• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A few words from your weapons officer

Yo! Well said Myriam.
laugh.gif

I really hate people who point out what the worst thing is about anything all the time. I have a friend like that and boy is it depressing
mad.gif

I've given up asking him what he thinks of anything because I know I'll get a negative.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

I totally agree. Preach it girl.

------------------
--Never argue with an
idiot. They will drag you
down to their level and
then beat you with
experience.--

I'd just like to remind people of the value of well-written reviews: they tell you explicitly what you did well and what you did badly. If B5LR goes to series - and I hope that it does - then there will be a wealth of reviews and comments saying what people liked and disliked. Unfortunately, too many will be of the "it rox" / "it sux" type, but there will also be constructive reviews that the rpoducers and writers could look at to help them improve what they are doing. The web is probably the wrong place to look for these, for the simple reason that it will contain a huge number of reviews and comments, making the job of sorting through and collating them excessive, and because quality control is a lot harder on the web. Published reviews, on the other hand, may be considered.

Taking Christopher Pike's AICN review, he says at one point:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>the ship's gunner-babe has to dive into a VR bubble to operate her vessel's defensive systems When she does this, we see her flying through VR-sim space like Superman (one arm back, one arm, thrust forward), hurling balls of flame out of her hands and feet (representing her ship firing at its opponent). We almost never cut away too see her ship actually *doing* anything in battle. It's all told from her point of view. This chick is flailing about (with poor wire work), discharging fireballs from nearly every orifice of her body, blowing-up stuff we can't see clearly. A really bad way to draw viewers into the tension of battle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So maybe the producers look at that comment and say, "hey, maybe we don't make it clear enough. Let's work out how to establish that better in the series." Or they note the comment about the wirework and see how they can make it look better.

As fans of B5, we all want to see the new movie, and we want it to be a success and go to a series which is as good as, if not better than, the original show. But we have to understand that, for whatever reason, it might fail. And when we approach reviews, we have to understand where the reviewer is coming from and what they are trying to achieve with their review. A well-written review is a good review, whether it says that the product being reviewed is good or bad.

Not sure where, if anywhere, this is going now. I don't think anyone would interpret this as an attack on themselves, but that is certainly not the intention. I am, I suppose, simply asking that people understand...
frown.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The web is probably the wrong place to look for these, for the simple reason that it will contain a huge number of reviews and comments, making the job of sorting through and collating them excessive, and because quality control is a lot harder on the web. Published reviews, on the other hand, may be considered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I suppose you have a point, but on the other hand, I've found web reviews to be much more helpful than published ones, especially with music and movies.

Professional critics get wined and dined by the studios, often have ulterior motives for their praise or criticism, and become quote whores. In other words, many do not look at the product objectively. The web, which certainly has a wealth of shite, also has reviews done by the consumer, with little or no reason to be subjective. If you know where to look, you can find well-written, informative, objective reviews.

I personally have found this to be the case with music, much of which isn't mainstream, and it has built my CD collection considerably. It also provides an environment where you can find like-minded people looking for similar things out of their music/books/movies which differ from the mainstream.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...How the hell did my photo appear next to my posting name!...I wonder...(thinking...twiddling his fingers)...I bet the Captain is behind this...

Noooooooooooooooooooooo...(echoes off in the distance)...We hear a faint single gunshot fire...then all is quiet...

Fade to black...

Fade in from Black to White, then open:

Ext. Cemetary -Day

From a high bird's eye-view shot, we slowly crane down to see the crew of the Liandra standing in traditional uniform over a freshly dug grave. Around the border of the crew members lay white pedalled roses. A coffin is positioned to the side of the hole. There seems to be only 8 members of the crew attending this burial ceremony...

We come in close to the top of the burial casket to reveal a silver name plate...The shiny surface of the name plate glints in the sun as we start to crane up...We fade to white in the clouds above...

The End...

60 credit role over Christoper Franke's beautiful Requeim score...

laugh.gif

------------------

I think I missed something...

[fangirl] You can't kill the Captain! He's the he-ro! [/fangirl]

*cough* Right, back to work.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Interesting you say that Channe...

There is actually no reference to who was killed...because the silver name plate doesn't reveal who's name is etched...

This is up to the reader's imagination...

BTW-I made a spelling error at the end...It is suppose to read: 60 sec. credit roll...I forgot the "second" abbreviation...and I mispelled "roll" (role)

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif

------------------

Well, Warren - I'm just using the Patented Professional Audience Technique known as "induction."

Basically, you muttered something about the Captain, there was gunshots, and then... then a burial scene!

*gasp* Or... or, it could be you! He could have seen you coming, and... and... went for self-defense! Is that you in the coffin?

*makes the popcorn*

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Yes Channe...those elements that you mentioned were designed for that purpose...and only that purpose...to deviate...to diverge ones' thoughts to ponder what exactly the writer is trying to accomplish...(brilliant, eh?) suspense...

Maybe I could become another "JMS"...
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
Yeah right...That'll be the day...ha ha ha

Well, I realize that I have not provided any relevant information prior to...but, this will eventually be revealed..."The Truth is out there"...

BTW- I don't own a hand-gun...

-Warren-

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ps-I thought that I heard some rustling in the bushes beside the burial ceremony...What daaaaaaaa...A shadowy figure lurks...

------------------

Hey, this story is getting better and better!!
shocked.gif

The suspence... it's thrilling!
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

Channe and Warren are speaking in weird Theatre language.

Any programmers here wanna start a thread speaking in Perl?

(Oh God, please understand I was just kidding. Don't post any Perl messages to me!)

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<pre><font size=+1>#include &ltstdio.h&gt

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
FILE *fp = fopen( "b5lrMessageBoardThread.txt", "at" );

fputs( "No Perl, thanks. But how about C instead? :)", fp );

fputs( "(sorry about the editing, took a few tries to get the formatting right :)", fp );

fprintf( fp, "Cheers,\n-mcn\n" );

fclose( fp );
return 0;
}
</font></pre>

[This message has been edited by Capt. Neville (edited October 18, 2001).]

Warren has the advantage here. Wholesale and gratuitous murder of B5LR characters/plot ahead. The cast is permitted to laugh their heads off.

--

INT. LIANDRA - BRIDGE - DAY

David sits in his customary place, nodding to Kitaro.

DAVID
We'll wait a bit longer. Set the previous course, but don't engage until my mark.

Sarah shakes her head - something's obviously distressed her, but she's not about to speak up. She's got other things to do.

Kitaro, on the other hand, turns to regard David with a worried look uncannily like Sarah's.

EXT. CEMETARY

G'Kar walks forward and makes a deliberate show of putting his boot into where the Ranger's was. He narrows his eyes at the gravestone.

G'KAR
I had a feeling you'd end up here, you know.

The gravestone sits there, being implacable.

------------------
--

LOL, Neville! I used to know a lot of Basic, but not anymore.

Mmmm. Screenplay format...

------------------
--

<pre>
Name$ = "mcn"

OPEN "b5lrMessageBoardThread.txt" FOR APPEND AS #1

PRINT #1, "Well, I can do Basic, too, but it's been a while... :)"

PRINT #1, "Cheers,"
PRINT #1, "-" + Name$

CLOSE #1
</pre>

Kitaro, Channe,

You are both mad.

I love it
laugh.gif

Please continue the story.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

Ext. Cemetary -Day

The rains fall harder, beating down on G'Kar's back as he slowly rises to full stance. A contemplative look washes off his countenance...

The daylight has now diminished quite significantly...thus bringing to G'Kar's attention, the many nocturnal atrocities that are brought on by the creatures of the night...Welcome to the planet Ishnu...

Off G'Kar's look as we hear a spine-chilling howl in the distant forest...He quickly moves off...

Cut to:

Interior. Liandra Bridge

David sits in his chair, with obvious intensity...A decision in the works...The tension is high on the bridge...waiting for a command...Kitaro at his navigation console, ready for whatever may come...

------------------

Ext. Planet Ishnu

Wide shot of Planet Ishnu showing entire outerspace...As we start to near the planet, a bolt of blue streaks past and hurtles towards the surface of the planet...We follow closely behind...

Cut to:

Ext. Planet Ishnu -surface -Night

We see the bolt of light plunge into the dense forest---kaboom! Blue light strobes the night! We find the crash site...and the smoke starts to clear...silence all around.
A light hum starts...and something arises from the smoked filled hole...A patrol probe droid emerges...long mechanical tenticles hang below a bulbous shaped body...The patrol probe turns on its' search light...and quietly hovers off into the forest...the hum fades into the night...

And all is silent on the surface of Ishnu...

------------------

Hey, Kitaro, you can't say I didn't warn you!
wink.gif

Can you and and channe keep this going till January?

It might even make the wait bearable.
laugh.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back