• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Catching Up With Rising Stars (Spoilers)

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

This week I had some extra money so I decided to catch up on some comics reading!

I got Batman 10 cent adventure, Detective Comics, Planetary: The Fourth Man TPB, the Ultimates #1, Amazing Spiderman #37, Daredevil #29 and...

the topic of this post: RISING STARS!

6 issues of Rising Stars in fact!

I got issues 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, & 17.

(aside: They didn't have 16..
frown.gif
But I asked the guy at the comic shop to order for me. He said he'd try. *crosses fingers*)

I have to say this series is still GREAT. JMS is crafting an amazing story here and the art keeps getting better and better IMO.

Here's my thoughts on the Rising Stars issues I read:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> In #11, I figured the lady who can bring back the dead was going to bring John back but I didn't see her death coming! Wow. #12 was shocking because of the light guy..but most shocking of all, IMO, was when it was revealed that Critical Maas was controlling Jason (and also the other specials who had turned bad)! I would NEVER guessed that! I thought Jason (and the others) were really bad. And then #13, the doc died and the specials begin their new quest..to change the world! Wow, another story point I never saw coming! JMS is writing such a great story here. #15 & #17 Jason starts to make ammends for what he did..and starts paying the ultimate price. He's dying..and his family dies. And also Matt is still in a coma in #17..wonder if he will come out. Hmm. Also I should mention..I hated missing #16. Hope I get to read it </font></td></tr></table>

Can't wait to read more of Rising Stars. Does anybody know when the next issue will be out?

I know JMS is running behind on his comics, but I do hope the next issue is soon.

I'll try not to miss it!

DF2506
" Who also hopes an issue of Planetary comes out soon..but very much doubts that!"

------------------

Yeah, you should check out some of the past threads that we have had about the comics.
wink.gif

Did you start with RS #11 or was that just the first in this recent batch of comic reading? If you haven't read issues #1-10 then I highly recommend you pick up the first TPB (Born in Fire, Volume 1) which covers the first eight issues. Then, I would try some of the online comic retailers for the other issues you are missing. My JMS Comics section of my web site has reviews, cover images, jms quotes and links to retailers I trust.

As for your assesment of the RS title ... I agree completely with you.
laugh.gif
You should really read #16 as soon as you can. It ended act 2 on a somber note and I found it quite errie since it dealt with the situation in the middle east before the attacks here in the states.

Anyone who likes B5 should read RS since there are many parallels. Plus, I liked the interesting twist JMS puts on the typical superhero concept.
smile.gif

I know Amazing Spider-Man #38 is scheduled for Feb 6th release but no word on RS #18 yet that I have heard.

PS: You should read Midnight Nation as well if you haven't already. It is quite a bit different but really good as well.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Did you start with RS #11 or was that just the first in this recent batch of comic reading?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually started reading Rising Stars with #0, the Wizard Preview. I read it all the way till #10 (aside: I also have the Prelude issue and the #0 with the extra tale), but then we moved to a new place..and I lost track of comics for awhile.

So just this week I got the chance to pick up the issues I mentioned.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> As for your assesment of the RS title ... I agree completely with you. You should really read #16 as soon as you can. It ended act 2 on a somber note and I found it quite errie since it dealt with the situation in the middle east before the attacks here in the states. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try and read it as soon I can. Hopefully my comic shop guy will be able to get ahold of it for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Anyone who likes B5 should read RS since there are many parallels. Plus, I liked the interesting twist JMS puts on the typical superhero concept. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much agreed.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I know Amazing Spider-Man #38 is scheduled for Feb 6th release but no word on RS #18 yet that I have heard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'll keep my ears open. Hope it comes out soon!

Till then, gotta get Amazing #38 when it comes out.

IMO, Amazing and Rising Stars are both great. Can't wait to read more.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> PS: You should read Midnight Nation as well if you haven't already. It is quite a bit different but really good as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read Midnight Nation #1 and liked it but thats around the time I started to lose track of some comics..

I've heard that Midnight Nation is great. I don't doubt it. Next time I get a chance to get some back issues I think I'll go looking for Midnight Nation back issues.

DF2506
" Collects Amazing Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman, Rising Stars, and Planetary. And might collect Ultimates and Daredevil soon too."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Citizen DF (edited February 02, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Citizen DF:
I read Midnight Nation #1 and liked it but thats around the time I started to lose track of some comics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is too bad. Good to hear that you liked it since I had a hard time getting into MN at first. I am glad I did at last!

If it is getting hard to find the back issues you might want to wait for the TPB. Of course, I heard the series won't end until April and seeing how long volume 2 of RS is taking ... who knows how long that could be.
frown.gif

At this point, I almost wish I had waited until the entire series was done since the suspense is killing me!
wink.gif

------------------
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Good to hear that you liked it since I had a hard time getting into MN at first. I am glad I did at last!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I liked it because:

1) I like JMS writing

2) I like supernatural stories (theres not enough Supernatural stories! And expectally not enough good ones in comics) and of course this was not only a supernatural story but a mystery. Not enough mysteries in comics either!

3) Gary Franks art was great

It seemed like a very interesting story to me. I was planning on getting more issues but of course got sidetracked. I really wanted to get everything JMS wrote back then. Still do (just not enough money!).

JMS hasn't disappointed me yet.

Really. I like Rising Stars, I liked B5, Crusade, Legend of the Rangers, his books: Othersyde & Tribulations (I really want to get my hands on a copy of Tribulations; great book!), his Amazing Spiderman, heck I even liked his Murder She Wrote (an episode I saw of it and the movie he did a few years back).

So I was pretty much bound to like Midnight Nation #1.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> At this point, I almost wish I had waited until the entire series was done since the suspense is killing me! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I orignally was going to wait for the second TPB for Rising Stars, even asked the guy at the shop if there was a second TPB of Rising, but of course he said no...

So I HAD to at least ask if he had any RS back issues. He wasn't sure, but he looked and there they were. The exact issues I needed (well expect #16).

Those were the issues he had. The only ones it seemed. The ones I needed. SO I got lucky.

I remember when I went and got some Planetary back issues, he had a couple of issues I had and then a whole bunch I didn't have!

So I guess I just got lucky.

As for Midnight Nation, well if I can't find the back issues I'll wait for the TPB.

Hopefully I'll get the actual issues though. Time will tell.

DF2506

------------------

[This message has been edited by Citizen DF (edited February 02, 2002).]

I think my difficulties with MN were because I was really tired each time I tried to read it and I didn't know what to expect from it. Once I got used to the idea, I loved it! Plus, it was better drawn than RS.
wink.gif

Citizen DF, sounds like you got lucky with the RS back issues so I hope you have as good of luck with the MN ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Really. I like Rising Stars, I liked B5, Crusade, Legend of the Rangers, his books: Othersyde & Tribulations (I really want to get my hands on a copy of Tribulations; great book!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, so you liked Tribulations but you don't have a copy of the book? Did you read it in a library or something? It just sounds strange.
wink.gif
I can give you some links where you can buy it online unless you don't do that sorta thing. I buy so much stuff online that I tend to forget there are a lot of people who just don't do that sorta thing. ...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Hmm, so you liked Tribulations but you don't have a copy of the book? Did you read it in a library or something? It just sounds strange. I can give you some links where you can buy it online unless you don't do that sorta thing. I buy so much stuff online that I tend to forget there are a lot of people who just don't do that sorta thing. ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read Tribulations when it was posted at Bookface.com (I hated when that site went down. I wanted to read the unaired Crusade scripts again and Tribulations again too).

So I read it for free.
smile.gif

One of these days I'll get it. I think I heard its in book stores now, but I'm not postive.

And I'm not really an on-line shopper, but thanks anyway.

Tribulations, IMO, was a great book. I think it was better then Othersyde, but I did like Othersyde too.

I'd also like to read his other book, forget the title, but I know its out of print. Maybe I'm stumble upon it in a library or something.

I need to get my hands on his script book: with the Coming of the Shadows script too! I read a verison of it without it (got it at a library), but haven't read the one with the script.

I have the Star Trek: TNG & Star Trek Deep Space 9 scripts on CD..but you know I'd really like to get the Babylon 5 scripts. It would be great if he put them on CD!

Ah, I can dream.

Anyway, what was the subject? Sorry I'm rambling. Right, Rising Stars. Glad I could get those issues. Next up, Midnight Nation!

DF2506

------------------

Aha!

*light bulb goes on over Lyta's head*

Bookface.com ... I forgot you could read the entire Tribulations story there. I never did read anything there (now, I regret it a little) as I always found it difficult to read a story/book while sitting at my computer. I like to read in bed which is hard ... even with a laptop.
wink.gif

I think it might be in some major bookstores but since I never go there (ok, I did right after xmas but that was only to return a book). You can always call around to see if your local stores carry it. You can also check out DarkTales Publications bookstore list to see if they have a store listed near you.

I have most of JMS' books but I have yet to read them ... not enough time! As for his first novel that you couldn't remember the title of, it is Demon Night.
smile.gif

As for the B5 scripts on CD ... that is a nice dream! Who knows ... anything -can- happen.
wink.gif

Well, at least we are still talking about things appropriate to the Gen Discussion forum so I wouldn't worry about getting too off-topic.
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited February 04, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Bookface.com ... I forgot you could read the entire Tribulations story there. I never did read anything there (now, I regret it a little) as I always found it difficult to read a story/book while sitting at my computer. I like to read in bed which is hard ... even with a laptop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it difficult to read on-line sometimes too, specially with something like Tribulations, but I just HAD to read it.

I started to read it a little and I was hooked. Great book.

And ditto with the Crusade scripts. I HAD to read 'em. Glad I did cause IMO, they were the best episodes of Crusade yet. Its a shame they might never get produced. I think they would have been great episodes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I think it might be in some major bookstores but since I never go there (ok, I did right after xmas but that was only to return a book). You can always call around to see if your local stores carry it. You can also check out DarkTales Publications bookstore list to see if they have a store listed near you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't been to a bookstore in awhile either (just the comic book store), but next time I get the chance I'll look around or call a bookstore about Tribulations.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I have most of JMS' books but I have yet to read them ... not enough time! As for his first novel that you couldn't remember the title of, it is Demon Night.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right! Demon Night. Boy my memory is bad..
smile.gif

Ya, hope I can read that one of these days.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
As for the B5 scripts on CD ... that is a nice dream! Who knows ... anything -can- happen.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some people say I'm a dreamer..but I'm not the only one..

*ahem* Anyway, ya, it could happen.

Though I doubt it will be anytime soon..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Well, at least we are still talking about things appropriate to the Gen Discussion forum so I wouldn't worry about getting too off-topic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. Just gotta remember not to start discussing Legend of the Rangers or Crusade or how sci-fi is making us wait so long..er..

wait..getting off topic.

Better go! *runs*

DF2506

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Lyta:
Well, at least we are still talking about things appropriate to the Gen Discussion forum so I wouldn't worry about getting too off-topic.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Naw, I'll just move ya. It gives me a sense of purpose.
*says (in a cockney accent)* - And then I'm happy for the rest of the day. Safe in the knowledge that there will always be a part of my life devoted to it.

(cuddly toy for the person who knows where that's from. Yes it's off topic, but it's my forum
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
)

------------------
"You know I? I rather like this GOD fellow. He's very theatrical you know, a pestilence here, a plague there... Omnipotence, Got to get me some of that, Hmmm?" - Stewie (Family Guy)

Update:

I got Rising Stars #16 yesterday and it was very good.

And something that I just realized tonight makes it even better.

Recently in a college class I'm taking: Socialogy: Dealing with Deversity, we've been talking about Muslims.

And of course in talking about Muslims the whole Middle east conflict, Jerusalem, Mohammad, the Wailing wall...

...all subjects Rising Stars #16 touched upon...

...came up.

So not only am I talking about it in class for the past couple of weeks..but now I get the back issue of Rising Stars that I've been missing and its talking about the same stuff.

Strange how the universe has such good timing sometimes.
smile.gif

And Friday we'll be talking about how to resolve the Middle East conflict.

So the RS issue has given me some food for thought on the matter.

Plus, as I understand it, the RS issue came out around the time 9/11 happened...

..so there is again..another strange bit of timing on the part of the universe.

I like Rising Stars #16. Heck I like all of the Rising Stars I've caught up on.

This is such a great series. I'm glad I got the back issues. (and I plan to get the back issues or a TPB, when it comes out, of Midnight Nation)

Oh ya, I got another JMS issue this week too.

I got Amazing Spiderman #38.

Its a GREAT issue, IMO. JMS best issue of Spiderman so far (and thats saying a lot cause I thought his other issues were great too) and for awhile now Ultimate Spiderman #13 has been my favorite Spidey story this year..but this story I think might be replacing it.

At the very least these two stories are tied.

Great issue. I've read it a few times now and I'll prob read it a lot more very soon.

DF2506
" Also got an Ultimate Spiderman this week, but the Amazing Spiderman and Rising Stars were the best!"

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Citizen DF:
Plus, as I understand it, the RS issue came out around the time 9/11 happened...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, well it was released on 8/15/2001 but I read it after 9/11/2001 which made the whole read really eerie for me. I got the whole universe timing thing as well but it sounds like you have it even more!

FYI - Midnight Nation #10 is coming out 2.22.2002.

I have yet to get ASM #38 but I really should try to pick that up tonight. I have been really busy lately but I will be out by the comic shop later. I am -really- looking forward to reading it ... especially after the glowing review you gave of it.

I don't read USM so I cannot comment on how it compares.
wink.gif

------------------
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS

>Yes, well it was released on 8/15/2001 but I read it after 9/11/2001 which made the whole read really eerie for me. I got the whole universe timing thing as well but it sounds like you have it even more!>

Well, this time anyway. Can't say the universe has this good of timing with the rest of my life...but oh well...so is life..

>FYI - Midnight Nation #10 is coming out 2.22.2002.>

10?! I've missed that many issues. *sigh*

Well, first, gotta get the rest of the issues.

Might just wait for the trade though..

Oh ya and...any idea when the next Rising Stars is coming out?

(aside: I know I asked before..but hey..gotta hope!)

Now that I'm caught up I really want to read the next issue.

>I have yet to get ASM #38 but I really should try to pick that up tonight. I have been really busy lately but I will be out by the comic shop later. I am -really- looking forward to reading it ... especially after the glowing review you gave of it.>

Hope you like it. The feelings on the issue in the Spidey communtiy as been a bit mixed (but of course its been for all of JMS run, especially this issue & the 9/11 one) but IMO, I think the issue is great.

JMS does something in the issue that I think needed to be done. But thats all I'll say.
smile.gif

Well, expect, I do hope JMS stays on this title for a VERY long time.

>I don't read USM so I cannot comment on how it compares. >

USM is a great title. If you like Spiderman, check it out sometime.

It features a younger, not-so-experianced Spiderman. Brian Bendis, who writes Daredevil and a few other titles writes it.

Bendis is also going to write for the Spiderman CGI cartoon coming in the fall.

Anyway, Ultimate Spiderman is a great title, IMO. And the issue I mentioned, #13, is my favorite issue so far.

Lets just say it has a couple of things in common with JMS Amazing #38 issue.

When you read Amazing #38, I'll tell you more if you want.

Don't want to spoil Amazing!
smile.gif

DF2506
" Needs to catch up on Midnight Nation and a whole bunch of other comics. SO many comics, so little money."

------------------

Yeah, MN is a great title and I am anxious to see how it will all end. There is a bit of a cliffhanger now so I cannot wait to pick up issue #10. This series should finish early this summer (with issue #12) so hopefully you can wait that long for a TPB. Seeing how long it is taking with RS Vol. 2 TPB it might not be available until Christmas!
lol.gif
blush.gif

No word on RS #18 yet ...

Ok, just read ASM #38 ... wow! JMS really put me through the ringer again. Powerful issue and even though I don't know the backstory about Spidey being a "bad guy" nor about his relationship with his Aunt and Uncle, I was still impressed. The lovey-dovey stuff between Peter and May was a bit much there in the middle but the part where she thought he might have been

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> gay </font></td></tr></table>

all these years had me giggling. The ending was great and I wonder how this will affect their relationship and how Spider-Man will evolve because of it.

------------------
Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice. --JMS

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited February 15, 2002).]

Lyta

>Yeah, MN is a great title and I am anxious to see how it will all end. There is a bit of a cliffhanger now so I cannot wait to pick up issue #10. This series should finish early this summer (with issue #12) so hopefully you can wait that long for a TPB. Seeing how long it is taking with RS Vol. 2 TPB it might not be available until Christmas! >

Well, I may or may not wait for the trade. Of course my birthday is in the summer and Christmas would be a great time to get the second..hmmm.

>No word on RS #18 yet ...>

*sigh*

>Ok, just read ASM #38 ... wow! JMS really put me through the ringer again.>

Me too.

> Powerful issue and even though I don't know the backstory about Spidey being a "bad guy" nor about his relationship with his Aunt and Uncle,>

Well, here's some back story on Peter being a "bad guy"

One of the newspapers in Spiderman, the Daily Bugle, publishes a lot of stuff about Spiderman that makes him seem like the bad guy.

This started back in the early days of Spiderman.

You see the publisher/editor of the Bugle, J. Jonah Jameson, doesn't like Spiderman. So he always has his reporters take the "bad guy" angle on Spiderman.

So thats why Aunt May made the "bad guy" comment.

Cause a lot of the people who read the Bugle think Spiderman is bad.

And, maybe a bit of irony, Peter use to work for the Bugle when he was younger (and a little bit while he was older too)
and he took photograhics of Spiderman for the Bugle!

And then those photos would be used in stories that bad mouthed Spiderman!

As for Aunt May and Uncle Ben, they raised Peter.

You see Peters parents died when he was very young. So his Aunt May and Uncle Ben raised him.

Then of course, when Peter got his powers, he used them to make money, let a bad guy get by him, and that same bad guy killed his Uncle Ben.

So basically Aunt May is pretty much like Peters mother and Uncle Ben was like his father..

Thats why emotions were running high in this issue of Spiderman.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Cause it was bascically like Peter lied to his mother about being Spiderman all those years. </font></td></tr></table>

> I was still impressed. The lovey-dovey stuff between Peter and May was a bit much there in the middle>

lovey-dovey stuff? *wonders if he missed something*

From my side of the fence, there was no lovey-dovey stuff. But to each his or her own.

> but the part where she thought he might have been

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> gay </font></td></tr></table>

all these years had me giggling.>

Ya I thought that was funny too!

> The ending was great and I wonder how this will affect their relationship and how Spider-Man will evolve because of it.>

Me too!

My guess is that there is a hard road ahead.

NOTHING is ever easy with Spiderman.

He has very bad luck.

DF2506

------------------

Citizen DF, thanks for the background on Spidey and I got most of that from the context of ASM #38. Still, it is good to know that I was pretty much on target.

As for the mushy part, I was referring to when May and Peter get all

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> teary, say "I love you" and hug. </font></td></tr></table>

I dunno ... maybe it makes more sense now that they have more of a mother-son relationship than grandmother-son one. I think I will have to read the issue again.
wink.gif

------------------

Well, considering the sitution, I think it made sense for them to, well, you know, what you said in the spoiler.

Its just something we don't see a whole lot in tv or comics.

But the characters needed it in this sitution, IMO. The whole issue (and for Aunt May the issues before) was very hard for them both. Prob most of all Aunt May though.

Like I said in another post, a rough road ahead. I think its good they *spoiler*. Who knows what might happen next...

DF2506
" Who just felt lazy and didn't want to put the code in and stuff."

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back