• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Movie marathon

I don't recall "The Gathering" doing that. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

I could understand if they showed a few clips from various episodes ... but showing clips from 90 minutes of filmed footage reveals alot. And yes it was meant to be a pilot ... but also a telemovie so they didn't have to.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I don't recall The Gathering doing that. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif<hr></blockquote>

That's because it didn't, as I noted. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

However: if Warner Bros. had followed the original B5 game plan - shoot the pilot, immediately start work on the series, air the pilot in week one and start airing the series in week two - they might very well have done what was done with Rangers.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I could understand if they showed a few clips from various episodes<hr></blockquote>

What episodes? There are no epsiodes of Rangers, and it wouldn't make sense to show clips from B5 or Crusade. The opening credits from Maude didn't feature clips from All in the Family, after all. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif And what was "given away"? Under a mintue of silent clips from various parts of a movie doesn't give away too much. Certainly not compared to the complete-with-dialogue spoiler effect of most modern theatrical movie trailers.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>... but also a telemovie so they didn't have to. <hr></blockquote>

Granted. But they did choose to do this, and JMS and Netter, not Sci-Fi, assembled and approved the main titles. Whoever had the original idea, JMS had to at least agree to it, so it isn't some arbitrary thing that Sci-Fi did after the fact to waste screen time, which seemed to be what you were implying in your earlier post. For all we know JMS wanted this approach and talked the network into it.

Regards,

Joe

If I recall correctly, the clips during the opening sequence were of Martel yelling about, Dulann running down the hallway, Cantrell in the weapons pod... ok, so you know that Martel can give orders, Dulann can run and Cantrell can shoot things. That's not much of a spoiler, considering that we already knew Martel was the captain, Dulann, umm... had lungs, and Cantrell *would* shoot at things. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

That's what I mean ... they didn't have the extra episodes so I thought it was silly. It's my personal opinion but I think I have a right to nit-pic for just this given I didn't throw my hat into the fire when everyone was arguing about the plot and the characters. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

And it seemed more a SciFi thing to do (to me) since I've seen previous SciFi movies which have done similar (maybe not the opening but the comercial breaks and stuff) and it stood out as different from watching the other B5 movies earlier in the day. Geeze, why is everyone is jumping down my throat on this ... it's my personal opinion ...

I don't think it matters - it was just a style the chose to give the movie

As for The Gathering not doing that - well, we are talking early 90's here - style has changed a lot since then
- and jms is always wanted each spin-off to have it's own feel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back