• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

Somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking, although I hadn't considered someone going into the past to change the timeline, I was thinking more along the lines of Nimoy aged Spock reflecting back on his life. It could work, we'll have to see. And the author is right in that the Kirk, Spock, and McCoy that are cast are likely the most important components. I like the choice of Zach Quinto as Spock, I think he'll do a great job, especially with Nimoy around to help him nail some of the nuances.

Rumor has it, Ando from Heroes has been spreading word he'd love to be offered the part of Sulu.

Well, if what the AICN article states is remotely true, then that IS indeed a bold choice. A timeline change plotline does two things:

1) Gives a clean slate to work from, while keeping the same core characters involved.

2) Completely ERASES 30+ years of Star Trek TV and Movie history (all spin-off shows included) because the timeline is different going forward from the point of change. Sure some things may work out similar, but man, you are talking about making just about everything done to that point as if it never happened.

Seems like a very drastic direction to take. Somehow I think the final product won't be as drastic....so we will see how these rumors develop.

The article suggests that it's possible for everything to go out of whack and it's Nimoy aged Spock's responsibility to prevent that, so that leaves the possibility of not having major changes, but only small ripples that alllow him to change canon as he feels neccessary but keep things the same (or he could have Spock fail utterly). And that's of course assuming there is any merit to this

The article suggests that it's possible for everything to go out of whack and it's Nimoy aged Spock's responsibility to prevent that, so that leaves the possibility of not having major changes, but only small ripples that alllow him to change canon as he feels neccessary but keep things the same (or he could have Spock fail utterly). And that's of course assuming there is any merit to this

Yea that is how I took it. Could be extreme, but will probably be only small changes to open up doors to change as needed down the road.

I'd be more willing to just have a cold reboot than to have some time travelling timeline boinking in order to be able to ignore cannon in the future.

I agree with VL. Just go the whole hog and reboot it. It sounds like mirror universie fanwank to me. And if they are going to change history, the for petes sake send the Shat back in time as well. This movie needs SHATNER!!!!

Big problem with this is that there is more at stake tha just the Star Trek franchise.

If the franchise continues to tank, then the moronic suits may start to lose confidence in the entire genre - just like they did with the Western. You don't seem to see to many of them around these days, do you?

Big problem with this is that there is more at stake tha just the Star Trek franchise.

If the franchise continues to tank, then the moronic suits may start to lose confidence in the entire genre - just like they did with the Western. You don't seem to see to many of them around these days, do you?

No, but the few that come out do often have big names and are pretty great. Tombstone, Unforgiven, and now Christian Bale is starring in a new one.

I take your point, but wasn't there a time (I think in the wake of Blazing Saddles completely sending up the genre), where they just wouldn't be touched with a barge pole?

that isn't necessarily a bad thing, take westerns as the example, all the westerns that do actually get made, are at the high end of the scale quality wise.

I take your point, but wasn't there a time (I think in the wake of Blazing Saddles completely sending up the genre), where they just wouldn't be touched with a barge pole?

Well, like anything else, it comes and goes in waves. Certainly the golden age was a long time ago, but the Western genre is such a central pop cultural setting in this country that it will always be around. Just like there will always be Samurai stories in Japan. These are the unique mythologies of our respective cultures.

Similarly, sci-fi will ebb and flow in popularity and quality. Star Trek has stopped being the trend-setter for sci-fi a long time ago. Since then, it's been things like Star Wars and The Matrix that define the genre.

Indeed, I've heard a lot of art critics point out that whenever a western comes out, it is almost always relevant to or evocative of the politics/culture of the time.

In the UK that is something we don''t have - an entire genre that reflects the ebb and flow of culture.

Well we have period dramas but they don't work the same way... there is only so much you can put into endless recycling of Austen and the like.

I guess I hold a lot against them because the culture of those people is so alien to me. I'm far more interested in watching reinterpretations of the mythologies of Arthur, Robin Hood (though not the recent iBBC incarnation mind), Ivanhoe.

It seems to me that when I look at the past... I'm far more ineterested in the actual civilizations the further back you go... as we get nearer and nearer to modern times... I tend to only be interested in the conflict.

I think the switch off for me civilization wise... is when the men start wearing tights. After the Saxons I start wane off.

Last edited:
Indeed, I've heard a lot of art critics point out that whenever a western comes out, it is almost always relevant to or evocative of the politics/culture of the time.

In the UK that is something we don''t have - an entire genre that reflects the ebb and flow of culture.

The nearest equivalent for Britain is Doctor Who. It follows Britain's wars, particularly the Cold War.

Depends what you mean. Right now, Sci-Fi and Fantasy very popular, look at all the new shows in the U.S. this fall. Most of it isn't space opera or anything like Star Trek, but I would hardly say there would be a loss of faith in the genre.

I need to get into Heros, but I always manage to miss it. :eek:

I'll end up renting it, probably. :LOL: I have heard very good things about it. Lost, I'm not sure. It sounds like the kind of show that I'll find initially interesting, but eventually annoying in how they never actually get any closer to any real answers (much like my enthusiasm faded slowly as X-Files went on).

Hero's sounds more like my kind of thing. Oh, and do keep in mind that one of the most popular Star Treks (the Next Generation series) was touted as being "more of a family show than science fiction...."

What I'd love to see is more variety. But I can't really complain when I'm not watching all of the good shows that are out there right now. :LOL:

God, just give us a good "Rama" movie. That could be quite neat. :D

Depends what you mean. Right now, Sci-Fi and Fantasy very popular, look at all the new shows in the U.S. this fall. Most of it isn't space opera or anything like Star Trek, but I would hardly say there would be a loss of faith in the genre.

IMO, there's too much "sci fi" and fantasy. Between the excessive Star Wars, Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter hype (I swear I want to murder every magician on the planet, starting with David Copperfield because it annoys me how hot is wife is) and every goddamn superhero thing on the big screen and TV (seriously- Nicolas Cage as Ghost Rider? I mean... gah... ugh).

What next, a remake/prequel to Star Trek starring different actors to play Kirk and Spock? Oh wait...

I need to get into Heros, but I always manage to miss it. :eek:

I'll end up renting it, probably. :LOL: I have heard very good things about it. Lost, I'm not sure. It sounds like the kind of show that I'll find initially interesting, but eventually annoying in how they never actually get any closer to any real answers (much like my enthusiasm faded slowly as X-Files went on).

Hero's sounds more like my kind of thing. Oh, and do keep in mind that one of the most popular Star Treks (the Next Generation series) was touted as being "more of a family show than science fiction...."

What I'd love to see is more variety. But I can't really complain when I'm not watching all of the good shows that are out there right now. :LOL:

God, just give us a good "Rama" movie. That could be quite neat. :D

Heroes is the first series I've really gotton into since B5.

It really is that good.

So too much sci-fi and fantasy on tv,let's replace it with reality tv instead :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back