• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deleted scenes?

Relight

A US advertisement in Scifi.com magazine for the DVD season 1 set clearly says "deleted scenes" as extra material.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I just got mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifand I can't find it.I saw the ad too and have looked on the dvd .Any one else find out what this is ?

No idea but my guess is that someone put that on the ads without really knowing what was on the DVDs. Deleted scenes are typically included as an extra so maybe they figured it would be a "safe" thing to add. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

In any case, my contact at WB Online is checking into this along with the "a new Babylon 5 television series and video game" which are apparently "in development" ... at least that is what a 4 month old press release said. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hopefully he will have more information in the next few days.

Yeah, I think it was just a screw-up in the ad. B5 didn't have much in the way of deleted scenes. The writers generally wrote tight scripts, the actors weren't allowed to ad-lib, and TV schedules and budgets generally require that everything be much more planned out than feature films. They usually don't have the luxury of filming stuff that they might not use. And since they are locked into a running time, they can't arbitrarily trim things they aren't happy with out - that would leave them short for the episode.

Most of the editing and tightening on B5 doesn't seem to have involved whole scenes, at least from the way JMS has described it. Mostly they'd trim a few seconds off a reaction shot or a transition to keep the shows moving and to hit time targets. On more than one occassion I know they've simply moved a scene from an episode that was running long into one that was coming in a little short (a luxury that shows without a continuing story line don't really have.) So I really doubt that the material is there to add much of a deleted scenes supplement.

Don't forget, we're talking about the same WHV that put the credits for the original version of The Gathering on both the VHS and DVD releases of the re-edited version ("Music: Stuart Copeland"), put a shot of Delenn from The Gathering on the S1 box cover, and used a picture of Martin Sheen from River of Souls as the artwork for the disc that contains "Soul Hunter". I'd be surprised if there weren't something wrong in the print ads. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Thanks Lyta/Monica, by the way nice website. I'm just stoked that B5 is on DVD now, re-discovering the best sci-fi series ever /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif since I only ever taped a few episodes.

Thanks Relight! Glad the site is appriciated and helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think a LOT of people who were fans but haven't seen the whole series in a while are rediscovering just how good B5 is. I am on a mailing list where people are just amazed how much better season one is on the second time around. I remember that feeling when I re-watched it and am really looking forward to it again. It has been a while since I have taken a run through the series and it will be fun to experience it again. In fact, I might have to try and convert a few friends in the process. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoeDM, I had a little blurb on my site that I didn't think their press release was entirely accurate and the WB Online guy got a little miffed about that. I clarified why I thought so and said that I was definitely not the only one. I also mentioned that over the years the fans have learned to take everything they say with a huge grain of salt. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At least he seemed understanding and is trying to help out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In any case, my contact at WB Online is checking into this along with the "a new Babylon 5 television series and video game" which are apparently "in development" ... at least that is what a 4 month old press release said.

New series? I tend to doubt that, but I suspect that was talking about Rangers - which isn't happening. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

>I think a LOT of people who were fans but haven't seen the
>whole series in a while are rediscovering just how good B5 is.

yeah wow, it's amazing how good it is right from the start!

within the first five episodes, all the hilarious stuff as well as the little details: only now do i realize that when londo touches adira's back and she smiles at him, he's stroking her! londo and ivanova drunk /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif g'kar's "i'm thinking" song, the minbari ceremony when delenn looks at sinclair (marriage plotline to goto sheridan), the goddess that is on the centauri feast table, although it has male centauri genitalia, etc.. etc..

i watched five episodes yesterday when i should have been doing term papers (sigh).

i know this has nothing to do with the subject (tho it does a bit) on the back of my in the begining dvd (uk r2) it says
"only one man stands in the way of the minbari , a man with a plan so daring and brilliant he will earn the name starkiller "
ehh ?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
ithis was obviously wrote by someone who doesnt have a clue what babylon 5 is . he probably hasnt even seen it .

Sheridan earns the Minbari title/nickname Starkiller for destroying the Minbari Black Star class warship in "In The Beginning".

The description on the DVD is not quite accurate. That also applies to the descriptions on most films.

Back