• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A kid's show with Jeremiah's premise?

Low Fidelity

A kid\'s show with Jeremiah\'s premise?

I stumbled upon this show premiering tonight at 7:30 on YTV that has a premise much like Jeremiah. I read this in this week's Starweek in Toronto:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Teen's rule society in 2030CE ... No one lives past the age of 30.

The 13-episode fantasy series unveils a post-apocalyptic world in which Progressive Aging Syndrom is killing off the adult poulation, leaving kids in charge of everything, including discovery of a cure for the disease.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can read more about it here

The focus of the show is different, focusing on the children as they try to find a cure, but it seems odd that two completely different shows with such a unique premise would premiere within such a short time as each other.

Can someone can catch this and tell me what they think? I'm very curious myself.

Re: A kid\'s show with Jeremiah\'s premise?

A plague/virus wiping away one group of the population (e.g. the adults) seems to be one of those popular basic ideas.

There's also a youth-orientated TV-series around (a few years old, I think) called "The Tribe" - it sounds somewhat similar (a virus has wiped away the adults and kids have to cope on their own).

I'd rather say it's once again an example of taking a basic idea and giving it a different twist, building a different story upon it.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

I've seen The Tribe a couple times. It's basically an excuse to dress kids up in fun costumes.

I already see two differences between the abovestated show and Jeremiah. One, that Jeremiah is very much an adult's show - it's marketed that way, and for heaven's sake, they even have to make special MGM editions so it will be able to be shown on American cable. Two, that Jeremiah is what happens in the aftermath, and the kid's show sounds like it's happing DURING the apocalyptic event.

I'll take a gander at it, if it shows up in my area. But, yes, Jeremiah will undoubtedly be VERY, very different. And if it's Canadian, I really doubt anyone in Jeremiah's target market - American paycable subscribers - would even see it or hear of it. The consitituencies attatched to the two shows are entirely different. They don't compete at all.

Premises like this have happened before. I've discovered one of the ways to judge potentially successful shows is to see if there are any other shows around trying to do the same exact thing.

ER, Chicago Hope.
Law and Order. Homicide.
Deep Impact. Armageddon.
Et ceterah.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

[This message has been edited by channe (edited February 06, 2002).]

It is probably a coincidence that these two shows have similar concepts. I won't ever see the one mentioned above since it looks Canadian and besides, it markets to teenagers.
wink.gif

Channe, I know it is funny how you can see what is "trendy" in hollyweird when a bunch of movies/shows pop up with the same themes. Wonder if this is the start of a new theme?
laugh.gif
(Yeah, probably too early to tell)

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

I caught the beginning of the show on YTV the other night but it was so juvenile (to me) that I turned it off fast. I'm sure it is aimed at young viewers whereas Jeremiah is an adult show. The characters are about 26 years old (10 years after the apocalypse).

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Eschatological stuff is always in vogue. Armageddon, apocalypse, et cetera. It's one of the common themes of humankind. We just can't stop from talking about it...
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

Believe it or not, there was a time not very long ago when if you lived until thirty, you were lucky. Teens -did- rule the world. Alexander the Great was barely out of them. One of the great Moslem caliphs that sacked Jerusalem from the Christians was barely 21. Girls got married by thirteen and by eighteen they had five children.

Still is that way, in the some parts of the world.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back