• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Different characters saying the same thing...

jnk5y

Regular
While rewatching B5 for the upteenth time I noticed that a few characters repeat what others have said. It emphasizes the point of the line. I thought i'd go over a couple i've noticed.

first
Emperor Turhan to Sheriden in Coming of the Shadows
"So much has been lost, so much forgotten, so much pain, so much blood, and for what I wonder."

Vir in The Long Night when they are leaving Narn
"What was it all for I wonder . What was any of it for?"

2nd
Emperor Turhan to his Prime Minister again in Coming of the Shadows
"you have always served me well old friend, and sometimes I think I do not thank you as much as I should."

Captain Sheriden to Ivanova in The Long Night
"I don't think I ever told you what a good friend you've been and how proud I am of you."

Any more?

This sort of fits in; all the times that Garibaldi is told to watch his back. The first is in "TKO" by Walker Smith, foreshadowing what will happen to him in the S1 finale, and later in "WWE2" Sinclair tried to tell warn him to do the same.

I remembered another
Turhan to Sheriden
"and our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast terrible in between."

Lorien to Sheriden
I really don't remember the line but he mentions something about being between tick and tock and about being stuck in between.

How about everyone's obsession with the word 'hell'...

SHERIDAN: "I blew it straight to hell"
GARABALDI: "Everything's going to hell"
KEFFLER: "It looked like it came straight from hell"

And many, many others...

For those of us watching Jeremiah, there have been a LOT of quotes that have directly mirrored B5 quotes, almost word for word.

-Tim

Just noticed one last night myself.

In "Acts of Sacrifice" Franklin suggests to Ivanova that she could get out of having sex with the Lumati emissary by dosing her with something -- the Lumati doesn't know anything about her physiology. She says "That's it!" and he says, "All right, I'll go get a needle."

Marcus, of course, then uses the same formula for the Booji routine in "Voices of Authority."

Just noticed one last night myself.

In "Acts of Sacrifice" Franklin suggests to Ivanova that she could get out of having sex with the Lumati emissary by dosing her with something -- the Lumati doesn't know anything about her physiology. She says "That's it!" and he says, "All right, I'll go get a needle."

Marcus, of course, then uses the same formula for the Booji routine in "Voices of Authority."

Except in his case, it was a bucket. ;)

Rommie ;D :D

This is the only example in this thread that is remotely a case of characters repeating things. As some of our more sarcastic members have indicated indirectly, phrases like "I wonder" are hardly so unique either to or within B5 as to make their repetition somehow remarkable.

Joe

Forget the exact episodes, but the phrase that goes something like:

"he maybe a pain in the butt, but he's our pain in the butt"

has been used a few times in B5 & Crusade!

And, of course, do not forget:

"And so it begins..."

spoken by both Kosh & Galen :)

Don't forget the ultimate repeated line, spoken by almost every character sooner or later:

'If you want to talk later, you know where to find me.' :)

Makes one wonder though, what is the most common phrase in b5.

I know "Some must be sacrificed if others are to be saved" is spoken numerous times...

And, of course, do not forget:

"And so it begins..."

spoken by both Kosh & Galen :)

Kosh was echoing that from Delenn though. Delenn said it first.

Kosh probably said it first, as he was the oldest. He said it to Valen, who turned it into one of his catch-phrases, and it worked its way into the Minbari ceremonies....

Delenn used to say stuff that Duhkat said all the time like....

"I'm not saying anything. I didn't say anything then, and I'm not saying anything now."

;)

"What do you want" and "Who are you" are both pretty common phrases in life, but they're used over and over again in B5 with the same overbearing overly-deep tone. It's used almost as a theme that whole episodes or series of episodes are based around on more than one occasion.

Morden to the ambassadors.

Lorien to Sheridan (both statements).

Galen to Gideon (both statements -- even put in big white letters on the intro to Crusade).

There's also a voice in the Season 5 credits that says "What do you want." It sounds like Sheridan but it's in the season 1 section so it must be Sinclair I guess.

Delenn used to say stuff that Duhkat said all the time like....

"I'm not saying anything. I didn't say anything then, and I'm not saying anything now."

;)

Actually,Delenn repeated what Dukhat said because she was being sarcastic

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back