• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So, when do the ratings come in?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:

I have a question...

Has anyone asked JMS for the ratings? He used to post them himself in the TNT days. If TNT would give them to him, I don't see why SciFi couldn't.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a couple of threads in the moderated newsgroup asking about the ratings, and at least one of them has "ATTN JMS" in the subject line.

------------------

Sorry about the double post. There seems to have been a lag time between me posting, and being able to see it show up on the board. I figured it didn't go through the first time, and posted again.

[This message has been edited by Chris Springob (edited January 23, 2002).]

The difference is that the ratings could be a factor in negotiations between Scifi and WB. TNT was not looking at the ItB ratings to decide on picking up season five, they were sufficiently impressed by the ratings to then consider another season.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Shaal: email would not be a best first choice. JMS gets literally hundreds of (if not more) emails a day... I'm sure he's already been asked about the ratings at least a hundred times.
smile.gif

Best thing we can do is sit tight and wait... the numbers will eventually come. Faith manages.

cool.gif

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
ok stupid question coming here but how do contact JMS ?And ask him ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed that unless it is absolutely necessary, -don't- email JMS. The best way to ask him a question is to post a message in the moderated newsgroup and hope he answers.

For those who have no clue what I am talking about, try Google's Groups service where you can read and post messages (you just have to register an email with them).

Good luck!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 23, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Given the "down" market in advertising right now, I can't imagine SciFi waiting too long to make an announcement if the ratings were in the fantastic range.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once again, Savant, I bow to your superior knowledge in this area. I was speculating that Sci-Fi might want to avoid the inevitable deluge of questions about the series if they posted a "good" number. But your comments on the advertising market make perfect sense. Besides, they're probably already being deluged with questions about the series. You can hardly access their site these days.

As for asking JMS: I think that in the TNT days they not only gave him the numbers, but permission to divulge them. Sci-Fi may want to make the announcement themselves, if the ratings are good.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Hey everyone. I was surfing the web, anxious as everyone to find out what kind of ratings LoTR earned, and I found a website updated today with cable ratings.
http://www.timewarnersd.com/weekend.htm

I can't vouch for the source -- I just stumbled across it, but it looks authentic. And if it is true, LoTR was the 3rd highest rated cable show of the weekend, assuming I'm reading it correctly.

So, I'll let those in the know tell us how good a 3.2 really is!

Brad

------------------
Brad Wilders

I have two questions. In the Neilson ratings boxes does a VCR taping count as a viewer?

When you get a phone survey asking what channel you are watching, or a similar question, is that a survey by Neilson or one of the advertisers?

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Haven't found ratings for B5:LotR TLaDiS yet. On Sci-Fi Channels website they have published today the syndicated shows ratings:

Maybe this will give us a number to comare to when we do find out the ratings for our newest favorite Sci-Fi show.

Top 10 SF Syndicated TV Shows

Mutant X 2.6
Stargate SG-1 2.6
The X-Files 2.5
Andromeda 2.4
3rd Rock 2.3
Buffy 2.1
Earth: Final Conflict 1.7
John Edward 1.7
Beastmaster 1.6
The Lost World 1.6

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 12/17/01 - 12/23/01.

------------------
"What is it, you moonfaced assasin of joy?".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Wilders:
I can't vouch for the source -- I just stumbled across it, but it looks authentic. And if it is true, LoTR was the 3rd highest rated cable show of the weekend, assuming I'm reading it correctly.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately that looks like a local cable provider, so those may only be local ratings...even so it bodes well for the ratings over-all.

------------------
Callahan's Law: Shared Pain is Lessened, Shared Joy Increased.

Lady Sally's Law: Shared Despair is Squared, Shared Hope Cubed. (Or better...raised to the power of infinity?)

---

http://www.gleep.net

http://www.vandread-nirvana.net

Brad:

That may only be the rating the show got among Time-Warner Cable subscribers in San Diego. I'm happy if it got that high a number anywhere, but San Diego cable-viewers may not be a representative sample. (The city hosts a major comic book convention every year, which suggests a large population of genre fans, and JMS used to live there. This rating may reflect the fact that everyone he knows in town watched the movie.
smile.gif
)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Thank you, Brad! The data does indeed look local, but it also looks quite promising. Hopefully other regions were equally active or (hopes) even more active.
laugh.gif

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Wow! B5 beat Jackass and NFL! That's a good sign
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan:Are you sure we can't jump
Lennier:positive
Sheridan:Then we have a problem
Lennier:No $h!t Sherlock
Sheridan:RUN FOR IT!!!!
Downbelow Sound Archive

Well, for what it's worth, the San Diego cable site has its ratings data archived for all of 2001. I can't even FIND the 'Epoch' movie that I gather sits in Sci Fi's number 2 spot, and the San Diego ratings for the weekend of Nov 23-25, 2001 list programs with ratings as low as 2.1. So in that case it looks like SD's rating was actually BELOW the national average. That seems almost like too-good-to-be-true territory for me, but even granting that this is only one data point, a 2.5-3.0 doesn't seem totally impossible.

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

BTW, USA Today has published Nielsen Top 20 Ratings for last week. I don't think any of us were expecting to breach the top 20, and we did not. Here's the link if you're interested:

USA Today Nielsen Top 20

All this tells us is that Rangers got less than a 9.7. Of course, most predictions were for around 3.0 so no one should be surprised or concerned that Rangers didn't make the Top 20 for last week.

This does mean that the relevant ratings are out there somewhere. We'll see them soon!!! [his fingers crossed, knuckles white]

Cheers,

Eirik

------------------
It never ends; it only changes!

posted January 23, 2002 04:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, USA Today has published Nielsen Top 20 Ratings for last week. I don't think any of us were expecting to breach the top 20, and we did not. Here's the link if you're interested:
USA Today Nielsen Top 20

All this tells us is that Rangers got less than a 9.7. Of course, most predictions were for around 3.0 so no one should be surprised or concerned that Rangers didn't make the Top 20 for last week.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked out your link. These are ratings from broadcast TV only. Notice there are no cable stations listed. Comparing apples to oranges.

------------------
"What is it, you moonfaced assasin of joy?".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I have two questions. In the Neilson ratings boxes does a VCR taping count as a viewer?

When you get a phone survey asking what channel you are watching, or a similar question, is that a survey by Neilson or one of the advertisers?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you become a Nielsen meter household, they attach a meter to every TV AND VCR in the house. For some programs 15-20% of the rating is due to VCR taping.

Nielsen doesn't do phone surveys, but a lot of other research is done for other reasons that relate to what you are watching. This research is all useful to somebody or they wouldn't be paying money for it. Never shirk from participating.

------------------

What about those of us who screen all calls? I have gotten so sick of the telemarketers, I listen as messages come in on my answering machine.

Do survey people leave messages?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back