• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Animated Movie

And now we have some information on Babylon 5: The Road Home:

Babylon 5: The Road Home will continue the story he started in the 1990s, with the log line stating, “Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe.”

Returning Babylon 5 castmembers include Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan, Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova, Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, Bill Mumy as Lennier, Tracy Scoggins as Elizabeth Lochley and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander.

The voice cast also includes Paul Guyet as Zathras and Jeffery Sinclair, Anthony Hansen as Michael Garibaldi, Mara Junot as Reporter and Computer Voice, Phil LaMarr as Dr. Stephen Franklin, Piotr Michael as David Sheridan, Andrew Morgado as G’Kar and Rebecca Riedy as Delenn.

New information has now been released: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...the-road-home-voice-cast-unveiled-1235483312/

The movie is entitled The Road Home.

Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe.

Returning Babylon 5 castmembers include Bruce Boxleitner as John Sheridan, Claudia Christian as Susan Ivanova, Peter Jurasik as Londo Mollari, Bill Mumy as Lennier, Tracy Scoggins as Elizabeth Lochley and Patricia Tallman as Lyta Alexander.

And some characters have been recast - there are new voice actors for Sinclair, Zathras, Franklin, Garibaldi, G'Kar and Delenn. There's going to be a lot of scrutiny from the fans on them! There's also a 'David Sheridan' in the movie, we don't know if it's Sheridan's father or his son, but the voice actor looks youngish, so I'd say it's his son, which will be really exciting after all this time!

Thoughts? The story does sound a little fantastical, but also fun and whimsical. I am a little surprised it's not the telepath war, but excited nonetheless and maybe it's just what we need in these depressing times!

Edit: Vacantlook beat me to it!

We be typing at the same time, eh? :thumbsup:

It's Babylon 5 from jms, so I'm happy about that; but, the description sounds very multiverse-ish, and I'm so exhausted by multiverse stories currently.

We be typing at the same time, eh? :thumbsup:

It's Babylon 5 from jms, so I'm happy about that; but, the description sounds very multiverse-ish, and I'm so exhausted by multiverse stories currently.

Yeah, it does feel a bit 'Star Trek-ish' in that regard, but I suppose B5 always had things like time travel so it's not too out of keeping. I guess it depends upon how Sheridan gets sent on this journey, maybe the Great Machine is involved? Intrigued by the cosmological aspect of the story too!

I just noticed the picture at the top of the article gives an example of the animation style. Looks great!

And it feels great to be responding in real time to a fresh B5 story after all these years rather than just reminiscing about the old show!

Last edited:
I'm not totally sure how I feel about the "Into the Spiderverse"/Marvel Multiverse feel that the plot description has. I know B5 did have time travel and all, and there's the Great Machine, but I'm a tad nervous about a Multiverse B5.

That said, I'm still going to watch it of course, and it's by JMS, so I'm hoping it's excellent.

Technically we already had a multiverse situation, as there was that timeline with the station under attack in Babylon Squared and War Without End.

This does feel like a bit of following the herd, with all the franchises already mentioned -- but a thought just popped into my head: B5 never had a Mirror Universe...

Technically we already had a multiverse situation, as there was that timeline with the station under attack in Babylon Squared and War Without End.

This does feel like a bit of following the herd, with all the franchises already mentioned -- but a thought just popped into my head: B5 never had a Mirror Universe...

Was that truly alternate universes/realities? Or just a glimpse of what "might be" like Lady Morella said in Signs and Portents?

I do feel like B5 never fully got involved with all the "if you mess with the timeline you create a branch reality even if the one you are in, this is the way it always was" sort of stuff. They just left the VERY small sampling of Time Travel on it's own, as its own thing, and closed it off neatly.

As Sinclair said: That was the camel's nose in the tent, from what we have read about the animated movie...that could end up being the entire camel.

Perhaps it might be more of a Christmas Carol // It's a Wonderful Life situation with Sheridan revisiting past decisions and gaining a new perspective on the future. To paraphrase Points of Departure (and possibly The Summoning), he'll be Even Better when he understands more about what he doesn't understand.

Last edited:
Yes, JMS seemed to think that the announcement would be at SDCC and that it would be available shortly after. That seems to have changed recently. I'd kind of hoped that there was a chance that there'd be a trailer at Phoenix Fan Fusion (June 2-4) but I guess that's out. Drat!

Contrary to what many say, the only character that JMS has said that he'd never recast is Andreas/G'Kar. And I'd be perfectly fine with him changing his mind about that, really. Particularly for the reimagining.

What I'm *adamantly* opposed to is any attempt at using AI to voice any of the 'beyond the rim' characters unless the *actor* (not their estate) gave explicit permission before their passing. Any such attempt, IMO, is just short of grave robbing, to use something so personal and unique to the person without permission.

Completely agree. Just think, studios will start making actors sign contracts that give them the opportunity to use AI to keep using them after they are gone. :eek:

And yes G'Kar is the only person I ever remember him saying he would not re-cast. And he has not recast G'Kar. He has given someone else a chance to read G'Kar's lines. ;) No one could put on the makeup and do what Katsulas did. His voice was a huge part of the character, but there were sooooooooooooo many layers and so much going on working in that makeup.

This is a chance for more people to discover the original series and learn what those have gone before created.

Back when the Secret Project was first announced, was hoping for animation (or audio) since it would allow cast members to participate from the nearest recording studio, which is how I've heard Big Finish operates. Noticed this JMS tweet from yesterday. If a sequel becomes a possibility, perhaps other B5 actors can be included.

J. Michael Straczynski
@straczynski (05/19/2023)

Thing is, it was never a matter of getting them together, as in the same
room. Everyone did their contribution separately, on different days, in
recording studios wherever they happened to be (out of state or out of
the country). Proximity not required for audio. Standard.

Back when the Secret Project was first announced, was hoping for animation (or audio) since it would allow cast members to participate from the nearest recording studio, which is how I've heard Big Finish operates. Noticed this JMS tweet from yesterday. If a sequel becomes a possibility, perhaps other B5 actors can be included.

J. Michael Straczynski
@straczynski (05/19/2023)

Thing is, it was never a matter of getting them together, as in the same
room. Everyone did their contribution separately, on different days, in
recording studios wherever they happened to be (out of state or out of
the country). Proximity not required for audio. Standard.

I believe I've requested 100 sequels...minimum. :thumbsup:

I will say that I've always appreciated voice acting. It can not be easy to create a character when you are not able to bounce your dialogue off the other characters. And if you are doing a certain voice, forget about it. Have you ever tried to modulate your voice for extended dialogue? I don't see how Voice Actors do it year after year.

I believe I've requested 100 sequels...minimum. :thumbsup:

I will say that I've always appreciated voice acting. It can not be easy to create a character when you are not able to bounce your dialogue off the other characters. And if you are doing a certain voice, forget about it. Have you ever tried to modulate your voice for extended dialogue? I don't see how Voice Actors do it year after year.

Would be incredible if B5 could get even a fraction of the attention Classic Who and other titles get from organizations like Big Finish. Rather than having the license/rights gather dust, could be bringing in $$$ (or £££). Although on a similar subject, always wondered why CC and PT never teamed up to do B5 Commentaries / Pod Casts / Patreons. Even JMS just records himself speaking about the episode - zero Copyrighted Content issues.

Would be incredible if B5 could get even a fraction of the attention Classic Who and other titles get from organizations like Big Finish. Rather than having the license/rights gather dust, could be bringing in $$$ (or £££).

Word is (albeit a while back before Certain Exec Changes at WB) is that Big Finish DID try to get the rights to do audio dramas and they were told that no licenses were being granted. Sigh...

The expected announcement that JMS will be appearing at SDCC has dropped. Interesting last sentence to the announcement:

J. Michael Straczynski​

J. Michael Straczynski is known for writing, producing and creating such shows as Babylon 5 and Sense8; writing Clint Eastwood’s Changeling as well as working on the first Thor movie, World War Z, and Underworld Awakening; and writing hundreds of comics for Marvel (Amazing Spider-Man, Thor, Supreme Power), Image (Midnight Nation), and DC (Superman Earth One). His brand-new BABYLON 5 animated movie is slated to make its worldwide debut at Comic-Con alongside a ton of other announcements in comics, novels, and other media.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back