• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

To Live and Die in Starlight on Sci-Fi (US) June 2

What we need to do is hire a really good hacker to telnet into Nielsen and hack their ratings boxes, thereby inflating the ratings. Then all will be good. Did I say that out loud?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SavantB5:
<font color=yellow>Anyone want to predict what rating B5LR will get?

I'll start. My prediction is 1.0.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I will take the other part of the bet and go for 2.8

This is mostly to cheer myself up. Babylon 5 is currently getting 8,000 viewers in the UK. Bravo UK is one of the ITV Digital pay channels that have been disconnected.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by A_M_Swallow:
<font color=yellow>This is mostly to cheer myself up. Babylon 5 is currently getting 8,000 viewers in the UK. Bravo UK is one of the ITV Digital pay channels that have been disconnected.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Are you on ITV digital? At least Bravo is still on cable and Sky, so if you change over you can still get it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nukemall:
<font color=yellow>Are you on ITV digital? At least Bravo is still on cable and Sky, so if you change over you can still get it.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I can not get any of them. I live in a flat on the South Coast of England. We are not allowed to put up satellite dishes, the cable stops 1 mile away in the council estate and ITV Digital never built a transmitter.

We do have to do something about those Babylon 5 ratings. Know anyone with a BARB box?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hypatia:
<font color=yellow>I'll predict that 1.0 is going to be the average g.p.a. for at least half of my algebra students this semester. /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

After checking to see what will be against "To Live and Die in Starlight," my guess it will do well so will go with a 3.1.

If it could do well on June 2 would it change anything? Sci-fi wouldn't just change it's mind and ask for a series at this late date, would it?

<font color=yellow>If it cold do well on June 2 would it change anything? Sci-fi wouldn't just change it's mind and ask for a series at this late date, would it?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Don't know if cold weather would help or not. As for Scifi changing its mind, possible but not likely. If they did, doubt they could get the original cast together again.

Well... with luck they might reconsider for the next year. At least - that's what I hope /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
They announced new shows etc. If these shows don't get the ratings they wanted to see and if TLaDiS gets a decent rating this time... who knows? The West Coast ratings were very good during the 1st run. Maybe the East Coast will do better this time
But then again, this is just mho

Rashenn

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rashenn:
<font color=yellow>Well... with luck they might reconsider for the next year. At least - that's what I hope /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
They announced new shows etc. If these shows don't get the ratings they wanted to see and if TLaDiS gets a decent rating this time... who knows? The West Coast ratings were very good during the 1st run. Maybe the East Coast will do better this time
But then again, this is just mho

Rashenn</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Anything is possible. The most positive is, at last word, they are keeping the sets in storage. This to me indicates they haven't given up on B5LR completely yet.

Hopefully SciFi does a descent amount of advertising for this. I know they did alot for the first showing - but I doubt they'd do nearly as much here. Hopefully they do enough so people not already looking for this info will find it - as well as people who didn't here all of us shout for joy when we heard the news. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

*wonders if Wal-Mart is selling ten hour blank tapes*

**RW doesn't want to brag, but he has all of the B5 movies on tape.** /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gangster:
<font color=yellow>Don't know if cold weather would help or not. As for Scifi changing its mind, possible but not likely. If they did, doubt they could get the original cast together again.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

If Rangers has good ratings Sci-Fi may not make it in to a series but they may make a different Babylon 5 spin off next year. Some of the actors may get reused.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gangster:
<font color=yellow>After checking to see what will be against "To Live and Die in Starlight," my guess it will do well so will go with a 3.1.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I guess I should share my rationale for my 1.0 prediction.

The first time, B5LR did a 1.7, followed by a 0.9, followed by a 0.6 for the third showing. All the B5 movies ran that week and the best rating they got was a 0.9 for Thirdspace. The others were lower than that.

The B5 movies have run before and they always got ratings of 1.0 to 1.1 at their best.

The worst-rated movie is always River of Souls, which had the least number of popular B5 castmembers in it.

Most non-premiere movies get ratings in the low 1's on Sci Fi.
So, I'm sticking with a "1.0" prediction. There's chance for a 1.1 or 1.2, but I'll stick with it.

I can't think of any strong rationale why it would get a 2.8 or 3 rating. It's just not that good a movie--and I do think quality matters.

On the related topic of whether a good rating will change SciFi's mind, I never believed the rating was the primary reason they didn't go with the series to begin with. As long as those other barriers are in place--the ones that no one allows themselves to talk about--I don't see any change in status.

<font color=yellow>Most non-premiere movies get ratings in the low 1's on Sci Fi.
So, I'm sticking with a "1.0" prediction. There's chance for a 1.1 or 1.2, but I'll stick with it.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I believe you.

But I can also dream.

Re: To Live and Die in Starlight on Sci-Fi (US) Ju

<font color=yellow>I'll predict that 1.0 is going to be the average g.p.a. for at least half of my algebra students this semester. /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Heh, funny. Well, except for the students. Basic math gives so many people trouble. There's a problem out there somewhere.

It seems a bit unusual that Sci-Fi only ran Legend over that one weekend and then waited a bunch of months before showing it again. It seems like they had some kind of idea of what they were going to do with it from the start.

And what are those "other barriers" that reamin unspoken, Savant? I must have missed something.

Oh and **2aMageing doesn't want to brag, but he has the ability to put his B5 movies and Episodes on DVD now.....um, well sort of ** /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Yes, I would like to know what the other barriers are, too, Savant.

Tammy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 2aMageing:
<font color=yellow>And what are those "other barriers" that reamin unspoken, Savant? I must have missed something.

Because you asked:

They have been spoken of in the past by several people, but no one is mentioning them now:

1.) WB and Sci Fi not being able to agree on a price. This was first hinted by JMS in which he talked about WB wanting a high price and Sci Fi wanting a low price (which they get for all their other series). I don't think Sci Fi will change their position because what they can afford for the ad revenue they get has not changed. Has anyone heard that WB is going to change and offer B5LR for a lower price?

2. The fact that WB IS WB. With the sale of the USA Networks to Vivendi Universal, Universal series are getting the preference over other production companies. Has WB sold B5 to Universal and I haven't heard about it?

3. The possibility that Sci Fi may not have liked the pilot and saw it as "just another show about people flying around in spaceships with aliens". As a pilot, B5LR didn't distinguish itself as presenting anything new or different in this crowded category (Farscape, Andromeda, Enterprise all currently in production). It was pretty generic "space show" which brought nothing new to the genre. Sci Fi already has a show in this category, they don't need another one, particularly one that is even more generic.

I know most of you thought the pilot was fantastic, but you have to look at it through other eyes once in a while.

<font color=yellow>2. The fact that WB IS WB. With the sale of the USA Networks to Vivendi Universal, Universal series are getting the preference over other production companies. Has WB sold B5 to Universal and I haven't heard about it?

I guess if Warner Brothers did offer to sell B5 (the whole kit & kaboodle) to somebody else, they'd ask a price that they know that nobody would pay. It'd be kind of like what TNT did, but for different reasons. TNT wanted to kill B5 in the end, but Warner Brothers wants to do B5 themselves and would rather have it lie dormant, forever if necessary, than have any other studio have success with it.

Just a guess.

Hey, gang, isn't 1.0 really shit? I mean, I'm not sure if it's the same system, but TNG had scored 7 to 10 and even Voyager held a steady 5 for awhile.
Why is B5 doing so crap in comparison?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back