• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Rangers Review Compendium

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe we can use this topic as a place to post reviews as we find them in the media.

I tend to get exposed to a lot of magazines and newspapers because I work at a place where we get lots of free ones AND I work in Manhattan, where you can't walk two blocks without stumbling onto a newsstand.

Here's what I found this morning:

SOURCE: Time Out NY
CIRCULATION: 112,000
SECTION: Time In (Television, Radio, Video & Technology

TEXT:
This chintzy TV movie, a continuation of the now-canceled series, find the
elite Rangers using martial arts to restore order to hundreds of
civilizations destroyed by the Shadow War. It's like "Seven Samurai"
directed by Roger Corman.

------------------

What does "chintzy" mean? Is that a real word?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Main Entry: chintzy
Pronunciation: 'chin(t)-sE
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): chintz·i·er; -est
Date: 1851
1 : decorated with or as if with chintz
2 a : GAUDY, CHEAP <chintzy toys> b : STINGY

Main Entry: chintz
Pronunciation: 'chin(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: earlier chints, plural of chint, from Hindi chit
Date: 1614
1 : a printed calico from India
2 : a usually glazed printed cotton fabric

From Merriam-Webster On-Line

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 16, 2002).]

In other words, it's an adjective that we would not want to see in connection with the Rangers movie.
crazy.gif

And the "now-cancelled" series doesn't exactly sound fabulous either. (BTW, is it SO unheard of, in the USA, to plan a show to have five years, that if it ends, the people automatically assume that it was cancelled?)

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

So the movie is made out of an Indian cotton fabric? And it's like the Seven Samurai, one of the most influential and classic movies of all time? Wow, how can you not watch this? Especially since most movies are made out of film. Seeing a cotton movie would be quite interesting. I've often thought of making one out of a Persian rug, but that was too expensive, so I'm gonna go with a polyester movie. It will, of course, be set in the 70s, with soundtrack by Isaac Hayes.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

LOL, G'Kar's Eye!

That was certainly a lousy review, though. It must be from some reviewer who hates SF. Oh, no--not one of *those* reviewers again!
tongue.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
LOL, G'Kar's Eye!

That was certainly a lousy review, though. It must be from some reviewer who hates SF. Oh, no--not one of *those* reviewers again!
tongue.gif

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether he likes or hates it is debatable, but he was familiar enough with it to note that John DeLancie is known as Star Trek's Q.

DeLancie is a guest star in next week's The Guardian.

And under the listing for "Alien Resurrection", he says "Tell anyone who scoffs that it's from the director of Amelie"

So, the guy doesn't lack for cultural references. I actually enjoy reading the TV section for this magazine. The comments are entertaining.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
So he's probably a standard Trek Lover/B5 Hater.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not necessarily... Outside fandom there seems to be a fair bit of "Trek is ok because everybody knows Trek / All other scifi shows are crappy cheap copies" type people. I certainly doubt an entertainment journalist would need to be a die-hard Trek fan just to recognize "Q".

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
Whether he likes or hates it is debatable, but he was familiar enough with it to note that John DeLancie is known as Star Trek's Q.

DeLancie is a guest star in next week's The Guardian.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So he's probably a standard Trek Lover/B5 Hater.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Source: Hollywood Reporter
Circulation: unknown (online review)

Babylon 5 The Legend of the Rangers
Jan. 18, 2002
By Michael R. Farkash

[snippy snippy]

-[Deviot]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited January 18, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited January 18, 2002).]

Not a 100% positive review, but I can accept this one better than the "I hate B5, & this movie sucks"-type of reviews that have been turning up. Review the damn movie--don't bring your personal feelings into it, reviewers!

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

SavantB5 -

Please do not qupte the entirety of an article (even if it's not online). That's a violation of copyright and a violation of your user agreement. Thanks!

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Please do not qupte the entirety of an article (even if it's not online). That's a violation of copyright and a violation of your user agreement. Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. Seems to be happening quite a bit around here lately. Not only is it wrong (on so many levels) to copy the content from another source but it also makes it hard to read when the posts are so long. What ever happened to posting links or summarizing?
frown.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
There is nothing to fear in the dreaming, only that which we bring with us. --Dukhat

Hmm, judging from the various reviews this really does sound like Star Trek (original). At least based on the characters. Since the original series is my favourite of the franchise (I exclude Enterprise), that isn't exactly a bad thing. Would have been better perhaps if they didn't have a doctor (Firrel could be a historian of sorts instead). Would certainly boost the tense situations.
smile.gif
Perhaps have a medical console that does the work.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

The characters...

1. They are a bit younger.
2. They are not limited in any sense.
3. The actors' skills are commendable.
4. Hence they can become anything.

What they become will depend on the story. This is up to JMS, but I can imagine more than a few important themes to touch, more than a few interesting questions to ask. More than a few moments of joy, and those of sadness. If JMS keeps his tradition of "just wanting to cause a barfight or two", he will ask the questions and allow the characters to become very real.

I would try no less. I would settle for no less. But did you get a great insight into G'Kar or Garibaldi from "The Gathering". I bet you did not. G'Kar was a cardboard villain with one humorous line. Lyta was simply a telepath. Londo was a one-dimensional sentimentalist. Of the alien characters, only Delenn seemed to have something behind the hideous make-up.

The limits of a pilot movie simply didn't allow for more. The setting of a space-station enforced its limits, as does the setting of a starship in case of "Rangers". I would be a fool to decide basing on negatively prejudiced reviews.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 18, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back