• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So, when do the ratings come in?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Is it possible that while none of the three separate showings of the movie got spectacular ratings, the ratings were OK if all three are considered?

Or would the published ratings already take all three showings into account, sort of combining the three?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ratings in that article are for one airing. Many programs and movies air more than once. In fact, there are several movies listed twice in that top 25--meaning two seperate airings got good enough ratings to qualify.

------------------

Whomever claims the a preview for this show was before The Lord Of The Rings is full of cr@P because I saw this thing (with some relatives) and it sure as heck did NOT happen!!! I remember because I was making alot of jokes to the one person in the group who watched alot of B5 also about Rangers and Lorien and all the B5 connected material in the movie and kept thinking that those near by must be puzzled as heck as to what was so funny because they has no idea was I was referring to.

crazy.gif

Additionally, I had to tape it for three other people who don't even get the Sci-Fi channel. In fact it'll be the only thing from that network that they've one of them has ever seen.

tongue.gif

Shaman,

You may have missed to posts on this site regarding the B5LR trailer showing in selected markets. SciFi only paid to show the trailer in certain areas, not the entire country.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

And even that didn't happen on the day it was supposed to, did it? There was that bit of news that someone hadn't gotten the paperwork through on time, or something, to be aired on opening night of Lord of the Rings. IIRC

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Mondo Londo makes a good point on another thread that is now closed (for duplication). Which “key groups” are the Sci-Fi channel looking for?

the other thread

Also, I'll sneak a question in here, too. How long can threads get before they must be closed/deleted because they are too large? We may have a catch-22 here. You can't add to an old thread because it takes an hour to load that page and it's messing with the mechanics of the site, and you can't open a new thread as long as an old one exists.
wink.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited January 26, 2002).]

It's around 250 posts, Hypatia. I actually don't think that any thread in this forum has reached that limit yet.

As for closing the threads in case of duplication... it's a sneaky issue, really. It feels kind of bad to do this, especially when there are interesting questions posed in the thread, but then again, if it's not done, it will be impossible for people to keep an eye on all topics.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Thanks Kribu! Our newest "President" is busy these days, huh?
wink.gif

Seriously, though, who could find ANYTHING if you didn't do this? If anyone cares to check out what was said on that other thread, I already gave them the link.

So, 5 full pages and it's out. That's why there have been (what?) 4 or 5 "Kribu" threads now?
laugh.gif

------------------

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Whomever claims the a preview for this show was before The Lord Of The Rings is full of cr@P because I saw this thing (with some relatives) and it sure as heck did NOT happen!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As noted in two previous posts the trailer (a) did not run in all theaters where LotR played, nor in all cities and (b) the trailer didn't start playing in even the designated theaters until a couple of weeks after the movie opened, owing to a SNAFU with the paperwork. I would add that (knowing the way theaters operate these days) there is a good chance that it wasn't shown before every single showing in every theater that did have it, owing to human error.

Even absent knowledge of any of this, you really shouldn't say that other members of this forum are "full of cr@ap" for "claiming" to have seen a trailer that you missed. The fact that you, personally, did not see the trailer no more disproves its existance than the fact that you haven't been to Antarctica disproves its. As it happens I saw the trailer the second time saw LotR, having gone out of my way to another town to do so, since none of the near-by theaters was running it.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Any figures to fit the equations

Total viweres = first showing + second + third + VCR - rewatch?
crazy.gif

------------------
Andrew Swallow

If we ever get the ratings:
To get a more accurate picture of the ratings, in light of the trashing of ratings by the football game, to discuss and try to tell scifi about:
Multiply the ratings received by the following:
compare the average ratings of other, popular, shows whose ratings usually come out eavery weekend to the ratings those same shows received that night(presumably, all shows would be affected by the game).
that ratio should be applied to the ratings of lotr:tladis
for example, lets saw the ratings for lotr were 1.0(for simplicities sake only) and friends normally gets 5 that night but got 3 cause of the game, millionaire 7 but 4, judging amy 6 but 2, cops 4 but 1, wrestling 3 but 2, then the ratings should be adjusted upwards by about a factor of 2 to make a decision. also, the reruns should be considered, as die hards may have missed the game for it but the general audience could have watched the next day, splitting the audience.

also, in canada, in terms of food and basic materials other than high tech, there is about a 20-25% increase of purchasing power in an american dollar versus spending it in america. for example, a mcdonlads hamburger costs 80 cents for every dollar it costs in america, adjusting for the exchange rate(according to the Economist magazine a couple months ago)

just my .0131 american cents worth
as to the illegality of internet downloads, what are fans supposed to do when space(the canadian 'scifi channel')may not even pick it up for a long time(they started airing B5 series in 98/99, at least thats when i first heard of it, and didnt get s5 until 00, iirc)

CR, canadian

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
It's around 250 posts, Hypatia. I actually don't think that any thread in this forum has reached that limit yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup I have been mod on Ranger forum sinse the beginning and this forum has never had a thread as long as 250 so I havn't had to deal with that issue yet.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I was looking at the Medialife article SavantB5 linked in and had a couple of thoughts.

1. We really don't know how it compared to all the other programming in its timeslot. Comparing the Medialife with the San Diego listings which included airtimes, only the Lifetime movie Deadly Matrimony appeared on both. B5LR beat it out west, but it would make sense for it to do well nationwide vs football. Somewhere, maybe here, I saw it noted that many of the networks put more female-oriented programming against the game. In fact the football may have increased ratings for Lifetime by splitting some households up. As for the other Saturday programs in the Medialife list, another was a Lifetime movie which I know didn't air against the first showing but don't know the exact timing, and the rest were Nick shows which I cannot tell the time slots but don't think they were in that time slot.

So for all we know, it may be second to that movie in that timeslot for the nation on cable. And that could be considered good news considering the impact of the game.

2. The demographic age listings were not much help either. Looking at the 3 tables (one dated 1/13, but think its a typo), only the first had any Saturday shows, both from MTV and although I don't know the time slots, I don't think they were direct competition, and they didn't make the top 25 list above either. The other two tables were devoid of any Saturday programming which shows that it was a bad night for the cable networks overall compared to other nights.

So although the article did set an upper limit on the ratings B5LR got, it seems that Saturday night overall was a down night and we cannot say that it was all bad because it didn't make the list. If anyone else can find anymore local/regional ratings listings, it would be very interesting to look up.

I might add other thoughts, but my daughter (who woke up sick a bit ago) is falling asleep on my hands as I type (forgive any typos).

SmG

------------------
The Truth IS.....

OUT of fashion.

GaribaldisHair said
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't understand why going so far, i.e. in Australia ( sorry to all who live there, but it's just something I don't understand) shen you have Canada with a dollar almost as cheap, but located just few miles in the north.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize that this is a bit off topic, but since the question was raised here ...

Just a bit of Farscape information (as I understand it, any corrections welcome):

Farscape was from its inception a joint US/UK/Ausie production. (From what I have read, it sounds like Nine Network in Australia has massively mishandled it; but that is beside the point in this discussion of the original founding of the production site.) This is one reason why everyone can be so happy with how it has gone. SciFi (US) doesn't have to pay for anything close to what it costs to produce those sfx, make-ups, animatronics, etc. Meanwhile, Henson doesn't have to take nearly the financial risk that it would have if there was only one original outlet for the show.

Of the 3 countries producing Farscape Australia was easily the least expensive in which to work. Additionally, Australia has laws / regulations about domestic content in a network's overall schedule. This gave the Aussie contingent an additional motivation to lobby for the production to be based there. The US, and to my knowledge the UK, do not have similar regulations, and subsequent motivation to oppose Australia. Australia also has rules about how may foriegners can be "imported" for a project and still have it count as domestic. So only Ben Browder (playing the central character, John Crichton), David Kemper (a producer / show runner), and perhaps a couple others moved to Oz for the show. (Kent McCord guests as Jack Crichton, John's father, once or twice a season; but just flies down for those one or two weeks per year. He was hired, as much as anything, for name recognition / star power for the premiere.)

Casting Crichton from the US was a concession to marketing in the largest single market. From what I have read, they were originally planning to cast Aeryn Sun (the next most central character) from the US as well. Claudia Black was originally hired just to play Aeryn for the audition tapes of Australians up for other parts (since decision makers were scattered over 3 continents, they made more "screen tests" than is often the case now). She just knocked everyone's socks off to the point that they re-worked their original vision of the character for her.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EntilSedai:
If we ever get the ratings:
To get a more accurate picture of the ratings, in light of the trashing of ratings by the football game, to discuss and try to tell scifi about:
Multiply the ratings received by the following:
compare the average ratings of other, popular, shows whose ratings usually come out eavery weekend to the ratings those same shows received that night(presumably, all shows would be affected by the game).
that ratio should be applied to the ratings of lotr:tladis
CR, canadian
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think this is going to work. Not all shows will be equally affected by the playoff game. You'll need to find shows with similar demographics to B5 at a minimum.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Additionally, Australia has laws / regulations about domestic content in a network's overall schedule. This gave the Aussie contingent an additional motivation to lobby for the production to be based there. The US, and to my knowledge the UK, do not have similar regulations, and subsequent motivation to oppose Australia.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure the Canadians have the same kind of thing, or at least they used to -- the "Canadian content" was one of my favorite parts of the old SCTV show!

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm pretty sure the Canadians have the same kind of thing, or at least they used to -- the "Canadian content" was one of my favorite parts of the old SCTV show!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they do. However, no Canadian network or production company was among the original set of Farscape broadcasters / producers. This left the Aussies as the only group that was involved at the time that had that issue.

------------------

[This message has been edited by PillowRock (edited January 29, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

Back