• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

20 Man Crew Compliment!

Where do you hear there would be a crew of 20?

Sounds like a neat idea. Rising Stars has given JMS a lot of practice at handling a buttload of characters at once.

Having a lot of extra recurring characters is one of the things I loved about the last couple seasons of DS9.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

i kinda understand a little bit about the watch system here. It's not quite the same cause i only work 7 out of every 14 days, but on the days i do work it's 12 on 12 off, 3 days one week and 4 the next. It sucks!!!!! Other than the fact that i get really nice weekends every week and it's a set schedule.

------------------
I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for the One. We die for the one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The removeable saucer section was their response to safety considerations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that was one of the STUPIDEST ideas I've ever seen!

OK. We're going into Battle, lets detach the saucer section and leave it floating around.
Like a Sittting Duck, because We Take The Engines With Us.
For the Enemy to grab and use as a Hostage.
Even if the enemy doesn't mess with it, that saucer section has No Warp Drive.
If we LOSE, all those women and children are now Stranded with no way Home.
Or for the victorious enemy to run off with.

You might just as well take the saucer section into battle. The women and kids are at Less risk that way.

Therefore, the "detachable saucer" has No Other Purpose than to provide you with an occasional gratuitous EFX shot.

A really Stupid reason to introduce the damn thing.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

the MAX crew complment of a white star is 98

how ever there are only 38 perment Crew slots for every white star n room for 60 troops thus a crew of 38 would be standard with a few security peeps hear n there but of course the ship could run with less people mabe a min crew of 25 ? some where round there

n id would be possable to make short runs with little crew "10" of course the effectiveness of the ship will drop right off n reapirs n bug would take a long time to fix

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
It wouldn't surprise me if there are other crew members on other decks -- maintaining the engines, heavy weapons, etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the guys busy in the galley fixing Dinner.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

The number twenty comes from the online preview mag article/interview with JMS. If you go to the thread in this forum that says preview mag there should be a link.

It also says there will be a multi-year arc.

------------------
Bus

"How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me?"-Lisa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Actually, that was one of the STUPIDEST ideas I've ever seen!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The removable saucer section idea has nothing to do with the safety of civilians. It actually goes back to the original design of the NCC-1701. It was established in the Star Trek writer's guide that the impulse-driven saucer section could detach from the engineering hull/warp engine section.

Thus the captain could remain in orbit around some planet with the saucer section while on a diplomatic mission, say, and send the warp-drive section off to investigate a reported problem in the region. This "feature" was never used in the original series because the effect would a) have been too expensive and b) would have looked a little silly given the design of the original Enterprise.

So the concept was there from the git-go, and the TOS saucer is clearly designed in a way that suggest it could be an independent spacecraft. The post-facto explanation they used for the idea in TNG (when they finally had the budget to show it working) may have been silly, but the fundamental idea wasn't that bad.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

The saucer section is also far from defenseless. Giving an enemy ship 2 targets to shoot at instead of one would tip the scales of a battle greatly in the Enterprise-D's favour.

------------------
Alec McClymont, 3D Artist
3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The saucer section is also far from defenseless. Giving an enemy ship 2 targets to shoot at instead of one would tip the scales of a battle greatly in the Enterprise-D's favour.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slade, so your tactic would be to send out the kindergarten, grammar school and housewives as a Diversion?
shocked.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

In the original Star Trek series, I don't think they had families and children aboard the Enterprise. That would give credence to Joe D's explanation of the saucer seperation dealy.

Why didn't they keep the same explanation for the Next Generation? Having the saucer in orbit for a diplomatic mission would make it safer anyway, so they do work together. Just using safety as a reason by itself is what makes it so retarded.

The whole children in space thing bothered me. For that matter, it also bothere Picard.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Hmm. I seem to remember a TOS episode with children on the ship.

------------------
"What are a few million lives compared to the glory of becoming a living god?"
--Emperor Cartagia, The Hour of the Wolf

You are thinking of the eps where the kids move their fists and say "hail hail fire and snow, friendly angel we will go, far away , far to see, friendly angel come to me." Then some fat guy appeared and controlled them. The original enterprise had no children or families on the ship.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
For matters of comparison, does anyone know what the crew size is for a White Star?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 'Matters of Honor' Delenn states clearly that the Whitestar has a crew of nine.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dekion:
I love the idea of a 20 man crew compliment. Andromeda has 7, and they interact well without drawing attention away by adding tons of extras. The only illogical thing is that a ship with a compliment of over 4000 can be run by only 7, where in Rangers it takes 20 and they have 20. The characterization possibilities are going to be great.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try thinking in terms of 'Blakes 7' - the Liberator functioned with a crew of 6 and the ship's computer, and most of the time only a couple of them ever seemed to be involved in ship functions. Who knows (yet) just how advanced this ranger ship is? The Minbari are supposed to be a more advanced race than humans. Even the Excalibur was primarily human tech (or appeared to be)!

WarpPig

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Even the Excalibur was primarily human tech (or appeared to be)! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Excalibur is a combination of Minbari, human, and Vorlon tech. We're never told how much of each. Anyway, I'd guess the Excalibur was more advanced than the Liandra because it came later and the fact that it's basically a capital class Whitestar. Ya can't really get more kick-ass.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarpPig:
Try thinking in terms of 'Blakes 7' - the Liberator functioned with a crew of 6 and the ship's computer, and most of the time only a couple of them ever seemed to be involved in ship functions. Who knows (yet) just how advanced this ranger ship is? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if I remember correctly, "Blake's 7" was not a fully functional military-type setup; it was more a group of renegades. 20 sound realistic to me for a fully functioning Ranger crew. Hundreds and hundreds would be more for starting a new colony, I’d think.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Because it's so small, based on the crew count, and it's twenty years old, it can be assumed that this ship will be restricted to wherever jumpgates are available. Unless technology has advanced enough that they can "insert" jump-point tech into the ship, this will be a definite push-back from the B5 world we're all used to. Where you can just open a jump point and pop-out of hyperspace anywhere you want.

------------------
Marcus: You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

Although a passing Whitestar or Earth Alliance Destroyer may open a jump hole for the ship.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

One thing that bothered me about the White Stars was that their size kept on changing. First the White Star was supposed to be this ultra-stealthy ship, to get the rangers in and out, and do reconnaissance. By season Five it had a crew numbering in the high double digits, and a huge docking bay with a compliment of Minbari fighters.

------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes." -Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Although a passing Whitestar or Earth Alliance Destroyer may open a jump hole for the ship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would depend on the size of the ship. I assume that ships can open jump points that are sufficient for a vessel of their own size.

A White Star can't open a jump point for a warcruiser. An old EF destroyer can't hold a jump point open long enough for a slow passenger/cargo ship to pass through. But if the Liandra is a small and manouverable vessel, this is one of the most likely scenarios.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited August 05, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back