• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

To Live and Die in Starlight on Sci-Fi (US) June 2

Re: To Live and Die in Starlight on Sci-Fi (US) Ju

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by solaris5:
<font color=yellow>Hey, gang, isn't 1.0 really shit? I mean, I'm not sure if it's the same system, but TNG had scored 7 to 10 and even Voyager held a steady 5 for awhile.
Why is B5 doing so crap in comparison?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Nothing on Sci-Fi seems to score what stuff on the bigger networks does.

TNG is in TNN.
Voyager was on UPN.

<font color=yellow>Hey, gang, isn't 1.0 really shit? I mean, I'm not sure if it's the same system, but TNG had scored 7 to 10 and even Voyager held a steady 5 for awhile.
Sol,

As I believe JoeD and SavantB5 have mentioned, there is a HUGE difference between ratings on a cable network channel, and syndicated television. Not everyone has cable and Satellite ya know. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Most people do though. Or atleast here. I mean, I don't know of anyone, except like homeless people that don't have either cable, satellite or both. Well, here that is, might be different over there.

The only people I know who have cable are my parents and people who live on my university's campus. In about a week, I will no longer have cable, and neither will anybody I know. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif You don't make what I'm gonna make a year and pay for cable... /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

*goes to write another check for yet another bill*

I think Sol lives in a world of his own. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Cable and sat. take money. Many, many poorer people can only afford the tv set. And maybe, just maybe, a vcr.

I live in an area where regular reception is not possible. So I can see how some might get the impression that cable is as common as broadcast network tv.

It's still not even close, but every year it gets closer.

SavantB5:

Didn't know that about Sci-Fi's scheduling (though I noticed the Chronicle marathon when I looked for B5 this afternoon.) Makes sense. Between work and a general lack of interest, I haven't been watching Sci-Fi much in recent months, so I haven't paid much attention to how they do things.

solaris5:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Hey, gang, isn't 1.0 really shit?<hr></blockquote>

B5 drew better ratings in broadcast syndication than it did on any cable run, too. (I think "Severed Dreams" drew something like a 4.3 the first time it aired, a number which only the most heavily-promoted B5 TV movies have even approached.) In the broadcast world, there are fewer channels competing in each local market. Even when you add in cable, the local broadcast channels (which are generally given their - low - channel numbers by cable systems) have an edge over cable-only channels.

In the most recent ratings period, cable channels as a whole out-scored broadcast channels in prime time for the first time ever. But in most markets that means fifteen or twenty channels collectively outscored four or five. Individually, the cable-only "networks" are not pulling NBC/CBS/ABC numbers, or even matching local independent broadcast channels.

Here's something from an industry publication. The article is about why cable channels continue to buy off-network shows (like the Sci-Fi/TNT X-Files acquisition) while touting original series:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Off-network programming has enhanced the ratings for Court TV's original fare, according to executive vice president of programming Art Bell.

NYPD Blue — which cuffed an average Nielsen Media Research household rating of 0.7 in the first quarter during its 8 p.m. weeknight time slot — leads into Forensic Files and The System, two shows about investigation.

Forensic Files has emerged as Court TV's highest-rated original, averaging a 0.9 household rating in the first quarter.<hr></blockquote>

So 0.7 is good for a rerun, and 0.9 is a hit on Court TV. That alone should give you an idea of the kind of ratings that cable channels get.

I'd have to say that Savant's estimate of a 1.0 is probably in the ballpark. Not that I think the ratings for this airing matter particularly. Short of the movie's doing a 5.0, a huge share and hitting the perfect demographic, I don't think Sci-Fi is going to reconsider its Rangers decision. Their original deal with Warner Bros. probably called for multiple showing in exchange for the three-plus million dollars they put up to produce the film, so of course they'll show it from time to time. It fills airtime and probably won't do any worse in the ratings than anything else they've got on hand. If it matches the demographics of something else they're promoting, as Savant indicated, so much the better.

As for why they aren't likely to reconsider, and why they decided to spend 1/5th the money an episode of Rangers would cost on an old war-horse like X-Files, here's another quotation from the same article:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Virtually every cable network touts its original programming as the Holy Grail for sampling, branding, promotion and repeat viewing. So why do so many programmers still fill their lineups with off-network fare?

"In a perfect world there would be all sorts of brilliant, original programming airing all of the time on cable," said TV Guide senior editor J. Max Robins. "But the economic model for basic cable doesn't permit that."

Major cable programmers like Court TV, TBS Superstation, Sci Fi Channel and Turner Network Television couldn't agree more. They firmly believe that established, off-network programming is far cheaper and less risky than developing and marketing unproven original fare.

The right off-net series, they said, can draw viewers in key demos and serve as a strategic gateway for original shows.<hr></blockquote>

F/X has said that established off-net shows like X-Files helped it build it audience to the point where it could afford to take a chance on something as risky as The Shield, which has turned into an unexpected hit, even though they probably paid too much for the Fox series purely in terms of the ratings it got them.

Regards,

Joe

There are a lot of things to consider.

First, comparing ratings of one era to ratings of another era is misleading. In the U.S., we've gone from a TV environment where a few decades ago, the three big networks had over 90% of all the viewing and ratings were large to one where there are six broadcast networks and hundreds of cable/satellite networks. The average home now gets 89 channels. The result: ratings erosion. Ratings for individual shows just aren't as high now as they were even five years ago. The audience is fractionalized.

Second, each network has a different benchmark for success. What would be a "hit" on the Sci Fi Channel, would be a flop on WB. What would be a Hit on WB, would be a flop on NBC.

BTW, reruns of ST:TNG on TNN do only 0.8's on TNN so it's not getting 12's anymore either.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hypatia:
<font color=yellow>I think Sol lives in a world of his own. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Cable and sat. take money. Many, many poorer people can only afford the tv set. And maybe, just maybe, a vcr.

I live in an area where regular reception is not possible. So I can see how some might get the impression that cable is as common as broadcast network tv.

It's still not even close, but every year it gets closer.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Cable/Satellite reception is in 81% of U.S. homes.

Not surprisingly, non-cable homes have much lower income and educational levels than cable homes. This is why you see a proliferation of downscale programming in syndication these days. Non-cable homes are propping up their ratings.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow>B5 drew better ratings in broadcast syndication than it did on any cable run, too. (I think "Severed Dreams" drew something like a 4.3 the first time it aired, a number which only the most heavily-promoted B5 TV movies have even approached.) In the broadcast world, there are fewer channels competing in each local market. Even when you add in cable, the local broadcast channels (which are generally given their - low - channel numbers by cable systems) have an edge over cable-only channels.

</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Actually, Severed Dreams had a 3.3 the first time it aired. B5's ratings picked up steam during the early part of Season 4 and peaked at 4.1 for "Into the Fire":

3.3 Severed Dreams
3.2 Ceremonies of Light & Dark
3.5 Sic Transit Vir
3.1 Late Delivery from Avalon
3.6 Ship of Tears
3.4 Interludes & Examinations
3.4 World Without End-part I
3.4 World Without End-part II
3.2 Walkabout
3.7 Grey 17 Is Missing
3.5 And The Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
3.1 Shadow Dancing
3.6 Z'Ha'Dum(SEASON FINALE)
3.8 Hour of the Wolf(Premiere)
3.8 Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
3.8 The Summoning
3.8 Falling Towards Apotheosis
3.9 The Long Night
4.1 Into The Fire
3.6 Epiphanies

What's interesting to note is that when TNT picked up the fifth season, those 3 ratings didn't transfer over. The premiere of ITB got a 4 in TNT households, but the fifth season premiere got only a 2. It was lower than people expected from the syndication ratings. Then, the ratings faded further during the season. I've always been of the belief that this contributed to TNT's nervous attitude when Crusade went into production.

Which of course had nothing to do with B5 going to cable - and less (even if by a few) had access to it, putting during semi (late) prime time on a Wednesday (which I think was during season 1 of the then sleeper hit South Park) instead of several times in syndication, usually on the weekend and not against prime time shows on major networks. Also it couldn't help that they kept pre-empting B5 for basketball! How many months did we have to wait before we saw the next scene after the Narn and Drazi started their bombing? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SavantB5:
<font color=yellow>What's interesting to note is that when TNT picked up the fifth season, those 3 ratings didn't transfer over. The premiere of ITB got a 4 in TNT households, but the fifth season premiere got only a 2. It was lower than people expected from the syndication ratings. Then, the ratings faded further during the season. I've always been of the belief that this contributed to TNT's nervous attitude when Crusade went into production.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Probably due to Claudia's departure. That hit fans hard, myself included. Do you have any Season 5 ratings for the premiere run on TNT? I'd bet it picked up in all the non-Byron episodes. The Centauri War, and Objects in Motion through Sleeping in Light had to have gotten good ratings.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>Do you have any Season 5 ratings for the premiere run on TNT? I'd bet it picked up in all the non-Byron episodes. The Centauri War, and Objects in Motion through Sleeping in Light had to have gotten good ratings.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I saw these ratings a very long time ago.
No, it didt improve...it was always downhill. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif
Beginning of season was about 3.0-2.0 and tropped to 1.5 in the end. Sleeping in Light was lowest point...got 1.3

What sigma said...

...is correct. The ratings had no rebound. It was almost like the Byron episodes made viewers give up entirely. The highest rating was for the third episode.

It was a very nervous time for us "ratings-watchers" because it wasn't sending positive signals to the PTB about B5's vitality.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>The Centauri War, and Objects in Motion through Sleeping in Light had to have gotten good ratings.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I suppose people wouldn't have known to pick up watching again. The second half of S5 was exceptionally good & strong stuff IMHO, but if people weren't watching, they wouldn't have known that there were some truly great eps coming along.

Re: What sigma said...

<font color=yellow>...is correct. The ratings had no rebound. It was almost like the Byron episodes made viewers give up entirely. The highest rating was for the third episode.

It was a very nervous time for us "ratings-watchers" because it wasn't sending positive signals to the PTB about B5's vitality.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Hard to believe that SiL got a low rating. SiL should have been in the 5's, minimum, as should have the Centauri War.

<font color=yellow>Cable/Satellite reception is in 81% of U.S. homes.

Not surprisingly, non-cable homes have much lower income and educational levels than cable homes. This is why you see a proliferation of downscale programming in syndication these days. Non-cable homes are propping up their ratings.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Yah dudes, see, I'm right. You people are just too poor to know it /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
lol
I don't know. Most people I know are far from rich. I mean, take me for example, I'm dirt poor.
I live in a small house, three bedrooms, 1830 sq feet.
I have two cars, both Hyundai Sonatas, one is a 4cyl '00 the other a V6 '02.
My house was only about a quarter mil.
My mom works in construction, my dad in packaging. Two TVs, the biggest of them being a 27 inch. Normal, not flatscreen or anything, a Phillips.
A $1500 soundsystem (entirely unimpressive IMHO, I know people whose DVD players cost more)
I only have one working computer. The other one needs a new drive. My one working computer only cost 600 bucks. The sound system for it, I got for 40 at computer fest. We have cable TV and the internet on cable. Comes down to about 90 bucks a month. Not entirely that bad.

Beats living in a thatched hut without running water, hoping to have enough beans and tortillas to feed the kids twice in one day. Most of us don't know how good we have it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>SiL should have been in the 5's, minimum, as should have the Centauri War.<hr></blockquote>

"Should" have been? The ratings were what they were. There is a difference between desire (or wish-fantasy) and reality. Reality is where we live, and what we have to deal with. Constantly comparing it with how we'd like it to be mostly generates frustration and unrealistic expectations.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow>"Should" have been?
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Yes, based on the quality of those episodes.

It's tough being someone who likes good beer, living in a light beer (piss water) world.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jade Jaguar:
<font color=yellow>Beats living in a thatched hut without running water, hoping to have enough beans and tortillas to feed the kids twice in one day. Most of us don't know how good we have it.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Well, dude, seriously. If that's your life, it takes a pretty dumb person not to figure out that something is wrong and do something about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back