• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Scif and fantasy's funniest moments some intentionall and some not

"He's an Asshole sir, Major Asshole"
"And his cousin?"
"He's an Asshole too sir. Gunners Mate, First Class, Philip Asshole"
"How many Assholes we got on this ship anyway"
"SIR!"
"Keep firing Assholes!!"

Oh yea the Nuclear Wessels part was awesome too. Right when US/USSR tensions were at their highest, a Russian guy is on a street corner in San Francisco asking for Nuclear Wessels. Brilliant.

This movie also illustrates why it's a bad idea to teach existensailism philosophy to a malfunctioning bomb. this movie is a scif comedy classic of the first order. :guffaw: I don't know if this one is on dvd, but if it is check it, out it's worth it

Well, it wasn't existentialism, and teaching existentialism to the smart bomb certainly would have been a bad idea, because that would have given the bomb philosophical license to decide what was true, but Doolittle is trying to get the bomb to accept his truth.

The bomb invents Cartesian logic on its own, with "I think, therefore I am." But, slips quickly into solipsism, thinking it is the only thing that exists, then detonates.

I don't know why I didn't think of this one either. It is one of my favorites. I love the ending, with the surfing on wreckage bit!

Addendum: While what I said above is true, as far as it goes, I found a partial transcript of Doolittle's dialog with the bomb, and he IS trying to teach it phenomenology, which was an influence on Existentialism. Here is a link to the dialog:
http://www2.english.uiuc.edu/cybercinema/bomb20.htm

Last edited:
Futurama when fry and the cast of the original Star trek went in search for the lost original copies of the 79 episodes. Leela pointing out to fry that this is the 30th century why would anyone care about a science fiction show that taks place in the 23rd century.

Also from futurama EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD

Does anyone remeber Spaced Invaders, the dumb Aliens who heard the 1938 War of the Worlds Braodcast and came to the supposed rescue of the Martain invaders and they ended up on Earht during Halloween whre no one would notice that they were alien. The funny part is none of them had the brains to prove they were Aliens. On alien constantly cry " Die Earthling Scum." and try attacking people unsuccessfully of course. While running fom some angry farmers on of his fellow aliens Mocking Him said " Die Earthling Scum ,I hope they carve that on your Tombstone"!

Geeze, how did I manage to forget The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension? Lots of funny stuff in that... John Parker, "Why is that watermelon there?"

Raiders of the Lost Ark tow scencess one Indiana Jones is out looking for Marion comes to crow of people the separate there is guy dressed in Black swinging a sword, what does Jones do ? Pulls out his gun and shoots the sword guy dead.

They find where the ark is its at the bottom of the temple there are snakes Jones looks in see the the floor. "Snakes why does it it have to be snakes"? Sallah looks down and says
" Asps very dangerous", he looks at Indie "You go first"

From Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy is trying to fix a leaky pipe, Dawn is tell her to cal plumber, buffy truns the wrench bursts the pipes, While the Basement is flooding all around her, says "there all Better" . She should have left that task to a perfessional.:guffaw::rommie:;):LOL:

Raiders of the Lost Ark tow scencess one Indiana Jones is out looking for Marion comes to crow of people the separate there is guy dressed in Black swinging a sword, what does Jones do ? Pulls out his gun and shoots the sword guy dead.

Infamously inspired by the fact that Harrison Ford had a bad case of the splats and needed to get to the loo pretty quick... so what was intended to be a choreographed fight sequence, turns into a very funny ad-libbed exchange.

I'm surprised Lucas didn't retcon that into "Swordman throws a hidden dagger first".

Here are acouple of other funny sequences from the third Indy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF396yO-Fx8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4-j8YuMic&feature=related

Although... a lot of the third film is hilarious.

Infamously inspired by the fact that Harrison Ford had a bad case of the splats and needed to get to the loo pretty quick... so what was intended to be a choreographed fight sequence, turns into a very funny ad-libbed exchange.

There are SEVERAL stories as to why this happened as it did, and I have to admit, Harrison having to go take a shit is a new one on me. No one knows which is really true, if any, as far as I know. The one I heard, most simply, was Harrison Ford just telling Spielberg that "I don't think Indiana Jones would fight this guy in a sword fight, especially given his size and skill with a sword. He has a gun, I think he would just shoot him" and Spielberg loved it.

There are other versions as well...

DS9 Worf wedding the tests for the best man and what poor Julien and Miles have to endure. One of the tests involves ordeal until you get a vision Julian tells Miles "I ahve a vision, Im Going g to kill Worf." Miles agrees with him.
:guffaw:

That was good. :) And they thought they were in for the greatest bachelor party of their lives. And it turned out to be days of self-torture.

They seemed to enjoy their final task in the wedding, though. Rather eager, they were. :klingon:

The Japanese series Ultraman, that one was pure campy fun. It had some of the silliest looking monsters, badly written and badly dubbed. Unintentionally funny, this is one I would not have missed for the world.

Army of Darkness, Ash is running through the Cemetery skeleton arms reach out of the ground and trip Him. Then the scene turns into something out of the three stooges with with ash dodging eye pokes by the bony arms. This movie was psychoticly funny by far the best of the Evil dead movie, I wish Bruce Campbell had done more evil dead movies. the man is laugh out loud funny. I also like his move The man With The Screaming Brain i have yet to see Bubba Hotep, I have heard all kind good things about that one. Movie of that got overlooked was MoonTrap which He costarred with Walter Koenig, it is a gem of a science fiction movie. don't know if its on Dvd, but if it is its fun little movie:guffaw::rommie::LOL::klingon::devil::drool::eek::guffaw::cool::LOL::guffaw::bolian::vulcan::guffaw:

Bruce Campbell can make those cheesy Sci-Fi channel movies watchable. I remember he did one called "alien invasion" or something like that. Watched it only because he was in it, and he made it fun.

What about the trek episode The Trouble with Tribbles, tell me that would not qualify as one of scif's funniest episodes or the Ds9 Trials and Tribulations god both episodes hurt to watch:guffaw::rommie::devil::thumbsup::LOL::drool::guffaw::eek::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back