• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Animated Movie

I'm still not all that thrilled with multiverse/alternate reality stories, but there are some shots in this trailer that look really, really good.

I'm still not all that thrilled with multiverse/alternate reality stories, but there are some shots in this trailer that look really, really good.
I'm not thrilled with multiverse/alternate reality stories, either. That seems to be where writers go when they're out of ideas and want to muddle around in areas of time that they've already covered, diving back into those areas over and over again and coming out in different spots in time and universes. Pretty soon, the viewer is wondering "Where the HELL am I?"

I'd much rather JMS had continued or rebooted Crusade, a story that has NOT been told, and forged ahead, even if it was only in novels, preferably of the all words and no pictures except for the cover art, variety. My imagination and memory is perfectly capable seeing and hearing the original actors in my head.

However, I'll certainly get the DVD or Blu-ray of this feature.

I’m not 100% sold on the concept or the plot, to be quite honest, but … it’s brand new Babylon 5, so I’ll obviously still want to see it. And the animation looks passable enough, with some bits in the trailer really quite good, so while I’m someone who will always prefer live action to animation, it shouldn’t be an issue.

I was hoping it’d be available digitally but so far it looks like it’s just on Amazon where only people in select countries can buy or rent digital movies, so … that’s not going to work, if that’s all there’ll be. I guess we’ll see; I was hoping to avoid the hassle of customs etc that comes with importing a physical disc from the UK but if that’s what it’ll come to, then that’s what it’ll be.

I'd much rather JMS had continued or rebooted Crusade, a story that has NOT been told, and forged ahead, even if it was only in novels, preferably of the all words and no pictures except for the cover art, variety. My imagination and memory is perfectly capable seeing and hearing the original actors in my head.

However, I'll certainly get the DVD or Blu-ray of this feature.

Since it seems the roadblock is gone, all somebody needs to do is persuade a publisher to get a license and commission JMS and/or other writers to do so. It's a substantial initial investment for a 13-episode 25-year-old show, though.

Entirely the same, not feeling it really... that said I've put in my pre-order for the 4K version.. I want a firm vote for more B5.

Entirely the same, not feeling it really... that said I've put in my pre-order for the 4K version.. I want a firm vote for more B5.
$25.99 for one animated movie and no DVD or Blu-ray disc listed on Amazon yet? Sheesh!

On Amazon uk it sits at ~10 pound at the moment (for the digital download at least). But that does not help me, as I need to go to Amazon Germany which does not have it listed (yet?)

Interestingly the Blu-Ray and the 4K version are listed as region free there, So I don't get, why Amazon can't offer the prime video version everywhere??

I don’t have anything to play 4K stuff on, so I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray version from Amazon UK yesterday - it’s £12 there, and the 4K was £20, I think. With customs & delivery fees, even the BR comes to around €25 for me so definitely not cheap but .. I do have everything else B5 on physical media (although importing from the UK was easier when it was still in the EU, LOL), and I want to support new B5, so there’s that.

I’d think it’s very much a given that there’ll be physical releases in the US as well. Maybe they just want eager, impatient fans to pre-order the rather expensive digital version first...

The Road Home is currently ranking 2nd (Blu-ray) and 3rd (4K UHD) in the Blu-ray bestsellers list on Amazon UK (John Wick 4 is in 1st place, if you're wondering). That's pretty impressive and hopefully those sales figures are driving home that there is demand for new B5.

I feel the same.

The multiverse thing feels a bit lazy to me and its a bandwagon everyone is currently jumping on. That said I'll still be watching and I'll support new B5, because we've waited so long for it. Trailer looks nice enough, dialogue a bit cornball at times, but hey, it's B5 and some things never change. I'm thinking it could be like Picard Season 3 if it's handled right, i.e a really nice send off for these characters and the door to something new.

It'll be a joy to see these characters again and if successful it opens up new avenues for more.

My biggest concern is the voice acting. For those that are still alive, will they be the same? It's different talking into a microphone vs being there, bouncing off the other actors. Sheridan to me sounded very flat. Then there's the replacement voices which I jut find hard.

Londo was the only one that seemed to punch through vocally there.

But it is just a trailer.

Hard to say until we see the film. I guess there are professional voice actors for a reason. I'm pretty open to the re-casting. Look at Clone Wars, those guys nail Obi Wan and Anakin without being the original actors.

Hmmm. Leaning on the nostalgia a lot, I take it -- lots of direct quotes from the show, etc. I'm not yet impressed.

And some of the delivery just sounds... off. Not the new actors (that's understandable and usually unavoidable) -- the pacing and delivery.

On the plus side, JMS did come up with a plausible in-universe reason for Sheridan to come unstuck again (and somehow John's "Aw, crap" reaction to finding it out was amusing). And unlike most "The old enemy has returned/wasn't really dead!" plotlines, having the Shadows back as the main villains does make sense in this context. They are gone. But with time travel, the plot can take us back to when they weren't.

But avoiding pitfalls isn't enough. A good story has to say something new -- or something old in a new way. We shall see!

(For example, ordering a computer to start a self-destruct sequence and having it try to talk you out of it? That's new!)

Last edited:
(For example, ordering a computer to start a self-destruct sequence and having it try to talk you out of it? That's new!)

There's a great indication that it's an alternate reality, huh? Shades of the Harlan-voiced AI in "Ceremonies of Light and Dark".

My biggest concern is the voice acting. For those that are still alive, will they be the same? It's different talking into a microphone vs being there, bouncing off the other actors. Sheridan to me sounded very flat. Then there's the replacement voices which I jut find hard.

Londo was the only one that seemed to punch through vocally there.

But it is just a trailer.

I agree that Sheridan did sound a bit flat at times in the trailer, and I was surprised. Many of B5's actors have done voice acting before – Claudia Christian has done computer games, Bruce Boxleitner sounds very good in the Tron: Uprising animation - here's an example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
. I think the problem with the trailer is we're only seeing snippets, out of context, so we don't really get a sense of the full performance.

As for the replacement voices, I really liked the sound of the actor, Paul Guyet, who voices Sinclair and Zathras, though again it's only snippets so we'll see what the full performance is like. From what I heard in the trailer I wasn't keen on the actor who plays Franklin, but I think that's just because it's different, and I need to adjust to it.

As for the replacement voices, I really liked the sound of the actor, Paul Guyet, who voices Sinclair and Zathras, though again it's only snippets so we'll see what the full performance is like. From what I heard in the trailer I wasn't keen on the actor who plays Franklin, but I think that's just because it's different, and I need to adjust to it.

That was my reaction too.

Trailer looks good, so many memories of episodes have come flooding back, rewatch time
Going off topic for a moment... new registrations have been largely closed for years due to the old board issues. Since the board upgrade recently and registration is open, it's nice to see you join us Anlashok2259.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back