• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Convince me

ElScorcho

Regular
Okay, now I've got seasons 2 and 3 on DVD. Every time I'm at the CD/vid store I see the season 1 package staring at me. The reason I haven't bought it is that I spent a lot of money getting all the eps on VHS (1 & 5 are the only entire seasons WB managed to release), but it still tempts me.

Are the commentaries good? Is the picture better? Does the letterboxing make a difference?

Somebody twist my arm here.

You ain't a B5 fan if you don't have season one on dvd.As for the fact you have all the vhs tapes WB produced well I have all of season one on vhs as well and I stiill bought it.But then again s1 is one all time favs of the whole show so my opinion is a little biased.and if it's money get one on ebay for much cheaper.

I have all the VHS tapes released, seasons 2 & 3 on DVD, and I'm not a B5 fan?

:rolleyes:

Sorry, SM. You've not convinced me.

The JMS commentaries are awesome on two episodes. The wide screen format is good if you have a wide screen TV, otherwise there is no real advantage. The sound quality is amazing. The picture quality is better then regular TV or VHS, but not as good as on new DVD movies. Its grainy in a few places.

Last but not least, they take up way less room on your shelf.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to have 5 big fives lined up on your shelf insted of 3?

Hmm. Now we're getting somewhere.

JMS commentaries are always insightful. I am kind of curious as to what sort of "behind the scenes" features they came up with as well.

But all those tapes...

Has anyone had any luck selling them off? I doubt the local resale shops would want to take them ALL off my hands at a fair price (or even a price that would cover the DVDs). It's a bit of a dilemma. Not very many people I know even buy VHS anymore. I know I wouldn't. Ebay, maybe?

It also had information/docus about them trying to sell the show :), and yeah the two comentaries were really cool!!!!

I personally loved the docummentarie with Walter Koening as host (it ran for what, 25 minutes?) in my opinion its much better than anything that can be done exclusively for the DVDs, since this was made at the time on the show the interviews are actually on set. lots of insight on the music, the CGI, gives you a pretty good idea of what they were trying to accomplish in year one. Oh and Michael O´hare appears on it.

For the most part i'd say keep the tapes but here a few reasons to get the dvd's

- Your tapes are disintegrating as I type this and as you read it sorry to say.

- By Any Means Necessary, scene where the Sinclair walks into the area with dockers. With 5.1 you feel like you are in that room with them.

- Commentaries

- Making of B5 short

- Will last for a houndred years.

Of course you can hold out till you are in a better financial situation. Your tapes should be good enough for now so I'd say wait till you can comfortably afford them.

Your tapes are disintegrating as I type this and as you read it sorry to say.

I have considered this - even when I bought them. But they looked a hell of a lot better than my vcr recordings w/commercials.

And I had been planning on getting the whole series on tape.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

The ironic part is that the DVD season sets are a lot cheaper than the tapes were. Only six eps were released at a time (three tapes) and each of those cost around sixty bucks. So the whole first season (incl. The Gathering)already cost me over two hundred dollars.
:eek:

So, even though I can manage to afford to buy the s1 set, there's the principle involved.

Convince you? Okay...
If you buy season 1, and watch the DVDs on a big screen, with a dynamite audio system, you will have simultaneous eye and eargasms. Only by watching all five seasons on DVD can you attain true enlightenment and universal understanding. :D :p :D ;)

If you buy season 1, and watch the DVDs on a big screen, with a dynamite audio system, you will have simultaneous eye and eargasms.

Eargasms? :eek: ;) :p :LOL:

Are your tapes in the letterbox format?

If not, many of the shots just look better (from an artistic composition POV) in the widescreen format. The aspect ratio of the station itself pretty much guarantees this for a great many of the exterior shots. There are also a fair number of multi-person shots that look better in wide screen. For example, the Minbari ceremony in Parliament of Dreams is definitely laid out to look better in wide screen, as is the scene with Londo and G'Kar (with a random human standing between) arguing while waiting for a turbo-lift in Signs and Portents.

The most important reason to buy the DVDs remain that the amazing sales figures are opening some eyes at WB, and MAY (and that's a big "may" there) lead to more stories from the B5 universe. Every sale helps...

-Tim

Or here's an alternative you could try; it's what I do. I'm a B5 fan but haven't bought any of the episodes on DVD or have them on VHS. I watch it on Sci Fi all the time. I just can't bring myself to spend that much yet. When the show is no longer airing on Sci Fi I'll buy it. But however to my original point: I use netflix to rent my movies because they also have television shows on DVD as well as plain movies. I just rent a few discs of B5 and see what it looks like or listen to the commentaries. If you don't want to purchase the entire box set you could try to rent them and you can have 3 dvd's up to 30 days, plenty of time to watch a few episodes or listen to the commentary.

Recoil, I don't care if you care. :)

Pillowrock, all the VHS tapes from seasons 1, 2 & 4 are fullscreen. It's kind of weird to watch it that way now, seeing as how they haven't shown it that way on TV since it was on TNT.

If you buy season 1, and watch the DVDs on a big screen, with a dynamite audio system, you will have simultaneous eye and eargasms. Only by watching all five seasons on DVD can you attain true enlightenment and universal understanding.

Heavy. The Tao of the Jade Jaguar. :cool:

You know what? I think I have just been convinced.

Think how much shelf space your S1 tapes take up compared to the size of a B5 DVD boxset. Lose the tapes and hear your shelves groan no longer! :D

Back