• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

About this new urber race who make the shadows look like inscets....

Do people here think that statement can be taken literaly? I mean the shadows even when holding back were more then a match for the Young Races. If the new kids on the block are far more powerful...exactly how are our heros in a Minbari war relic of a warship going to pose a credable threat?

Just wondering if I have missed much from the trailer and little bits here and there I have picked up
smile.gif

------------------

Ah, Chris, but there is where the story is.

Just how are Martel & Co. going to pose a credible threat? That's the surprise. What do the crew of the Liandra do when they find out about this uber-race?

I can't wait to find out.
smile.gif

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Uber-race?

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

No, I don't think it can be taken literally. For a couple of reasons:
1) order of magnitude. the Elder Races (Vorlons and Shadows) were immensely powerful and were only finally defeated through words, not deeds. To then have a force capable of a whole order of magnitude more powerful not be able to accomplish thier goals will stretch credibility.
2) I think this is a "teaser" line. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of B5 fans dismiss Season Five and Crusade because they didn't involve the Shadows. In some people's minds, the Drahk don't just measure up. I think that's unfair but a statement like that will perk up those people's ears.
3) Sense the nature of the threat, not necessarily the power of the threat. The Shadows didn't have a grat PR machine, but they weren't out to rule the galaxy and/or destroy all other life (per se). If these aliens are planning on something along those lines, they justify the statement because they actually represent a greater danger, even with comperable pwoer level.
4) Finally, could the character speaking turn out to be wrong? ("I thought you said these guys were invincible?" "Well I thought they were - good job figuring out thier ships are vulnerable to butterscotch pudding.")

------------------
-Devin Barber

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
Uber-race?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I guess you need to imagine that there are two dots above the 'U'

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Sense the nature of the threat, not necessarily the power of the threat. The Shadows didn't have a grat PR machine, but they weren't out to rule the galaxy and/or destroy all other life (per se). If these aliens are planning on something along those lines, they justify the statement because they actually represent a greater danger, even with comperable pwoer level.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think that this is probably the case. Mibari were a greater danger to earth then the shadows, but the shadows were much more advanced then the Mimbari. Danger is a matter of perspective. A Nuclear weapon is much strogner then a gun, but a million soldiers with guns poses a much larger threat to a country then one nuclear weapon. the shadows were very powerful, but somewhat few in number and as you said did not wan't to rule the galaxy. I have a feeling htis new enemy is a race that fits between the firstones and the current races.

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

Actually, the Shadows already look like insects anyway. They don't need anyone to make them look like insects since they already look like and walk like weird little bugs! Oh hi by the way, I'm new to the board!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Yeah, I guess you need to imagine that there are two dots above the 'U'

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

umlauts

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris O'Farrel:
If the new kids on the block are far more powerful...exactly how are our heros in a Minbari war relic of a warship going to pose a credable threat?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, destructive power does not equal defence (it certainly seems like that is the case in the trailer), so on the small scale, the Liandra should do fine as long as it doesn't get hit. Heck, it could even be that their super weapons are too slow and inacurate to be usable in ship to ship combat.

As for stopping the full threat - That would be up to the right people being in the right place at the right time...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

http://www.b5lr.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000377.html

Always 5 steps behind me, eh Chris?
laugh.gif
Well, at least you're consistent.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I had the same doubts... I don't think it can be taken too literally since the comment is supposedly from the ISA POV. And the ISA had no real knowledge of the first ones true power. So their opinion on the subject is not worth much.
smile.gif
But the reason why I was concerned was because Doug said the same thing, so we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

And they may not stop the threat, merely slow it down (maybe by setting up a trap that locks them up in some kinda 20th dimensional jail)?
smile.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

[This message has been edited by Dark Lord (edited October 26, 2001).]

Yep, my mistake I new it started with an S. Thanks for suppling the correct info

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

What the hell is an uber race?

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What the hell is an uber race? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and any of my descendants.
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
What the hell is an uber race?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming it's a concept similar to that of "übermensch" - if the übermensch is a superior kind of man (superior to other, "normal" men), then an überrace would be a race superior to all others.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

Kribu has it right. "Uber," I think, is a German prefix... adopted into English and now used as a substitute for "super" or "ultimate," such as "ubergeek."

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Just FYI: Channe is right. Über is a german word that means "super", and in German grammar, can and is often used as a prefix to label something as "super". ( Übermensch translates literally into "superman", although the general meaning is more of what Kribu said.)

The umlaut is written as two dots over a vowel, indicating a slightly different way of pronouncing the sound. Kinda hard to describe in words :~) You can write one in HTML using the special tags (amperstand-pound-220 is Ü, for example). It's also traditional when using a keyboard that doesn't support umlauts to simply print a colon after the letter to be umlauted, as in U:bermensch. :)

(I just KNEW those German classes in college would be useful SOMEday!!!) :)

Cheers,
-mcn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> umlauts <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gesundheit!

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

I think uber actually means over, not super. But then again I'm not German. So the uber-race is really something like overlords?
crazy.gif

------------------

alt-0252 = ü
I know because I was often writing Servicebüro in my last job.
smile.gif

------------------

Back