• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Rangers T-Shirt Campaign

KoshN

Super Moderator
Well, this morning, I finally got my first Email from B5 Rangers! ...and yes I've already replied!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

----- Original Message -----
From: "Babylon 5 Rangers" <b5ranger@icarus.usanetworks.com>
To: <Undisclosed recipients: ;>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 5:41 PM
Subject: B5 Rangers T-Shirt Campaign

> Dear BABYLON 5 fan,
>
> Thanks for your enthusiastic reply to our call for grassroots ideas to
> help support the SCI FI Channel's BABYLON 5 movie, THE LEGEND OF THE
> RANGERS. We received lots of fantastic ideas, so keep an eye out for them
> around your neighborhood, online and on the air, as January 19, 2002,
> quickly approaches.
>
> In appreciation of all your help, we would like to reward you with a
> specially designed, SCI FI Channel THE LEGEND OF THE RANGERS
> T-shirt. Here's the catch: We'd like you to wear it on December 19 to the
> opening night of THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. It
> seems like the perfect way to spread the word about RANGERS, and the ideal
> sci-fi enthusiast crowd to reach. If you cannot attend the opening night
> of LORD OF THE RINGS, we would love for you to wear your RANGERS t-shirt
> on whatever day you do see the film.
>
> In addition, starting November 26, we will be launching a massive online
> campaign, so be sure to look for RANGERS interactive trading cards and
> downloadable flyers. Enjoy the cards and flyers yourself, e-mail them to
> fellow B5 fans, or send them to potential new B5 fans! If you're really
> keen to help promote RANGERS, print the flyers for distribution at your
> local record store, fan convention, college student forum and community
> center or in any other high-traffic areas.
>
> All these reminders will keep the premiere date fresh in everyone's minds,
> and it gives everyone a cool promotional item from the movie.
>
> Last, but not least, mark November 15 on your calendar for the first of
> many RANGER-related online chats at SCIFI.COM. At 9PM ET, join Alex
> Zahara ("Dulann") as he takes time out to get to know the fans of BABYLON
> 5 and discuss his work on RANGERS.
>
> More RANGER chats coming up on SCIFI.COM include:
>
> Thursday, November 29, 9:00 PM ET - Dylan Neal ("David Martel")
> Thursday, December 6, 9:00 PM ET - Dean Marshall ("Malcolm Bridges")
> Thursday, December 13, 9:00 PM ET - Warren T. Takeuchi ("Kitaro")
>
> Don't forget to please respond to us via e-mail and let us know your full
> mailing address so we can send you your free T-shirt.
>
> We are eager to hear back from you and appreciate your role in the RANGERS
> promotional effort. Your help is certain to make a difference!
>
> WE LIVE FOR THE ONE. WE DIE FOR THE ONE.
>
> Visit http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers for the latest news and updates on
> the series.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> SCI FI Channel
>
>

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Yeah, after reading the Sci-Fi article, I wrote to them and told them that I wasn't in one of the target cities for the car wraps, but I sure as hell would be watching Fellowship of the Ring on opening day and could I have a T-shirt?

(Boy, talk about a run-on sentence)

They replied yesterday afternoon and asked for my mailing address.

Cool!
laugh.gif

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one.
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention one, or THE one.
Hmmmm.

You never heard that."

I sent them an idea, but I never got anything back like this - do you think if I asked them now, I'd get a T-shirt? I'll definitely be at the first showing of Lord of the Rings...
smile.gif

Awesome! It's great to hear that we'll be able to chat with Warren, too! That's a new surprise!

The "grassroots movement" was a smart move on Sci-Fi's part. They were able to get loads of good ideas from their target audience (market research for free!). Also, bulk t-shirts aren't really that expensive, and neither are the other things they're describing.

I do hope that they don't sacrifice regular marketing to grassroots organization. Even with today's tight fan networks, there are still potential audience members that can only be reached by a good, well-placed network ad.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 16, 2001).]

Channe, I just sent my email to them on Wednesday after you posted the article.

Just write them now and tell them you're going to "The Fellowship of the Ring". They should get back to you fairly quick.

FYI - I sent my request to:
b5ranger@scifi.com

but the letter posted above came from :
b5ranger@icarus.usanetworks.com

You could jump a step and email directly to that address with your mailing info, if you don't think that's too pushy.

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say. This was one.
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention one, or THE one.
Hmmmm.

You never heard that."

Unfortunately Cleveland wasn't one of their target cities for ratings. I'm wondering if inspite of that, could I still get a T-shirt? Heck yeah I'd wear it in public if I had one and tell everyone who asks what B5 is all about!
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Just write them now and tell them you're going to "The Fellowship of the Ring". They should get back to you fairly quick.

FYI - I sent my request to:
b5ranger@scifi.com

but the letter posted above came from :
b5ranger@icarus.usanetworks.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you KoshN for posting the email. I am bummed I didn't get one so I changed my prefs on scifi so that now maybe they will send me stuff like this.

Also, B5_Obsessed, I tried the first email you gave and it bounced so I hope the second one will work.

Thanks again!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
What do we tell the children? Do we tell them evil is a foreign face? No, the evil is the thought behind the face, and it can look just like yours. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

I just e-mailed the icarus.usanetworks e-mail address. I hope I get a shirt, because I was planning to attend Rings, anyway.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RW7427:
Unfortunately Cleveland wasn't one of their target cities for ratings. I'm wondering if inspite of that, could I still get a T-shirt? Heck yeah I'd wear it in public if I had one and tell everyone who asks what B5 is all about!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, neither is Pittsburgh!

I sent them ideas, and subscribed to the Rangers Newsletter at http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ three times. Other people were getting emails long before I did. I'm not sure what finally made them send me an email.

I think their target cities were to do with where they were going to do car wraps. The T-Shirt effort is going to be more wide spread.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
I just got a reply. They are sending me a t-shirt! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Argh! I sent my email before you and still have not heard anything. This sux.
frown.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
> If you're really
> keen to help promote RANGERS, print the flyers for distribution at your
> local record store, fan convention, college student forum and community
> center or in any other high-traffic areas.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mention of factories and offices. This implies that Sci-Fi assumes that Babylon 5 fans do not have jobs.

Is this a valid assumption? Or is Sci-Fi unnecessary limiting the advertising it can carry? Also its adverting for viewers may be missing some important places.
crazy.gif

------------------
Andrew Swallow

Just take note that one of the SciFi channel's advertisers is IBM.

They wouldn't be advertising on the channel unless they thought somone with Decision Making power was watching.

If you saw their commercial (IBM running Linux) the computer they were advertising costs BIG Bucks.
It's an OS/390 style machine capable of replacing up to 500 Sun Unix servers with a single box.
No one advertises unless they expect some segment of the people watching the commercial to spend More money than the commercial cost.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

I'm hosting a Lord of the Rings line party on Dec. 19 in Irvine, California, but if you check out this website, you'll see line parties are going on all over the world. So, to help with this promotion, find a party to go to and see if you can get Scifi to give you one of their shirts. I want one, and I'm looking for ways to get one, but I'll be at the party whether or not I get one. Bringing
flyers will also help, since they will be making those available next weekend. So, party on and let's get this thing promoted.
http://www.theonering.net/movie/lineparty/

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Kailin

------------------
Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Kailin

I happened to go to rec.arts.sf.tv & noticed that they were laughing a how stupid they thought SFC's t-shirt campaign was. I posted in the thread, & who should come out of his hole but JMS' old enemy, Ford Thaxton the Mega-troll! Ford's still on his old kick, predicting the end of the B5 universe. With how well B5 has been doing for SFC, I think Ford's act is getting pretty tired.

I don't care if those morons laugh--I'm going to wear my shirt with pride!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
I happened to go to rec.arts.sf.tv & noticed that they were laughing a how stupid they thought SFC's t-shirt campaign was. I posted in the thread, & who should come out of his hole but JMS' old enemy, Ford Thaxton the Mega-troll! Ford's still on his old kick, predicting the end of the B5 universe. With how well B5 has been doing for SFC, I think Ford's act is getting pretty tired.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It got tired YEARS AGO. I rarely stop by the land of trolls (rastb5) anymore. Who needs to wade through all that piss & vinegar?
tongue.gif
crazy.gif

I don't care if those morons laugh--I'm going to wear my shirt with pride!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here! I just hope "LotR" isn't on the shirt anywhere. That's be embarassing.
blush.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Oh, & when Ford replied to my post, he also sent another copy of his reply to my e-mail address, too. Still up to his old tricks!

If Rangers becomes a series, Ford's going to really hate it!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

I happened to go to rec.arts.sf.tv & noticed that they were laughing a how stupid they thought SFC's t-shirt campaign was.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It should be noted that the "they" at the time both actually liked B5. They just dislike the whole "enthusiastic fan" mindset, and Podkayne in particular feels subtelty and tact means tying a pillow around the seldgehammer. Once you manage to accept that, it's actually possible to get along with them.

(Of course, Podkayne has been spotted sucking up to various Andromeda writers. I'm going to have to get her for that... Oh yes will *cackles evilly*.) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I posted in the thread, & who should come out of his hole but JMS' old enemy, Ford Thaxton the Mega-troll!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ford's actually been a good boy lately, and only goes off when summoned by name. When he was active, he'd try to turn every single thread into "why jms is a lying bastard", and as long as that's not happening, I think he's better left alone.

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?"
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
(Of course, Podkayne has been spotted sucking up to various Andromeda writers. I'm going to have to get her for that... Oh yes will *cackles evilly*.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put me on cc for that. I haven't had much fun recently.
wink.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Put me on cc for that. I haven't had much fun recently.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't hold your breath. These things take time... Months... Years... Everything needs to be just right...

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?"
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

I cannot stand people who try to ruin other peoples' enthusiasm, which is why I don't like individuals like Podkayne & Ford. Who do they think they are--the Science Fiction Taliban? :p

Anyway, I won't be responding over there again too soon. A few years ago, I got into a major flame-war with Ford, & it got me nowhere. I just like to remind the trolls once in awhile that I still exist
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

Latest posts

Members online