• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Farscape S2 R1

Right. :)

During the commentary for this ep, they were saying how some fans got pissed that it implied that Crichton had sexual fantasies about the women. I would be upset if he didn't. If Star Trek showed us anything, it's that brightly colored women are sexy.

Lack of pilot stuff- a relationship between Pilot and Crichton has never been established beyond that of casual respect. To John, Pilot is part of Moya, part of the background of his life. If it were Zahn or Aeryn in the Scarran's chair, then you bet Pilot would have a major role.

Rygel as the obnoxious prick of a boss and as the guy who he threw off a high staircase is the one person on Moya who John genuinely dislikes- I mean, it's not one of those "oh, you naughty thing, you lovable rascal" deals. No- he really hates him. He managed to established meaningful and fulfilling relationships with everyone else, but not him.

Using "dream logic," I look at the first ~3/4 of the episode as significant symbolism or allegory of John's mind and the rest as extremely abstract. This is how a lot of dreams work- it starts off with some logic but then spirals into complete madness. This also jives with the Scarran starting off by trying to pry at John's mind craftily and then, at the end, just slamming him with insanity brute force-like.

I watched all but the last ep. The one where they're on that planet that disappears and grow old was very, very good. I admit, I got a little ferklempt when Crichton opened the locket at the end and saw his picture.

The three-parter was cool, though after letting it settle in my brain I couldn't help but think it didn't need to be three episodes long. The plot got a bit far-fetched when they recruited all those people from previous episodes and made it feel like a clip show. I'm also having a hard time buying Crais' whole reformed act. You don't just stop being a vicious maniac.

I look forward to watching evil Crichton in the finale.

The three-parter was cool, though after letting it settle in my brain I couldn't help but think it didn't need to be three episodes long.
Well, there's an interesting comment. Actually, it was the first 3-parter (LatP) that was originally planned as a two parter. They couldn't edit it down that far and still have it make sense and have everything that wanted kept still in it, so they went back a filmed a few more scenes to fill it out to 3. That's why, if you go find the production numbers, one part of the LatP trilogy comes several episodes after the other 2.

The plot got a bit far-fetched when they recruited all those people from previous episodes and made it feel like a clip show.
Well, recruiting those other guest characters brought some cannon fodder into the mix. Moya doesn't travel with a ready supply of casualties like ST:TOS's red shirts. ;) Pulling off that whole invasion without any casualties would have been a bit farfetched, even for Farscape.

The LGM trilogy is also the origin of the name of the "Durka Rule". That is the one that states that we *believe* that a character is really, truly, permanently dead when we see someone carrying their head around on a stick for a while .... and not before.

I'm also having a hard time buying Crais' whole reformed act. You don't just stop being a vicious maniac.
Well, it is important to remember that, odd as it may seem, Moya's crew is the closest thing that Crais has to an ally that would actually help him at some point (even if they would be doing it mostly to help Talyn).

Possibly more to the point, Crais must keep Talyn relatively happy with him. Remember during S1 when Moya cut off life support to the crew during her pregnancy? It is well to remember that Leviathans *do* have recourse against their occupants. Talyn is still very attached to Moya. Without Talyn's support Crais is in an untenable position, even if he did manage to get off Talyn on a shuttle.

It is well to remember that Leviathans *do* have recourse against their occupants.

It seems they remind me of this every episode. Throughout season 2 it's as if Moya doesn't give a shit about the crew more often than not.

Interesting to see where they go now with D'Argo's son. If they kill him off or something horrible happens to him, it would be too cheap. There's a line between realistic or dark and just clawing. Killing kids is usually the latter. But I also hope he doesn't stay on the ship, because I hate kids on my TV shows. That's why I've always like the Warf situation: send him off somewhere so that you could bring him back if you need to but he's not around all the time to piss us off.

A cute little thing about the opening credits: they use the same one both seasons and one of the things Crichton says is "I have a mad man chasing me" or something like that. In season 1 that applies to Crais. In season 2 that's Scorpius. Poor John, everybody wants to kill him.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back