• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Channe Takes On "The Long Road."

channe

Regular
Channe Takes On \"The Long Road.\"

SPOILERVILLE for "The Long Road."

Thanks to a totally awesome benefactor who will safely remain anonymous, I was able to get my slender little hands on a copy of "The Long Road." While I will probably not be able to comment on Jeremiah after today, as I don't and can't get Showtime, I will at least subject you to my thoughts on the pilot.

Now. Let's get on with it.

*clears throat*

When I really like a show or a movie, I can tell. If not for the really giddy feeling I get after I see it, for the simple fact that I've forgotten the passage of time. If I don't like something, or it's boring, I'll check the clock every so often.

Dude, oh, dude. I am so hooked on Jeremiah. I didn't check the clock once. I didn't even THINK about the time, or the fact that I have an annotated bibliography due tomorrow... damn. Jeremiah is one impressive piece of television.

While not a perfect pilot, it was pretty frelling good. My gripes about the B5LR script seeming rushed, forced, and slightly silly do NOT apply here; JMS is at the top of his game, he knows it, and he's showing off to prove it. While there are snippets of painfully expository dialogue throughout the show, they were few and far between, and exposition was handled primarily pretty well.

I'm a writer, so when I watch tv, go to the theater, or go to the movies, I immediately think in dramatic structure. Jeremiah's was pretty good; it was all there, from inciting incident to closure (or denouement, whatever you call it in your part of the galaxy).

I like to think that the inciting incident was Jeremiah's meeting of Ezekiel. One of the neatest tricks of the show was placing Ezekiel in the beginning, middle, and end of the story - and a lot of questions have been raised. Who the hell is this guy, what the hell is he doing using a walkie-talkie (as we very well know such things just don't work in the "outside world" from Theo's amazement over the radio), and most importantly, WHO DOES HE WORK FOR? I like the mad-prophet 'do, and I'm looking forward to seeing this dude a lot more. (And not just because it's Alex Zahara).

Some of my favorite parts of the script are the opening monologue and the repetition of Jeremiah's "Dear Dad; I think about you every day." You hear it once and it makes an impression; hear it three times, however, and it tells you something *very* important about Jeremiah. JMS is *very* good at packing a lot of insight into just a few words.

The flashbacks were handled very, very well. They seemed to be just what they were; fragmented memories, those half-remembered kid memories that you grasp at when you're older and only get faint impressions of. Jeremiah's father is the subject of another really, really interesting insight, actually; through just three lines, you find out that he a) is a big-wig, a higher-up, b) knows a helluva lot about the situation, and c) has enough clout to get himself and his family into Valhalla Sector. Later, you see Jeremiah sobbing over the body of his mother, but nothing from his father; this makes me think the father's going to be a spectre on Jeremiah's shoulders.

And, as we all know, any good writer doesn't include a spectre just for kicks. It definitely MEANS something, and this humble amateur would speculate that it means that the father's gonna appear in some form or another (he's obviously dead, so we're talking about tapes, books, other means, etc.)

Ohhh, it's so *nice* to hear language like that on-screen. Although JMS is definitely messing around in a cable-standards playground here, it was just so satisfying to hear Kurdy say things like "fuckosity" and "shit" in that situation - because, come on, wouldn't you scream out "shit!" if that happened to you?

Besides, Kurdy speaks exactly like a guy I know. He talks like a real person. A lot of the characters do, unless they're talking vintage Straczynski. ("end of the story" is vintage, ain't it?)

I like the veiled references to the changing world and the way these people react to the old technology. I know some of you were wondering what the heck the telephone pole was; for me, it was another insight. Children who were too young to remember anything else *might* remember magically talking to Aunt Zelda over the telephone pole, or remember Dad telling them, "well, your voice travels over these wires." From there, it's only a step to treating that sort of thing as a cult object... after all, it's not like a lot of these people are going to be able to read. They know a lot of the rules of the old world, but as Theo said, they don't know how it works. So this sort of thing - religious adoration of objects, sort of a cargo cult for this new world - is really, really quite plausible.

Theo is one of the best villains I have ever seen. I'm not kidding. A combination of really good character development - you see her from both sides - and fantastic, firecracker acting makes her one of the treats of "The Long Road." JMS uses counterpoint really well to make you just goggle at this woman; first of all, she really cares about the advancement of her town. Second of all, she's willing to do anything to stay on top. Which can be a *very* lethal combination, as we've seen. She's horrifying and fantastic at the same time. I hope we see more of Theo, especially since I don't think that she's going to be very happy with Jeremiah and Kurdy the next time they meet, no sir-ree... although you DO see counterpoint throughout the show, it's used the BEST in Theo. One minute she's ordering cheerleaders for everyone (think about what your ordinary high schooler thinks about their cheerleaders, and you'll understand how that slang was adopted), the next, she's killing people. Oh, shiver.

I like the way JMS insinuates the fact that education is *not* a part of these people's daily lives. Did you notice the line in which one girl said, "I heard there's an army building up on the East Coast from China?" Similarly, the music was definitely music that would have been created by kids who had no exposure to any formative trends, like Romanticism, classical, rap, rock, or even gregorian chant. The one DOWNSIDE of this was the totally B5 crowd scene. Come on, tell me that scene with Kurdy at the bar with the rock candy didn't remind you totally of a scene with Sheridan and the League of Non-Aligned Worlds...?

A line about Marcus Alexander. "He believes in things, and has the amazing ability to make other people believe in things, too," or something like that. Yeah, Kennedy did that. But so did Hitler. We'll see where this goes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Anybody who kept up on Jeremiah news immediately would have recognized Jeremiah's cafeteria conversation with Marcus as being straight off the press releases. It would have been a lot less jarring if it wasn't the same exact language...

Did you notice something? The NORAD people, with the exception of Simon and Sarah, all have last names. The people outside don't.
Marcus Alexander. Li Chen. Elizabeth Monroe.
Kurdy. Jeremiah. Theo. Sam.

Now, to the best part of the whole damned thing:

JEREMIAH AND KURDY.

I would talk about them for a while, but I have a TON of work to do - so I'll leave off here and get back to this when I can.

I'm so hooked...

Re: Channe Takes On \"The Long Road.\"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
<font color=yellow>
I like the veiled references to the changing world and the way these people react to the old technology. I know some of you were wondering what the heck the telephone pole was; for me, it was another insight. Children who were too young to remember anything else *might* remember magically talking to Aunt Zelda over the telephone pole, or remember Dad telling them, "well, your voice travels over these wires." From there, it's only a step to treating that sort of thing as a cult object... after all, it's not like a lot of these people are going to be able to read. They know a lot of the rules of the old world, but as Theo said, they don't know how it works. So this sort of thing - religious adoration of objects, sort of a cargo cult for this new world - is really, really quite plausible.
</font color=yellow>
<hr></blockquote>

The joke is still on those people because they were looking up at a 12,000 volt electrical distribution pole. Even before the Big D they wouldn't get a call over that line. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I also liked "The Long Road" a lot...imo its best pilot episode i have ever seen.

But i have to say that ep2 ("Man of Iron, Woman under Glass") was big disappointment to me. Capt Iron was like Byron in b5 season5 (Although i liked Capt Iron character). JMS solution to this story was totaly un-original. Very bad writing from him...and Luke Perry seriusly overacted in the end.

But i have to say that other half with Markus and Maeghan(sp?) was very interesting.

Sigma

Channe:

I really am happy you got the chance to see the pilot! Good luck in your quest to see the rest!

Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>Dude, oh, dude. I am so hooked on Jeremiah. I didn't check the clock once. I didn't even THINK about the time, or the fact that I have an annotated bibliography due tomorrow... damn. Jeremiah is one impressive piece of television.</font color=yellow>

Ugh, I hope you are able to see more of the series because I would be going nuts about now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Channe:
<font color=yellow>While not a perfect pilot, it was pretty frelling good. My gripes about the B5LR script seeming rushed, forced, and slightly silly do NOT apply here; JMS is at the top of his game, he knows it, and he's showing off to prove it. </font color=yellow>

Yeah, I have to agree there. While Rangers was good ... most of my excitement about it came from the interaction with the cast and another peak inside the B5 universe. However, after seeing Jeremiah I totally see why Rangers was a bit off. His passion lies elsewhere right now. I really love getting to see JMS in all different incarnations. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I just don't see all the writing critiques like Channe does. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Channe:
<font color=yellow>I like the mad-prophet 'do, and I'm looking forward to seeing this dude a lot more. (And not just because it's Alex Zahara).</font color=yellow>

I know! Couldn't agree with you more ... I am dying to see Ezekiel again and find out who the heck he is. Great work Alex!

Channe:
<font color=yellow>Some of my favorite parts of the script are the opening monologue and the repetition of Jeremiah's "Dear Dad; I think about you every day." </font color=yellow>

Did you see the opening credits I took from MoI,WUG? I liked it very much. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Channe:
<font color=yellow>it was just so satisfying to hear Kurdy say things like "fuckosity"</font color=yellow>

I think that has got to be my favorite word right now ... just wish I could use it more often! *laughs*

Channe:
<font color=yellow>unless they're talking vintage Straczynski. ("end of the story" is vintage, ain't it?)</font color=yellow>

Huh? Maybe it is because it is not as fresh in my mind like it is yours, but what exactly are you referring to? (Maybe it is just my sleep deprived brain /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif )

Channe:
<font color=yellow>I know some of you were wondering what the heck the telephone pole was; for me, it was another insight.</font color=yellow>

I love this explaination for it and I thought it was just some foreshadowing JMS was setting us up for (which he still might be) but yeah ... I totally see it this way too now. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Channe:
<font color=yellow>Theo is one of the best villains I have ever seen. I'm not kidding.</font color=yellow>

I know. I can see why they were blown away when they cast her. Did you see the interview where they originally were going to go with a guy in drag for this role? So, so glad Kim took off like that and can't wait to see her again too.

Channe:
<font color=yellow>A line about Marcus Alexander. "He believes in things, and has the amazing ability to make other people believe in things, too," or something like that. Yeah, Kennedy did that. But so did Hitler. We'll see where this goes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif </font color=yellow>

Oooh sneaky of you to suggest that but yeah ... now I am going to see Markus in a slightly different light. Especially after episdoe #3 last Friday. *evilgrin*

Channe:
<font color=yellow>Did you notice something? The NORAD people, with the exception of Simon and Sarah, all have last names. The people outside don't.</font color=yellow>

Hmm, I did but I thought that was due to the fact that the people inside TM have more information and a life more like it was before the Big Death. Makes sense that they still identify themselves by full names.

PS: Theo does have a last name as well (Drake) but it wasn't mentioned in the show ... only on Showtime's web site. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Channe:
<font color=yellow>Now, to the best part of the whole damned thing: JEREMIAH AND KURDY.</font color=yellow>

Yup, totally blown away and impressed by them. I love their interaction and see why they work well together. Welp, sleepy time for me now ... good to hear how much you liked it Channe and all the analysis (even if I don't understand some of it /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ) /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Now my burning question is ... where is Theo's town in relation to TM? We heard that it is most likely within a 350 mile radius so did anyone figure out in which direction or a name of the town?

There was a name in "The Long Road." I left my copy of the tape at my relatives', so I'll have to wait a few days to check until they get it back to me.

Theo's town is *definitely* within 350 miles of Thunder Mountain. There's something with a car - you can only go as far as the gas tank allows you, unless you want to hook it up to a horse or get out and push.

I smell conflict! (Hey, if I were Theo, I'd be MIGHTILY PISSED at Jeremiah right now).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back