• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

drazi gender

Nancy

Beyond the rim
I'm currently reading the Technomage Trilogy, and there is a female drazi mentioned in passing in one of the books. That got me wondering, I don't remember hearing about female drazis in B5, where are they? I think in one of the episodes, it was mentioned that drazi women didn't have the same rights as men so they stayed home, I also heard that the drazi were hermaphrodites. Does anyone know about Drazi gender?

We know that the Drazi ambassador has a wife. Londo plays some mind games about her (assuming it's a her) with the ambassador through a bug the Drazi tried to plant in his quarters.

Yes, I recall Londo provoking the Drazi ambassador with talk about his wife. One could guess that Drazi genders are simply very similar. Most aliens, humans included, might not notice the difference.

yes, but male drazi have a skin flap, just under the right shoulder..................lol, or something like that

Oh yeah! I forgot about the ambassador's wife and the the skin flap. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Lennier has it right - as far as I know. I don't have the quote, but I think JMS stated that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between male and female Drazi if you're not a Drazi (or a thief who knows where to look - but most live Drazi wouldn't let you get that close /forums/images/icons/grin.gif). This makes sense - no reason to expect as wide physical difference between the genders like we Earthers have - especially since the Drazi are reptillian and seem mostly monochromatic in skin color. I think most people refer to Drazi as "he" since they just can't tell - even their voices are distinctive.

The mages could tell the Drazi was female probably because of all their sensors and experience ... but maybe even more likely was the fact that she was trying to act like a Human and possibly acting more femininely.

And as for Londo ... he has a way of finding the ladies. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I guess physical attraction doesn't count for much for the Drazi. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What's a good name for a female Drazi? All I could think of was Liz (short for lizard...I know, bad one) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well it's not like we hear many Drazi names in general, heh. For most of the actual series it was "Drazi Ambassador" or "Drazi Merchant" or whatnot. I don't think anyone ever addressed the ambassador by his (or her if there happened to be a female at the time, not like we could tell, heh) propper name. Other than the books ... the only Drazi I can think of where we heard an actual name was our beloved heavy lifter Tirk. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Drazi that sacrificed himself to save Makas, did he have a name? Or did Markas just call him "friend" or "Drazi pilot" or something? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I honestly don't remember.

There are some Drazi names in B5CCG (I don't know, if it's right to do so, but I kind of trust them).
The Drazi ambassador is named Vizak and there's someone called Harkar.

I have no idea about the etymology or sounds of Drazi names, so I'm just making them up for Redux. Of course, this thread just gave me a huge idea. Thanks, everybody.

I wonder what idea... oh wait... do we know which gender Tirk is? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="#DC143C">Originally posted by hypatia:
The Drazi that sacrificed himself to save Makas, did he have a name? Or did Markas just call him "friend" or "Drazi pilot" or something? I honestly don't remember.</font color>

[/quote]
I think it was Drozak... I could be wrong though.
I do know that Markas says the guys name. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wasn't she playing an androgenous (pardon the spelling) person. I think all Minbari were, at first, to be that way.

I thought I heard that JMS wanted Delenn to be a male in season 1. But he just didn't like the effect (the voice and the make-up I think) so he changed his mind and had her be more female after the pilot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back