• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B*ron

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
I hated his long, conditioned, full-bodied hair.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol.gif
My thoughts exactly. Anybody else ever wonder why in Byron's group most of the men had long silky hair, while the women tended toward the frizzy unkempt look?

On a more serious note he was pompous and annoying with an overblown sense of self-importance and a martyr complex. Season 5 isn't bad once all that mess has passed by.

------------------
"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me." - Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Between the Darkness and the Light

I don't think there's much to add to the reasons why I disliked Byron - the smug oh-so-arrogant attitude, blackmailing, the way he treated normals (and used Lyta)... and the hair!!!
lol.gif

He was just plain creepy. Someone I'd very much want to avoid in real life. Someone around whom I would feel uncomfortable.

OK, it was actually nice of him to show that maintenance guy (Bo? or was that one Mac?) what it's like to fly a starfury in a battle - but even then he made damn sure that he was superior.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
One KEY mistake I believe he made over and over, and ALL the other characters made the same mistake, is his treatment of Lyta. Poor Lyta.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All but one. G'Kar.
wink.gif

Well, Zack, too - but even though he genuinely liked her and cared about her, he wasn't really much help to her.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

Recoil, I don't know whose nitpickier, you or Lennier. But, this time, your nitpickying actually makes my case stronger.

And don't even try nitpickying my conjugations of the word "nitpick."

What's the big deal about the hair? Lots of men have long hair- so what?

You people
crazy.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

It was the song(s)...why couldn't they just sing the damn things telepathically so we wouldn't have to hear it? The rest of the story really didn't bother me...I agree Byron ended up being a smarmy character, but smart in that he realized he could accomplish more as a martyr than as a living, arrested, teep.

I do wish they'd have shown the sex thing with Lyta a little more graphically though
wink.gif
... maybe in the DVD!

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
What's the big deal about the hair? Lots of men have long hair- so what?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of long-haired men don't live in horrid conditions in Down-Below and *still* manage to look perfectly groomed and conditioned every day.
wink.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

It is the future, conditions may be more sterile. Anyway, this kind of thing happens in entertainment all the time: in every movie, the women wakes up in the morning or in the middle of the night, and her hair is combed, her makeup is perfect, and she's as fresh as a daisy.

Any guy who's slept with a lady knows it don't work like that (women are more likely to run into the bathroom and wash up before kissing you in the morning; gosh that's cute)

And the song- yes, it was annoying. It was supposed to be. Did you ever see protestors or congregations singing stupid songs or making up cute little annoying rhyming chants while pushing some cause you don't believe in? Didn't it get on your nerves?

And the song was only a minute or two. I could list a dozen more annoying moments in the show than the teep song.

------------------

I don't really like or dislike Byron myself, but I know that I don't like that song they all sing!
mad.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

I didn't like him, he gave us Brits a bad name. I think he was a campaigner for a genuine good cause at first, I think he was sent over the edge by Lyta though, she said she could burn him if she "got involved" with him, I believe this is what happened. I think this one thing sent him over an already precarious edge. Things involving him seemed to become far more intense after that.

I think it was partly emotional and partly the revelation of telepath origin that happened during this time that made the difference!

------------------
Back when I was a kid in Sunday School, Father Minkowski once said: "Given the crucifixion was a terrible thing for anyone to endure, if you could go back in time 2200 years, would you prevent the crucifixion of Christ?" Well after a heated debate, we all agreed the answer was no. The crucifixion was necessary to redeem the world. - Lt. John Matheson "The Needs of Earth"

"We live for the One. We die for the One!"

(preparing to get stoned) And we will all come together in a better place....

laugh.gif
Please don't hurt me too much. I really didn't midn the singing. It was quite effective at the end of the thread when they all get together and sing before mass suicide.

Of course, I only had to deal with Byron and singing for small amounts of time. If he were my roomate, I'd kill him!

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

I liked him as a Minbari though. I guess he is better bald and he didn't sing.
laugh.gif

------------------
Remember dear readers, you heard it here first. Off the record, on the Q.T., and very hush-hush - Danny DeVito as Sid Hudgens in L.A. Confidential

I agree, he was much better as a Minbari.

As far as their hair goes, it seemed to me that JMS was trying to go for a gothic horror, Interview with a Vampire kind of look. They kind of creeped around like vampires too, feeding on peoples thoughts intead of blood. Even though they weren't immortal, you could definately tell that they felt superior to normals, or as they would say, mondains.
Thanks
Car

------------------

The other thing about the hair is that they are telepaths. Telepaths do not like being touched. How do you get long hair groomed with out being touched?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

It's not that telepaths don't like being touched, it's that Psi-Corps doesn't let them touch people with bare hands because tactile contact increases their ability to read minds. It is a practice designed to protect the privacy of non-telepaths. This is why the teeps in the Psi-Corps always wear gloves.

In fact, Byron's telepaths are very touchy-feely with each other. They're into sharing their thoughts and feelings all the time, and it was implied that Byron had it going on with some of the teep ladies in his cult.

------------------

We should also add that, in one of Talia's big episodes, we learn that

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
When telepaths touch, they can combine their powers. Apparently, the Psi Corps has them wear gloves to stop them from doing this.

</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited January 31, 2002).]

MondoLondo, I suspect you're referring to what Talia told Sinclair in the Ironheart episode.

Except she wasn't talking about "combining powers".
She was talking about Having Sex and the Mental component when two telepaths drop all their shields.
MindFnck. The effect isn't EXTERNAL.
While it's going on, they lose track of everything Except each other.

The Gloves aren't intended to prevent telepaths from "combining".
They prevent Accidental scanning of thoughts and are worn to make Mundanes feel more comfortable.

They also help the Telepaths because, most of the time, they prefer NOT to know what other people are thinking.
That's why Talia "Elbowed" Garibadi in the lift.
He was thinking about her naked body.
Deliberately. Can you say "Sexual harassment" ??

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Well, remember when Talia started to sympathise with some renegade teeps in down below? She "combined" her power with them to trick Bester into thinking that they had all been killed.

------------------

Yes, they gave Bester a "Mental Mugging".

And their ringleader also said that Bester almost beat the whole group.
It was a desperation tactic, one that had evidently been tried on PsiCops before with little success.

Ironheart's Modifications to Talia's talent was the only thing that allowed them to win.

The point of disagreement was over Why they wore the gloves.
I said it was to prevent Accidental contact.
This was a Deliberate act, so it doesn't really rebut what I said before.

Since most Telepaths spend Year living and studying together in PsyCorps, they will inevitably discover what contact without the gloves means.
In fact, it is most likely that part of their Training involves deliberate contact Without the gloves to demonstrate the "necessity" for them.

From what we know of PsyCorps methods (from the trilogy) of "Raising" children, they probably time these training sessions to take place during the worst and most embarassing parts of Puberty, when the kids are most in need of a tiny bit of Privacy.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:

All but one. G'Kar.
wink.gif

Well, Zack, too - but even though he genuinely liked her and cared about her, he wasn't really much help to her.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think in that case, it was in part Lyta's fault, though. She was already very much on the teeps vs normals track and into her disappointment with the rest of the bunch. She didn't even seem to care the slightest bit at times....
I felt seriously sorry for Zack. Here he was, trying everything he could think of to make things nice for her, and she just sees the thanklessness of the others...and then 'throws' herself at Byron. Well, I guess it was JMS's version of the 'the nice guy always ends up with empty hands while the jerk gets the girl' story
wink.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> ... and then 'throws' herself at Byron. Well, I guess it was JMS's version of the 'the nice guy always ends up with empty hands while the jerk gets the girl' story.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were expecting a Happy Ending??

Or did you want Zack to be dead and Byron Alive?
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Hey, Somebody had to go down.
And byron was volunteering.

Alternate story: Zack & Lyta start doing the Wild Thing.
Lyta gets Pregnant with Zack's baby.
Bester finds out and gets So Mad that the Baby's not a TEEP that he murders Zack and feeds Lyta a drug that kills the baby.

OK, now we've got Lyta pissed off at Bester, but what about the Rest of PsyCorps??

She needs something to make her hate the entire Corps.

------------------

I've gotta say that apart from what has already been mentioned the, here we go, the 'W****w Tree'. It made me cringe.

------------------
"To live is to risk"
Lenonn - ItB

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back