just that.

So are we still looking at March as the start of season 2? This is the biggest cliffhanger of my TV life, since I got into X-Files and Star Trek way after they started being on the air. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll have access to Showtime, since I'll be moving a couple of times. I'll have to recruit some body to tape it or something...

The difference between Babylon 5 and Jeremiah is that his duties on Jeremiah are, as far as we can tell from press releases and information, scaled back much farther.

In B5, he wrote the whole season, which was longer than Jeremiah's, and had all the day-to-day responsibilities of an on-set producer. In this season's Jeremiah, Grant Rosenberg will be taking up that hat while JMS deals with the creative writing-casting-story stuff.

(I think. That's what I understand.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back