• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR in The Cult Times & B day!!

Hey everyone Alex Zahara here. This is just a quick not to let you know that in the current Special Edition #19 of The Cult Times, thier is a feature article on yours truly and the show of cousre. It is currently on the shelves, you can also view part of the article on line at The Cult Times web site. Cheers, must fly, hope all are well, oh yeah..... it's my birthday on Halloween, happy trick or treating!!

------------------
Dulann

Happy birthday.

Articles like that make me *very* excited over this show. Even in the massive amounts of community theater I've done, it helps a show's quality immensely if everyone involved is passionate about it.

That seems to be very true of this show, too...

------------------
Channe, who lives for the One and dies for the peanut-butter pie
--
"The secret of writing: get your character up a tree, and throw rocks at him." -JMS

I believe the mags site is
http://www.visimag.com/culttimes/

I went unbelievably out of my way to find it..ok, not really. I looked around lazily, but found nothing related thus far...anyway

later you scifi bastards.
laugh.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sven Foriegner (edited October 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sven Foriegner (edited October 30, 2001).]

Hmm. Notice that the author of this article didn't write much. It's almost all Alex speaking. That's something I usually do when I have a bad deadline to make... but the content of the interview is great...
smile.gif

Not that that is a bad thing, of course - the more firsthand info we get, the better... *wide grin* We live for the firsthand info, we die for the firsthand info...

A few funny things, though. The rollover captions to the associated pictures are:

1) The crew of the starship Clandra
2) Dylann and Captain David Martel (Dylan Neal) join forces

Veddy veddy intewesting. Someone over at Cult Times must have been a bit lazy today... that kind of thing would never escape the eyes of the proofreaders where I work.

------------------
Channe, who lives for the One and dies for the peanut-butter pie
--
"The secret of writing: get your character up a tree, and throw rocks at him." -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 30, 2001).]

Happy birthday, Alex! And thanks for the hint.

This link should take you directly to the article... at least I hope so.
smile.gif

Edit note: OK, so not directly but closer.
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

[This message has been edited by Kribu (edited October 30, 2001).]

About proofreading, I'd wager the print article will contain no such errors. For some reason, on-line stories are almost always a mess.

Here's a JMS quote. I don't know if he made this up or just borrowed it:

"It's been said that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters would eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. We now have a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters. It's called the Internet, and it ain't Shakespeare!"

------------------
By Grabthar's Hammer!
By the Suns of Worvan!
You Shall BE AVENGED!
~Doctor Lazarus, Galaxy Quest episode 52, "Today is the Tomorrow of Our Yesterdays"

Woops wrong day but anyway Happy Birthday Alex Zahara I hope you had a great birthday with many more to come
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited November 01, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
About proofreading, I'd wager the print article will contain no such errors. For some reason, on-line stories are almost always a mess.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I agree with you about the on-line stories and proof-reading, I'm not so sure about the in-print article being clear of errors. As a subscriber to another of Visual Imagination's titles, "TV Zone", I am regularly appalled by the quality of the proof-reading and the presentation of the articles. Main problems tend not to be spelling mistakes, admittedly, although some slip through, but really poor transcription from interviews, to the point of rendering interviewees comments nonsensical! I keep promising myself that I'll sit down with a couple of issues, produce a list of the errors and how they should have read and send them in, together with my CV and a letter offering my services as proof-reader. Not got around to it yet, though!

(Ans this post is bound to contain errors now that it's discussing proof-reading!)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> (Ans this post is bound to contain errors now that it's discussing proof-reading!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, two at least.
laugh.gif

FWIW, my Webster's lists Proofreading as One Word.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Well, I do have more respect for someone who puts his name on his work. The article makes me wonder what JMS saw that convinced him so quickly that he had the right guy for the part.

And can it really be said that no Minbari has ever killed another in over a thousand years? Can you seriously have a civil war and claim that?
crazy.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Well, this is after the civil war, and JMS knows it. If he tries to pass off that no Minbari has killed another in a thousand years, we'll all scream about the reset button... there have to be some effects among the Minbari of Rangers. We might not see them during the telemovie, though, especially if there are only two main character Minbari (unless Dulann and Firell are warrior caste/religious caste respectively? Dunno.) That's all speculation, though.

Sometimes when I'm running an audition, we'll read cold from the play. The actors will be able to check the lines for five minutes before they get onstage. As a director, you've already read the script a million times and can quote the thing from beginning to end, and you have a definite picture in your head of what each character looks like, talks like, and you can tell somebody even what they would do were someone to call them a nasty name. This is doubly true if you wrote the script and created that character) So, when you're at the audition, and you watch a number of actors get up and read those lines, they're gonna either hit, miss, or fall somewhere between what their portrayal is and who the character is.

Alex probably walked in, did his audition, and hit closest to the mark in JMS' head. Occasionally, you'll get a number of auditionees who don't fit at all, so you'll have to either audition again or take the most suited and hope for the best. But, occassionally, there's the rare actor that walks in and *is* your character.

The last musical I directed has as a main character Arthur, King of Britain. I had been sitting there for an hour and a half having auditionees read off lines over and over again to figure out who was the best Arthur (this is what you usually do in community theater... pick someone and hope for the best) when this kid walked in late, read the lines, and *was* Arthur.

So, it happens.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

I guess I've been lucky. In high school and college I was involved in the theater. I always got my role, or at worst the second role I auditioned for. And I almost always had to "try doing it this way" or "try that way" during the audition. Watching others do the same, I could see that their first reading wasn't necessarily their best. I think the casting folks also wanted to see which of us could take direction, and which could not.

Never did I feel I had "gotten the part in the first 5 minutes". In fact, my best roll (Meg Brockie of Brigadoon) worried me so much, I was convinced two of us at least would be called back for a second audition. So, I memorized the song "My Mother's Wedding Day" to prove I could memorize the difficult sequence of names quite easily.)

Turns out I didn't need to, I had the part. But the director was delighted!
laugh.gif

------------------

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

I've only had the Arthur thing happen once or twice, and I've auditioned hundreds of people. And, yeah, you do have to check if they can take direction.

I guess it might be different for screen and stage actors who do this stuff for a living. If they don't take direction, they don't get paid.
smile.gif

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

I admit that I may make mistakes on image alt tags too. You type them, you then don't look at them.

But talking of mistakes, you should have seen the press release I got from SCI FI. Not spelling errors, but content errors. Seems they don't know their own telemovie that well...

------------------
"You're such a gentleman. Too bad I'm not a lady." - Max, Dark Angel

"X5-599. I've got a heart for you." - Zack, Dark Angel

A new press release?

Let us see!

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
-f. scott fitzgerald

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
I admit that I may make mistakes on image alt tags too. You type them, you then don't look at them.

But talking of mistakes, you should have seen the press release I got from SCI FI. Not spelling errors, but content errors. Seems they don't know their own telemovie that well...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep getting the impression that something funny is going on at Sci-Fi. I remember Bonnie Hammer getting promoted, and I thought things were going relatively well for them. But now I'm hearing about little things that just seem to hint there is some kind of breakdown in their ranks. Or major disagreement.

Does anyone know if there is perhaps some in-fighting going on there? Have their ratings really slipped lately? They seem to air a show and then pull it (like the original season of EFC). That's something I don't really remember them doing before.

Does anyone know why Sci-Fi seems to have taken a turn towards chaos lately?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Does anyone know why Sci-Fi seems to have taken a turn towards chaos lately?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've decided to adopt the Shadow approach to evolution?
shocked.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
They've decided to adopt the Shadow approach to evolution?
shocked.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Yes, I see. This explains much. 'Tis no coincidence that Bonnie’s last name is HAMMER! AAAAAAAAAAAA.

------------------

This sounds like an organization that is having money problems and everyone is blaming everyone else.

Any sign of insufficient advertising, such as the running of government information films in the ad breaks?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

Latest posts

Members online

Back