• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Van Helsing

Demon

Beyond the rim
Has anyone else wasted a couple of hours on this movie? Terribly disappointing. I found myself sitting back and admiring the special effects, without any sense of involvement in the story, and certainly no sense of tension or horror.

Hugh Jackman is capable of a much better performance than the director of this fiasco allowed. The whole movie was run at one emotional level, all melodrama and no subtlety, and so terribly predictable as to when the light relief was going to be used.

And Hugh Jackman kept his clothes on for way too much of the time ;)

Disappointing

I would love to see Jacksman in a good movie outside of X-Men. Hasn't happened yet.

He should be the next James Bond. Oh, wait, there hasn't been a good Bond in decades. Ok, so if they would make a good James Bond movie, Jackman should be Bond.

And so say I.

When I saw the initial previews I thought it might be a fun action flick, but then the full-blown trailor already exposed it for what it is.

So no, I ain't seein' it. Except maybe I'll rent the DVD to look at the monsters and Kate Beckinsale.

Actually...I thoroughly enjoyed it, because I went into it expecvting what I got. It's a brainless action/comedy...it's like the Mummy/Mummy Returns, but with Dracula/Wolfy/Franky instead.

If you like Sommer's earlier stuff, you'll like it. If you don't; you wont.

It is both camp, cheesey, silly and vapid; Dracula does overact, ham it up, and have a terrible accent, but it's meant to be like that, and if you like a bit of escapist fun, and you enjoyed those cr*ppy old horror films when you were a kid, you'll enjoy it: I did.

Vb

Actually...I thoroughly enjoyed it, because I went into it expecvting what I got. It's a brainless action/comedy...it's like the Mummy/Mummy Returns, but with Dracula/Wolfy/Franky instead.

If you like Sommer's earlier stuff, you'll like it. If you don't; you wont.

It is both camp, cheesey, silly and vapid; Dracula does overact, ham it up, and have a terrible accent, but it's meant to be like that, and if you like a bit of escapist fun, and you enjoyed those cr*ppy old horror films when you were a kid, you'll enjoy it: I did.

When I was a kid, I loved the "Hammer"* Dracula movies (with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing). I used to watch them in the dark, old movie theater during Saturday matinees, and they were great. Now, those films seem to be lacking. Christopher Lee seems thin and weak, lacking the strength to portray Dracula. Now when I see him overpowering someone in the Dracula films, I can't suspend disbelief.

So, I was hoping that Van Helsing would be good. Like all the Hammer films (and even The Fearless Vampire Killers), it always seemed to be in the dead of winter. I was hoping to get that good old feeling back. Oh well, I'm still going to see it.

* Nothing to do with Bonnie. This was back when I connected the "Hammer" name with something good.

I can detach brain and just enjoy myself. I think T3 worked in that capacity, for example.

But I just think my tolerance of it is just lower. Plus Helsing stretches it. It is just every bit that Hollywood cookie-cutter film. Lots of CGI, generic trailers (THIS FALL *things happening fast* EXCITEMENT *people being chopped about* HAS A NEW FACE *more action, cut to some credits, then flash back for one final bit of action, then fade to a date maybe*).

But Kate looks hot, so that's why it's worth a look on DVD. It's just not worth my cinema money.

"Just a fun action movie" or whatever is not, in my book, an excuse of mediocrity or absurdity. There are so many well-crafted, non-insulting to the audience escapist movies: Terminator 1 and 2, Rambo, the best martial arts flicks, James Bond, X-Men, India Jones, the original Star Wars trilogy, Jaws, Friday the 13th I & II, Exorcist, Jurassic Park, etc.

The harshest critics of Van Helsing I've seen are from those who like the old monster movies.

Kate Beckinsale- I've never even seen her act. The only time I've actuall watched her was as a guest on The Daily Show while promoting Underworld. She had a cool attitude- making fun of it while promoting it. I so desperately want to see her in a good movie. Of all the crap she's done, right now if I had to pick one to watch, it would be Serendipity because it has John Cusack and that kind of film is supposedly her strong point. I've read a lot of criticisms of her in this movie, mainly the accent and her inability to convincingly do action.

Actually, this applies to Jackman, too. He's the one guy in Hollywood who if I was asked to name a man I can identify as attractive, he would be my only answer. And he's very charming and likeable on screen, can do action, accents, etc. He and Beckinsale would, in other circumstances, make a great on-screen couple.

Shooting Fish is a fun movie, seen that?

And did you not like Underworld, or did you not see it?

It's just not worth my cinema money.

NOPE! Horrid film. This cast can act, but here they're so poorly directed and the script is so 'scooby-doo" that it's a mixture of torment and boredom to sit through this film.

Although I can say two good things about it...it's not quite as bad as MUMMY RETURNS and Jackman is shirtless in more than one scene.

Other than that, I can only hope that this isn't an indication of what to expect from all of this summer's big films. I was hoping for at least 50% of them to be at least good if not great.

Guess that's a bit optimistic, but one can wish.

I at least want POTTER and RIDDICK to rock...S2 will hopefully live up...and I'll have to see about the others...Oh, and I, ROBOT I'm hoping will be as visionary as Proyas' two previous films, THE CROW and DARK CITY.

Anyway, don't waste your money on VAN HELSING...if you must see it...I recommend waiting for video.

CE

GKE, it's not a bad movie. Hardly groundbreaking, but I liked it.

Besides, Kate Beckinsale in fucking leather with lots of guns. Go rent the movie already you poof! :D

OK, I don't mean to be insulting...but "not worth wasting Cinema money on"? How much does the cinema cost over there?

Over here it's about a fiver (£5 = $8.88), or less if, like me, you're a student. That's less than 2 pints for crying out loud!

I'm not meaning this as an attack on anyone...everyone is, of course, entitleed to see, or not see, any movies they like, it's just something I see posted a lot, and I don't understand it.

And I still enjoyed it. :p

I live in NYC, which has one of the highest costs of living in the country. Ticket prices are around $10. If you add in the exorbitant prices of concessions, transportation, and a date, it adds up.

Who needs a date? I go to see the film. If there is no one else that wants to see it, I take my teddy bear.

I always take my own sweets and drinks as the cinema is expensive. I once took sandwiches to a lunchtime showing.

OK, I don't mean to be insulting...but "not worth wasting Cinema money on"? How much does the cinema cost over there?

Over here it's about a fiver (£5 = $8.88), or less if, like me, you're a student. That's less than 2 pints for crying out loud!

I'm not meaning this as an attack on anyone...everyone is, of course, entitleed to see, or not see, any movies they like, it's just something I see posted a lot, and I don't understand it.

And I still enjoyed it. :p

If you get domestic crap beer (Budweiser, Coors, etc), you could probably come pretty close to getting a twelve pack of beer from a liquor store for the price of 1 ticket, plus popcorn and a soda is more than the price of 1 ticket. For good beer, you'd get a six pack (IE: Heineken, Corona)

yeah, sorry I meant in a pub/bar/club, not an offy. (Off Licence = Liquor Store)

In cheap pubs, a pint of beer will cost you from £1.80-£2.50. In clubs/trendy bars...even more. A pint of Hoegaarden (lovely stuff) can cost upwards of £4.50.

yeah, sorry I meant in a pub/bar/club, not an offy. (Off Licence = Liquor Store)

In cheap pubs, a pint of beer will cost you from £1.80-£2.50. In clubs/trendy bars...even more. A pint of Hoegaarden (lovely stuff) can cost upwards of £4.50.

OK, then Happy hour beer on tap in a bar, you might get 3-4 glasses (12 oz glasses, I believe) for the price of a single ticket.

Minimum cost: $5.00 (US) (matinee=shows starting before 6PM). That's when I watch "iffy" movies. ;)

KoshN, that's my strategy for seeing films at a reasonable price, too. I go to lunch, then a matinee, and I don't feel like wasting money on concession stand food.

GKE, both of my favorite Kate Beckinsdale films were made in 1995 -- Cold Comfort Farm, and Haunted. The first is very funny, and the second, a fine, old school English ghost story.

Sindatur, if Heinekens and Corona are your ideas of good beer, knock yourself out and try a Beck's Dark. That's kind of the base line for me. Of course, with all of the microbreweries around today, there are lots of even better beers. I think my current favorite is Bell's Porter, made in Kalamazoo, MI. I think it has some availability outside of Michigan, but probably not much.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back