• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

I'd rather have him hot, though Thomas Jane is not someone I'd consider good for Kirk. Is he doing the Punisher sequel, or is that not happening?

Well, folks hopefully this isn't true, 'cause Christopher Pike is supposed to be attractive (and sane) but SciFiWire is reporting a rumor from IGN that Tom Cruise may be cast in a cameo as Christopher Pike.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=43113

I actually like the idea of Zach Quinto as Spock, I think he can do a fabulous job with the role, especially with Leonard Nimoy as a mentor to guide him through the nuances.

Why would Tom Cruise want a supporting role in a film coming out of a dead and beaten-to-dust franchise like Trek?

Not that I wouldn't mind an excuse as good as Cruise being in it not to watch it. :LOL:

For god's sake, let Trek die finally, guys.

Why would Tom Cruise want a supporting role in a film coming out of a dead and beaten-to-dust franchise like Trek?

Not that I wouldn't mind an excuse as good as Cruise being in it not to watch it. :LOL:

For god's sake, let Trek die finally, guys.

He might do it for JJ, or just to claim he was a part of Trek Lore.

You know, on that point, I know there are some actors out there that watched Trek as a kid. I wonder that we don't see more weirdly-placed "guest" appearances. :)

Well, there was Christian Slater in the Undiscovered Country, which was just when he was cool - god knows why he ever was that ...

Well, there was Christian Slater in the Undiscovered Country, which was just when he was cool - god knows why he ever was that ...

Christian Slater was in the Undiscovered Country?

<Runs off to check IMDB>

Heh, Excelsior Com officer, I'll have to watch for that.

Last edited:
I believe you see him exactly once .. getting Sulu out of bed.

*insert slash fan-fiction here*

:LOL:

Oh, god, don't go there.

I had no idea he was in that movie. Man, they had that for pure fun, then, they certainly didn't make publicity out of it. :LOL:

Thanks, Chilli, that's interesting to know. :)

It was more that he was a HUGE trekkie (if you've ever noticed that his eyebrows are really weird .. that's because he shaved them when he was a kid, for his Spock halloween outfit, but they never grew back normally) and that his mother was the casting director on the Undiscovered Country. (Mary Jo Slater, who was also the casting director on B5, I believe) .. mommy giving her kid a tiny little present, that didn't actually affect the movie in any way.

Well, I was willing to check this out, but this news certainly doesn't inspire me with confidence:

The Sci-Fi channel reveals more of the background to the movie:
Chekov cast in Trek XI

Yelchin Is Trek's Chekov

Anton Yelchin (Alpha Dog) is in negotiations to play Pavel Chekov, the Russian-born navigator of the USS Enterprise in J.J. Abrams' upcoming 11th installment in the Star Trek film franchise, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Russian-born Yelchin will join Zachary Quinto (Heroes) and Leonard Nimoy, who will both play the role of Mr. Spock in the film. Casting is under way in New York and London for Kirk, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty, the film's villain and the Federation captain. Abrams, who will helm the untitled film, is expected to sign bigger-name actors for the latter two parts.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, but the storyline is believed to chronicle the early days of the Enterprise crew during their time at Starfleet Academy.

Chekov was played by Walter Koenig on the original Star Trek TV series, and he is a key member of the Enterprise crew.

The film is scheduled to open on Dec. 25, 2008.

Well, so this is to be fan fiction, basically. They are so afraid they just can't try anything new. They are relying heavily on the "nostalgia" of TOS fans. And that just smacks of Star Trek doing all it can do lately: make a few bucks getting some really hard-core fans worked up.

For a franchise about the future, space travel, innovation and exploration it sure is afraid to actually go out and explore anything, with all new stories and characters.

I just don't find any excitement in me anymore for this project. It's like the old, sad guy who has one great story from his life, and so repeats it until everyone is sick of him. :(

OK so how does that work? So its supposed to take place with the crew of the Enterprise but while they were still at the Academy? Well when Kirk was in the Academy, Chekov was in diapers!! Hell he didn't even appear on the Enterprise until the second season I think, and he was a just-out-of-the-academy Ensign! Kirk was in his 30s at that time, and had been out of the academy for 10+ years.

From here....this makes about zero sense. I'm really getting confused.

OK so how does that work? So its supposed to take place with the crew of the Enterprise but while they were still at the Academy? Well when Kirk was in the Academy, Chekov was in diapers!! Hell he didn't even appear on the Enterprise until the second season I think, and he was a just-out-of-the-academy Ensign! Kirk was in his 30s at that time, and had been out of the academy for 10+ years.

From here....this makes about zero sense. I'm really getting confused.

I too agree, that it is starting to get very confusing that all these characters can exist in the movie. However, we don't actually know for sure it's an Academy plot yet, that detail hasn't actually been given out, has it? it still just ruomr, that could possibly be wrong, right? With a young and an old Spock, and the Academy rumor, and all the Enterprise characters who couldn't be at the academy at the same time (Plus the possibility they might cast a Christopher Pike snippet), I'm wondering if maybe this movie is going to be Leonard as Spock, reflecting back on his life in flashbacks?

that's a very cool but hugely unlikely possibility, the academy rumour rings pretty true to me, and it really will suck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back