• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 S1 DVD promo clips

That's awesome that someone kept the old sim site. Was the reference CD ever released? Cause at the time it was supposed to release, I was seeing all the ads as well, but never found it in the stores.

Thanks again for putting that promo stuff up, do you have higher-res photos of the stills? I wish the official B5 website was alive, I still have all the cool stuff downloaded from it years ago.

I help run a music site and damn I'd be a good publicist, which is something I would like to get into when I graduate from univ. I think. There are good publicists out there too, but also bad ones. It just seems all the bad ones are for the things we love most!

Nope, sorry. I posted what he sent me which the only high rez photo was the box shot. I am sure someone optimized them for the web so they lose a lot of quality that way. You think for DVD screen shots that they could have done better. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif However, beggers can't be choosers. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JoeDM, after thinking about the 30 "novels" for a while, I guess they could have included the season by season guides, security manual, cookbook, TV/Movie based novels, graphic novels, etc. as "novels". That would definitely total more than 30. Still, they should have clarified it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS: The press release was dated July XX, 2002 but who knows how dated the contents of the release were. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It cannot be beyond the wit of man to run DVDs at 24 frames a second.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem isn't the DVDs, it is the TVs they're designed to feed and the frame rates they, in turn, are designed to run at. A PAL TV runs at 25 fps, an NTSC at 30 because of the way their electronics are designed. If you arbitrarily stored the video on a DVD at 24 fps, you'd be sending a singal the TVs couldn't display properly. They'd get out of sync. Besides, 24 fps is merely the standard for sync sound film, and not everything on DVD originates on film.

You would need to use a specially designed TV and DVD player. Hi-Fi enthusiasts are used to paying more for high quality sound.

In Europe even cheap TVs, DVD players and VHS cassette players are able to run at both 25 and 30 frames per second. Since they are already able to automatically change by ((30 - 25)/30) * 100% = 16.667%, a 4% change is not difficult.

A third speed would probably require the equipment to be fitted with a third crystal that is set to 4% less than the PAL radio crystal. The speed selection circuit would have to recognise the slower speed. The sync pulses within the TV are derived from the clock signal produced by the crystal, so will adjust automatically.

As far as I can tell, new TVs in the USA are equipped with 25 frames per second PAL electronics but only have a single crystal. This causes the TVs to lose sync. Adding a second crystal may not be difficult, although both the TV and DVD would need changing. The TV will also need to be able to display the extra (PAL) lines.

Actually it is simpler and cheaper to electronically alter the sound on a PAL recording to compensate for the change in pitch. From what I've heard this is often done for PAL films, and was even done (perhaps by the station or network) when somebody aired B5 in the UK, though it wasn't when the show ran on another station.

Why would anyone want a special TV that could only be used with a special DVD player? A 24 fps set would not be able to handle normal PAL broadcasts. Multistandard sets run at 25 fps or 30 fps - two fixed settings. They aren't infinitely variable and tuneable. Those frame rates were selected in the first place because they were the closest "convenient" frame rates to 24 fps that the electronics (which tend to jump in discrete "steps" and didn't quite land on 24) supported. You have to remember that television is essentially a product of the 1920s through the 1930s, and that color television is a product of the 40s and 50s. The technological limitations of that time were built into the medium, and backwards compatibility demands that we not stray too far from the source. (Of course, in the case of the PAL color system, backwards compatibility was abandoned. Since the installed base of black and white TVs in the U.K. and Europe was not terribly large, the government standards people faced no political backlash when they mandated a color TV standard that made every existing television obsolete at a stroke. The U.S. had millions of TVs installed when color came along, all of them owned by voters, so the FCC mandated that any new color system they adopted would have to be compatible with those b&w sets. Hence the limitations of NTSC.)

Regards,

Joe

So, did anyone else find it strange that the photo for Chrysalis shows Delenn with hair? I haven't seen that episode in quite some time but I thought Delenn came out of her cocoon -after- season two?

It did, some of those photos are wrong, like there is a promo pic from The Gathering on an ep that isn't the gathering - oh well, still nice pictures

My growing suspicion is that these are actually screen shots from the VHS release that they simply reused. My impression from the WB Online guy was that they were from the DVDs but I am not so sure about that anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lyta I don't know about all of them, but these are definitely very old pics. For example, without a doubt the Gathering and Midnight pics are the ones that were used way long ago on the old, old B5 site.

Back