• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 DVD review

does the time at which a person buys a dvd matter?
if i say bought it in a month would that be more or less beneficial?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EntilSedai:
does the time at which a person buys a dvd matter?
if i say bought it in a month would that be more or less beneficial?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, yes. They saw the jump in interest on the pre orders. Apparently demand on initial release has been strong enough to cause price increase.

Seeing interest sustained in the release over the next few months should let even the weasels at WHV see that releasing B5 DVDs will be a good thing for their balance sheets...

I have no basis for this opinion than basic common business sense, which is not all that common unfortunately. So it may mean nothing at all...
crazy.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

AndrewSwallow, Joe D already pointed out the crucial difference between VHS and DVD: with DVD, you can get movie theater quality video and sound. If someone gets their hands on a high quality DVD, in the correct aspect ratio, of a movie and has a decent setup at home, that person will not go see the movie in the theater. This is not true for VHS. A VHS is never a good substitute for a movie theater experience. A DVD can be.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

The movie theater experience?

To be honest I do not know what that means. The joy of standing in a queue? The comfort of having someone disturb you? The lovable phenomenon of lousy acoustics, should you happen to sit in the wrong place. The fun of having to find a decent seat?

I have not visited a movie theater for more than a few years. Video cassettes are far superior to cinema, at least for me. You can choose your own place and time, choose your company and watch the film when you like it.

DVD and VHS are pretty equal competitors when you compare them with cinamas. It overcomes VHS only after you consider storage, price, high-definition screens and high-quality sound systems.

No, the point of home theater is to get the benefits of the movie theater without the disadvantages.

Movie theater advantages: large screen, correct aspect ratio (this one is crucial for people who like movies), high quality surround sound. This can achieved at home by owning a good TV, preferrably one that is some of the following: large, widescreen, flat screen, digital; a good set of speakers, including two stereo, one center, two for the rear, and perhaps a subwoofer, as well as a receiver to play it all in. Combine decent equipment with a good DVD, and you can get all the advantages of the movie theater.

Movie theater disadvantages: all the stuff Lenier posted, none of which you get at home.

VHS can rarely, if ever, be used to get a theater-quality presentation because:
1) VHS are usually released using Pan and Scan or other tricks that take away the correct aspect ratio
2) Deterioration of tape damages quality.
3) Even a "bad" DVD picture is way better than a VHS

All this is why DVD started out as a niche market, which is now slowly crawling its way into the market place.

Anyway, my original point is that there are lots of folks who would buy a DVD of a movie they already have on VHS, me included. Watching a VHS is like watching a movie on TV. Watching a good DVD with the lights out in a quiet room is properly viewing a film.

------------------

There is something to be said for watching a movie as a group experience. Occasionally feeling the ebb and flow of a crowd and simply feeling that you are experiencing something as a group can outweight the idiot behind you with the cell phone, the children, and the idiots who can't wait to hold their conversation. Ok it doesn't happen often but it does happen.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
The movie theater experience?

To be honest I do not know what that means. The joy of standing in a queue? The comfort of having someone disturb you? The lovable phenomenon of lousy acoustics, should you happen to sit in the wrong place. The fun of having to find a decent seat?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to admit that I quite like the new multiplex (yes, I refuse to call it by its official name
laugh.gif
) - you should give it a try, at least once.

I'm not really a big movie-goer but I've seen about 4-5 movies in the multiplex and have enjoyed the overall experience each time. The seats are comfortable, there is plenty of space to stretch out your legs, and even if you happen to sit behind a basketball-player size person, you can still see the screen well. And the sound is good as well, regardless of where the seat is.

So yeah, I prefer watching a movie - at least certain movies - on big screen. Some movies just have to be seen on big screen - I've found that several movies I have liked immensely lose a lot of their magic when watched later on video/TV.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Anyway, my original point is that there are lots of folks who would buy a DVD of a movie they already have on VHS, me included.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me included as well. But not for picture or sound quality. I recorded my Babylon 5 tapes from cable onto quality tape -- and although I can clearly notice their inferior resolution, it does not bother me at all.

If they would be long-lasting and PC compatible, I would feel no need for DVD. My appreciation of DVD is not focused on superb quality, but superb compatibility and lack of degradation. This is also why I hate region codes -- they artificially reduce the excellent compatibility of DVD.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited December 06, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Some players handle this "downconversion" process better than others. (Older models from some companies were especially bad, virtually all newer models from all companies are extremely good.) The bad one produce a slight "stair-step" pattern on fine lines and other minor picture flaws. But there is no loss of resolution. You're seeing exactly the same number of lines of picture information off an anamorphic widescreen disc that is "letterboxed on the fly" by your player as you would on one that was encoded as straight letterbox in the first place.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I need to check again with you what is considered a good DVD player, since last time I was talking about receivers and it turned out that mine was out of date. I'm hoping that my DVD player could still be considered if not top of the line, atleast one of the superior players. It is the Sony DVP-NS400D and I bought it a few months ago, and it was a nice chunk of money so I guess what I'm asking for here is reassurence that I have a kick ass player which will read these discs good.
laugh.gif

Sorry to waste your time, but I wanna know that I won't have to buy a new player or something if I wanna experience this properly.

------------------
When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing - Anonymous
You can't have everything.... Where would you put it? - Stephen Wright
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action - Anonymous

Solaris, the best way tell it if a DVD player is "good" is to see it and touch it yourself. Try to tell if it's put together well (no lose parts, no rattling sounds if you move it, smooth solid exterior, etc) and if there aren't too many unnecessary lights, buttons, and other cute thingies that actually can damage the player because of all the extra circuitry.

I recommend sticking with Panasic and Sony, unless you go for something a bit more underground. In that case, make sure you research consumer reports on the product carefully.

Most decent players should be able to handle Dolby Surround and DTS sound formats. I highly recommend making sure yours does that.

Than there are extra thingies you can consider that may or may not be desired, and which make the player more expensive
1) If you have a digital television, you'll want progressive scan output. If not, and your analog TV has composite video input, than you want a player with composite output.
2) Most DVD players should have optical and/or digital sound output, something to take advantage of if you have a receiver.
3) All DVD players should be able to play CDs. Some can also play CD-R, CD-RW, mp3, and/or DVD-A.
4) You can also get a changer that holds multiple discs.

The last two are something to consider if you want to use your DVD player to play music as well. I do use my player to play music, even though it doesn't have the last two features, because I only listen to store-bought CDs (yes, I'm old fashioned).

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Modane:

When the Grey Council ship was bringing Lenon(sp?) up to talk with them I couldn't really hear the sound effects right. There was some distortion or something like that. Other than that, it's good enough for me.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it wasn't just me. I was watching it and it sounded distorted to me, too. I don't know... is that the way it's supposed to be? I don't have my VHS taped version with me to compare.

------------------
We say atoms are bound by
weak attractors.

Why not admit the truth:
The universe is held together by love.

Michio von Kerr,
Wayist physicist,
CY 9942

GENE RODDENBERRY'S ANDROMEDA
"BANKS OF THE LETHE"

After watching both sides, I only have one minor complaint about the audio quality on Side B.

When the Grey Council ship was bringing Lenon(sp?) up to talk with them I couldn't really hear the sound effects right. There was some distortion or something like that. Other than that, it's good enough for me.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

I just watched it last night, and I didn't notice the audio glitch you refer to.

Guess I'll have to watch it again. Ah, the burden of research.
wink.gif

Actually, I was delighted with the DVD. Yes, I'm used to having a few more goodies on the DVD, and the flimsy cardboard jacket is a bit annoying.

However, this release (and the expectation that the show won't be too far behind it) are the REASON I got a DVD at all. I'd managed to resist all this time.
crazy.gif

When I ordered during the pre-release, I also ordered a DVD and a 25 inch TV because I only had a little 13 inch color TV for the last 3 years or so.

The picture and the audio quality vs my much beloved tapes is astonishing. (Part of this is no doubt due to the bigger screen TV, but I'll take it anyway.)

So, I'm really happy with the purchase. Even if I do find the audio glitch you mention during my "research" viewing.

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>When the Grey Council ship was bringing Lenon(sp?) up to talk with them I couldn't really hear the sound effects right. There was some distortion or something like that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went back and specifically watched the whole Lenon section from his conversation in the City of Sorrows until his arrival at the Council chamber. The "beam up" (sorry
smile.gif
) had a great deal of bass it in (my subwoofer was cranking) but it was not at all distorted. I then watched the same section on the laserdisc. The dialogue on the LD sounded a bit "thinner" and there was a bit less bass in the "lift off", and again, no distortion.

It is possible that the soundtrack (which is encoded as Dolby Digital 2.0, there is no analog English track) doesn't sound as good downmixed on a ProLogic system. If so, this is something that WB needs to watch on future releases, since the majority of fans probably don't have digital receivers at this point. It may also be that the bass-level overwhelms some speakers, especially on systems that don't have separate subwoofers.

The DVDs certainly support JMS's contention that they mixed the soundtracks with a very wide range, and very agressively, skirting the limits of broadcast television. The battle scenes are especially impressive, and Franke's soundtracks really shine. I can honestly say I've never heard either movie sound better, can hardly wait for the episodes to arrive.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
I went back and specifically watched the whole Lenon section from his conversation in the City of Sorrows until his arrival at the Council chamber. The "beam up" (sorry
smile.gif
) had a great deal of bass it in (my subwoofer was cranking) but it was not at all distorted. I then watched the same section on the laserdisc. The dialogue on the LD sounded a bit "thinner" and there was a bit less bass in the "lift off", and again, no distortion.

It is possible that the soundtrack (which is encoded as Dolby Digital 2.0, there is no analog English track) doesn't sound as good downmixed on a ProLogic system. If so, this is something that WB needs to watch on future releases, since the majority of fans probably don't have digital receivers at this point. It may also be that the bass-level overwhelms some speakers, especially on systems that don't have separate subwoofers.

The DVDs certainly support JMS's contention that they mixed the soundtracks with a very wide range, and very agressively, skirting the limits of broadcast television. The battle scenes are especially impressive, and Franke's soundtracks really shine. I can honestly say I've never heard either movie sound better, can hardly wait for the episodes to arrive.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah that might be the problem, but still it's kind of odd to me because the TV and player are only a few weeks less than a year old now. I would think that they'd be able to handle it. I guess not...

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>yeah that might be the problem, but still it's kind of odd to me because the TV and player are only a few weeks less than a year old now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, that may indeed be the problem. If you're listening on your TV's built-in speakers, the bass may go over the line. I seem to recall a JMS post where he talked about broadcasters dialing back the soundtracks to stay within limits. It may be that for the DVD they went with the full original mix, and that it really is too much for the really small built-in speakers to handle. Or it could be the digital-to-analog downmix that's to blame. Again, something for WB to watch in future releases, if that's the case. (They really should put an analog track on the discs and make that the default if this is going to be an issue.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I do remember having to cut the volume on my subwoofer when SciFi started showing B5.

I hadn't bought it yet during the first go around and I had set it for more "normal" TV shows.
B5 tended to rattle the windows a bit.
tongue.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

After I dialed the subwoofer down a notch, everything sounds great.
There IS a lot of bass in the music and most TV built in speakers are Not built to handle it.
The companies that build TVs assume that people who want really Good sound will run it through stand alone systems anyway, so they don't waste a lot of money on the speakers.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

I watch my DVD's through my DVD-ROM drive, which came installed on the Toshiba laptop I recently sold my soul to buy. I love it. Wonderful picture quality, and the sound...

Connected to my computer's rather amazing sound system, I'm looking forward to watching the B5 DVD. If I ever find the goddamn thing in one of these stores. I've checked Suncoast, 2 FYE's, a Best Buy and a Record Town Video, and have found nada.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

The 16 x 9 widescreen version of In The Beginning looks as good on my widescreen HDTV as any "big budget" 16 X 9 enhanced feature film on DVD.
cool.gif
I'm using a JVC progressive scan DVD audio player with 525 lines resolution using component video. Good quality Dolby Digital 2.0 surround gives the subwoofers a good workout. I didn't notice any distortion during the Lenon scene where he is being elevated aboard to be taken to see the Council.
smile.gif

------------------

hey everybody, does anybody knows where I can find a copy? I live in columbus, OH and I have been everywhere. it is driving me nuts...

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back