• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 S1 DVD promo clips

Lyta

Sorry to start yet another DVD thread but I can't figure out which one to contribute to and plus, this news might warrant a new thread anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yesterday, I got an email from someone at Warner Brothers Online and they offered to share some of their promotional material for the boxed set. What I found most interesting was the clips for some of the extras that are featured on this set. There is also some banner ads and an old press release as well. Hopefully, they will send me some more items to share but for now, do check out the clips. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/dvds/boxed.html

I just hope that I copied everything correctly since I am now half asleep. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thanks!

one thing, this is from the press release:

"There are more than 30 novels in print set in the B5 universe, and a new Babylon 5 television series and video game are in development."

whats that supposed to mean?

I suppose that is old info. The novels are now published, but the Sierra game got canceled. Warner would hardly mention IFH as the computer game, given that IFH is an unofficial freeware project.

I also noticed the banner advertised, "Deleted Scenes." Is this true? My guess is that its another gaffe.

-Tim

To me, JMS sounds very different on the (Compaq) DVDs compared with the RealOne player. Did anyone else notice this?

I would take that sentence with a huge grain of salt (whatever that means). For one thing, I can only count about 18 novels (9 Dell and 3 sets of trilogies) and the "new Babylon 5 television series" I assume was referring to the Rangers which we all know is dead. I have no idea what the video game reference is about but one would assume if there was a new TV series, then WB would be pushing for a game as well. I haven't been following the game development close enough to know what is going on with that market.

Like I said on my page, I think it is old and outdated information at best but I have posted it just in case they know something we don't. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is also the first time I have heard about "deleted scenes" but maybe those people who have the R2 set can confirm or deny this. I would be surprised if it was true because wouldn't those scenes be long gone by now?

I have no idea what you are talking about Andrew. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif What Compaq DVD player? For me (at home) the sound is all wacky on the QT player but that is probably some incompatibility with our sound card and the player. At work they played just fine. *shrugs*

OMG how can you not know about the offical B5 flight sim that was cancelled!! OMG

here is the old site of the game (way before it was cancelled)
http://216.15.145.59/b5games/

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <sigh> oh for Crusade and the game

I knew the flight sim was canceled quite some time ago but the only time I paid attention to that game was when they gave away the promotional items (poster, watch and mouse pad) after it was canceled. I don't like flight sim games in general so I haven't ever kept up on the B5 game developments.

Aren't there other B5 games out there that people have attempted to make besides the old Sierra flight sim game?

there are no other official games

but there are a number of Mods you can download and also there is the IFH (I've found her) campaign - a freeware babylon 5 game currently in development

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I have no idea what you are talking about Andrew. What Compaq DVD player? For me (at home) the sound is all wacky on the QT player but that is probably some incompatibility with our sound card and the player. At work they played just fine. *shrugs*

[/quote]

I am using a Compaq computer. This comes with a DVD player computer program. The JMS speech downloaded from the promotion clip is very different from same words on the DVD. JMS has a much deeper voice on the clips when played through the same load speakers.

I wonder if the interview was shot on film, and you're experiencing the dreaded 4% PAL speed-up.

[/quote]

It is possible; it is just that I did not expect 4% to be that noticeable.

It definitely can be. Drives my audiophile friends on that side of The Pond up the wall because movie music is so badly distorted, pitch changed entirely, by that 4%. Not quite "Alvin and the Chipmunks", but headed in that direction.

Regards,

Joe

I generally don't notice it at all, except for one case - when I got the first 'Sopranos' soundtrack, I was quite surprised how much slower the theme song by A3 sounded, compared to what I'd been used to hear on TV. That took a bit of getting used to.

I wonder if the interview was shot on film, and you're experiencing the dreaded 4% PAL speed-up.

[/quote]

So the same must be the case with my R1 DVD of In The Beginning / The Gathering. I had the feeling it was running slow, but thought I was just too stoned at that point. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, the sound is noticeable. Go to the states and watch Voyager or whatever, and everything seems so deep.

It cannot be beyond the wit of man to run DVDs at 24 frames a second. My home monitor can be set to 60Hz, Optimal and Device Default. My TV does 50Hz and 60Hz, so adding 48Hz cannot be difficult - particularly if given a controlling clock signal by the DVD player.

The problem with light flicker can be fixed by using battery operated room lights. That is how the EXIT lamps at cinemas are lit, although they use rechargeable batteries.

Time to start a campaign?

My contact at WB Online is looking into the various discrepancies you all have pointed out and hopefully, I will have more to report in a few days.

He did pretty much admit that they could have gotten the novel count wrong but he is trying to get more information about the deleted scenes, new series and game in development. He asked me to remove the press release until he can confirm it's contents.

In the meantime, I have posted the photos from the episodes (sorry, not terribly high quality) and a high resolution image of the boxed set. This may old news to some but I went ahead and added these goodies anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had to create a new page to accomodate all the new stuff:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/dvds/boxed-promos.html
http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/dvds/boxed.html

</font><z><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
It cannot be beyond the wit of man to run DVDs at 24 frames a second.

[/quote]

The problem isn't the DVDs, it is the TVs they're designed to feed and the frame rates they, in turn, are designed to run at. A PAL TV runs at 25 fps, an NTSC at 30 because of the way their electronics are designed. If you arbitrarily stored the video on a DVD at 24 fps, you'd be sending a singal the TVs couldn't display properly. They'd get out of sync. Besides, 24 fps is merely the standard for sync sound film, and not everything on DVD originates on film.

</font><z><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
He did pretty much admit that they could have gotten the novel count wrong but he is trying to get more information about the deleted scenes, new series and game in development.

[/quote]

Sounds like somebody went into the B5 promotional file and pulled out an some old press releases and cobbled the new one together from them. (If the stuff wasn't dated, odds are whoever wrote it wouldn't know it was old. It isn't like the folks in most advertising departments know a hell of a lot about the stuff they're supposed to be selling. Ever read the back cover of a paperback novel you know well and wonder what book the person who wrote the jacket copy had read instead?)

The computer game was almost certainly the aborted Sierra project, and the new series was most likely Crusade. The count of the "novels" could have included comic books (if someone was just counting names and didn't realize what the comics were) and non-fiction books connected with the show. You'd be amazed how many people use the word "novel" as a synonym for "book". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back