• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Andromeda on SCI FI

Well, it appears that the Andromeda bashers may finally get their wish. Their production company has gone under and the series might just be cancelled.

SCIFI is only partially responsible for the cost of production, and judging by their past inconsistancies, will most likely let it drop. Oh well, add it to the list of sci fi shows that ended without conclusions.

Well, it appears that the Andromeda bashers may finally get their wish. Their production company has gone under and the series might just be cancelled.

SCIFI is only partially responsible for the cost of production, and judging by their past inconsistancies, will most likely let it drop. Oh well, add it to the list of sci fi shows that ended without conclusions.

Did Scifi Channel ever intend to do more to it? It was my impression they only bought the rights so one more season could be produced (This season), and give the series a conclusion, so they could play the hell out of the re-runs.

This may well be the case, though I have not heard that. The official websites are tightlipped, as usual.

But it would make sense. The last few eps have been leaning on the "Magog are coming in like a week" premise fairly heavily - not that they haven't been for some time. I think the writers for the show get a little out of control on the cryptic angle of the storytelling, so it's kind of hard to see where they're going with it at times. Been watching too much Farscape I suspect.

From the story:

"Andromeda" currently is being joint produced with Sci-Fi Channel, but it's unlikely that Sci-Fi will put out the resources to fund it fully.

So, Sci-Fi was footing part of the bill to produce new episodes, much like they did with Farscape, and are unlikely to foot the entire bill, just like they didn't do with Farscape.

Just found this.

SCIFI apparently HAS signed on to co-produce the fifth season to get the rights to syndicate the entire series. I have a feeling that the fifth season is part of the deal, since the show seems to still be in first-run syndication on other channels. In fact, my local WB station is a week ahead of SCIFI in airing new episodes.

Unfortunately, since the press release isn't current, the ramifications of Fireworks folding is not taken account in the scenario. Depending on the deal SCIFI made with Tribune, it may be in their own best interests to fund the final season - especially if they want to retain syndication rights.

EDITED FOR SPELLING

Been watching too much Farscape I suspect.

Oh the blasphemy of comparring the crap that is Andromeda to the infinitely superior Farscape!

:p

I haven't watched all the episodes this season, but I've seen over half of them, which is more than enough to know that whatever potential this show once had to be great was flushed down the toilet.

As for the looming Magog Worldship threat, having read reviews and plot synopses for the episodes ever since it was announced that the Worldship was two months away, it certainly doesn't seem like such a huge threat as a Worldship would give the Andromeda and the Commonwealth the time for the little mindless jaunts that the Andromeda has been having the past several episodes in order to have more of Dylan's "adventures." I mean, here come an extreme number of Magog, the race of aliens that when the Commonwealth signed a treaty with back right before the first episode of the series caused the Nietzscheans to openly revolt sparking a war that utterly destroyed the Commonwealth. If it was realistic, they'd be freaking out with the Magog coming.

But instead the episodes since the Worldship was said to be two months away have been like someone took some of the easy stand-alone first season episodes of Babylon 5 and stuck them between "Z'ha'dum" and "Into The Fire." Can you imagine if the Shadows's threat was dealt with by John sending thousands of Earth Aliance members to their death just to get some tail instead of working to build up a fleet to fight the Shadows? 'Cause from what I read, that's pretty much what happened in the most recent episode of Andromeda: Hunt tricked some assassin into sleeping with him and caused her to then be stranded in space alone and destroyed thousands of Commonwealth citizens, including one of the highest level of Commonwealth governors without having the remotest expression of remorse.

I say let the crap that this show has become burn.

vacantlook,

You seem to have an intimately informed opinion about something you consider garbage. For someone who despises the show so much, why do you continue to watch it?
:confused:

Just curious.

I don't watch it much anymore, honestly. I've caught about maybe five or six of the nineteen episodes so far this season, and did that mostly to get a hearty laugh at the inane dialogue and plot. Last season, I tried to keep watching out of hope that the show was just going through a bit of a hiccup and that things would even out by the end of the season. When they didn't, I came to only watch the few episodes of season four that I have in order to laugh at it. I've read reviews/detailed synopses for most of the episodes this season I haven't seen just to keep up on what was happening in case things had gotten better, but that's enough to have kept me from bothering to watch most of the season.

Been watching too much Farscape I suspect.

But instead the episodes since the Worldship was said to be two months away have been like someone took some of the easy stand-alone first season episodes of Babylon 5 and stuck them between "Z'ha'dum" and "Into The Fire." Can you imagine if the Shadows's threat was dealt with by John sending thousands of Earth Aliance members to their death just to get some tail instead of working to build up a fleet to fight the Shadows?

Funny you mention that. The last ep. I saw of Andromeda had Dylan seducing some chick while the ship they were on was going to crash into a planet or something. Can't remember how they got out of that predicament, but your comment about him "scoring some tail" reminded me of it. :rolleyes: I used to sample Andromeda every now and then after Wolfe left, and would soon run into something like that, and have to switch the channel. It's funny, but I used to be able to stand Sorbo in Hercules. Can't stand him in Andromeda at all. I suppose if all of TV were "Reality TV" and Andromeda, I'd probably watch Andromeda.

I used to have a very distinct, definable pattern of watching Andromeda... if Steve Bacic was in it, I watched it.

Although then they brought him in full time, which kind of spoiled that pattern. Plus he had a beard. :mad:

So up until then my pattern worked. :D

He's busy, I think. So I did a quick google.

Isn't he the "bad" guy who got the Andromeda into trouble in the first place? They have brought him back? :confused:

Hypatia - Doth thou only post but to pose questions? :p

Yes, Rhade is the descendant of Dylan's old first officer, who betrayed them.

Here's more news from The Futon Critic:

"Tribune Entertainment has ordered production of 2004/2005 seasons of 'Andromeda' and 'Mutant X' and exercised contractual options requiring its financial partner to provide funding, however, Tribune Entertainment's financial partner has commenced litigation which seeks a determination that it is not obligated to participate in the further financing or production of either series."

Looks like SCIFI wants out of the deal. No surprise here. But this might just be one time where they can't get away with their axe wielding shenanagans.

Ah, so that's how they snuck him back in. An identical-looking descendant. :D

I had heard that Tyr left the series. I guess they wanted someone of that race (I'm blanking on the name right now) on the show, and the actor was available.

Not a bad way at all to sneak him back in, actually. I'm impressed. :D And yes, he is quite good looking. But with a beard? Another favorite actor of mine has been sporting a beard lately. What's it these days with the guys and their beards. :confused: I thought beards were relatively rare.

Steve Bacic...mmm...

interview_efc.jpg

headshot05.jpg

headshot09.jpg

headshot10.jpg

Wow, goatees really are popular right now, aren't they? :LOL:

He does look good for the camera, doesn't he? Particularly in that first shot. I don't remember his part in EFC, though. It might have been an episode (or in a whole season) that I missed.

I don't like him with a beard.

But that last picture, he's creamtastically good. :)

I think this thread may head for NC-17 soon, or at least part of it. What with Hypatia being so rude and slobbering over Steve. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back