• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest From JMS

Re: They guessed the acronym.

Yeah, I know the B5 license isn't the same as those other Miniseries, I just meant that I think that to do justice to an ensemble cast, the extra time could be useful.

But I'm cool with a Theatrical Movie, Miniseries, Tv Series, Straight to DVD (another potential "pseudo-mainstream" avenue following the 24 spin off...), aardvarks, hatstands, branded cuttlefish...whatever. If it's B5, I'm in.

:cool:

VB.

Speaking of the car. Can we take a bathroom break now?

[Londo] In ten minutes. [/Londo] :)

Vonbloodbath:
Yeah, I know the B5 license isn't the same as those other Miniseries, I just meant that I think that to do justice to an ensemble cast, the extra time could be useful.

But I'm cool with a Theatrical Movie, Miniseries, Tv Series, Straight to DVD (another potential "pseudo-mainstream" avenue following the 24 spin off...), aardvarks, hatstands, branded cuttlefish...whatever. If it's B5, I'm in.

:cool:

VB.

Ditto man, ditto!

All I'm saying is...if it is indeed a film...and if indeed the speculated title is "The Memory of Shadows," then it stands to reason to me that the story is not about the teep war. If it were, then it would only stand to reason that there would be some reference in the title to telepaths.

You have to sell a film by its title...and that title should give people some clue as to the story...this would include people who aren't necessarily fans or followers.

I don't think so. "Telepaths" means something to us, the fans of the show. To non-fans of the show, it _might_ have some kind of association or resonance, but it won't necessarily be the right one. I mean, it's not as much of an 'in' reference as, say, "Technomage," but it is definitely something that requires an explanation for total clarity. So in fact, I don't think they _would_ put "Telepath" in the title.

Look at all of the words in all of the LotR film titles: none of them need explication. Putting "Telepath" in a film title isn't like putting "Palantir" in a film title, but it might be like putting "Elves" in the title -- some people might not want to see the movie because to them, elves are tiny, whimsical creatures who sometimes make cookies.

Aisling

Ok Joe, I did do my homework. Watch the commentary for the S4 EP "Deconstruction of Falling Stars," specifically the college broadcast on the 100th anniversary of the IA. JMS clearly states there that while we've been told part of the story about David Sheridan, he says he's left it ambigious on purpose...that the keeper incident was what moved him to do what he does later...at which point he says "I didn't tell you then, and I'm not telling you now." There's more to the story. All I'm saying is...we don't know what more and exactly how it fits into circumstances. Nor have we been shown EVERYTHING in relation to the Drakh war which lasted several years and encompassed elements with all the cast, plus Technomages, Shadow Tech, and well, I could go on and on. Guess that was my point....there's so much more story there than in a Teep War (again, don't get upset...I would and will be happy with any story JMS brings us).

And as for the argument that we know how the Drakh conflict ends on Centauri Prime and the Keeper story with David...well we know it from a certain perspective yes...but then again we know EXACTLY how the Teep War ends as well and how Bester meets his end....so don't we know the conlusion to that one even more than we know the many machinations, movements, and events of the Drakh War? We know what happened on Centauri Prime yes, from Vir's perspective, but what was happening from the beginning of Londo's keeper up to then? Well, we know about the Drakh plague, but we also know that wasn't the full thrust of that series arc (it was gong to deal with left over Shadow Tech and the Technomages). We know Centauri and Londo fall and that David gets the keeper and is an instrument of the Drakh for a short time...but what was going on throughtout the IA during the whole time? What were our characters doing? And was there a portion of that whole thing we've not been privy to as yet?

Many possibilities. I'm not saying one idea is better than another...all I'm saying is look at all the many ways JMS can surprise us (which is usually what he does), and inspire us once again with this universe and these characters, who (I don't know about you), I've grown to think of as dear friends (the first time I've ever felt that strongly about fictional characters, by the way -- a testament to the power of JMS' writing and the cast's acting).

That is all...let the pouncing upon me begin anew!

:D

There is another issue, from a studio or network marketing department POV.

Doing the Drahk / Centauri Prime story leaves with relatively few humans on screen. Yes, the Centauri look relatively human. However, there were people who never gave the series a real chance because of "the Bozo hair style on the guy with the Transylvanian accent". So now you are going to center a movie or mini-series around those people and guys in lizard suits? (This is looking at them from marketer / non-SF-fan POV.)

The Telepath War keeps things more centered on humans, which can be an easier sale when trying to break out to a wider audiance.

I'm also looking at the situation from a story/saga standpoint...AGAIN LET ME SAY, I AM HAPPY WITH WHATEVER IT TURNS OUT TO BE...but realize that the TW will not offer much in the way of our major cast returning....it was an EA problem not an IA problem. We wouldn't see Londo or Vir...or any of those characters for that matter...what part would Delenn have in that story...poor Lennier still out there...how did he die/redeem himself? All I'm saying is...we know pretty much the end to all of these...let's stop looking at only the one possibility...when so many lay before us.

Hell, we don't even know what format it is...for all we know it's a new series about something totally fresh...or a mini-series (which I by all means believe is still a viable medium for B5 unlike some of you...it has more of a cult audience than BG did when they made that one and it was taking big risks....a mini series is still a perfectly legitimate option).

Bottom line...Teep War...maybe...but it sure does limit seeing the characters the fans wanna see....would focus around one character that was only a full cast member for two sessions and would have to die at the end of the story (AGAIN DON'T READ ME WRONG A LOVE LYTA...SHE WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS), and doesn't lead into anything bigger to follow.... While it's a great story and might have good crossover...so does a great space epic with great battles and passionate characters that people care about...if it's done well, and in a way that newcomers would know the backstory (I believe someone mentioned the way LOTR: FOTR opened?)...well then...people want an exciting tale with great characters and some great FX too. Think big.

That's all I'm sayin'....but who knows? Only JMS knows...I'm just playin' with the possibilities...Let's not forget...he was about to introduce a new bad guy in LOTR....it could be about that for all we know.... the future is ripe with possibilities!!!!!

B5 Endures!!!

One last little observation...I'm figuring JMS is laughin' his ass off about now :LOL:

That :devil:

"Faith Manages"

realize that the TW will not offer much in the way of our major cast returning....it was an EA problem not an IA problem. We wouldn't see Londo or Vir...or any of those characters for that matter...what part would Delenn have in that story...poor Lennier still out there...how did he die/redeem himself? All I'm saying is...we know pretty much the end to all of these...let's stop looking at only the one possibility...when so many lay before us.

I wouldn't consider the Earth/Minbari War to be a galaxy-wide conflict, but JMS still found ways to work in our favorite characters in "In The Beginning." The Narn and Centauri had very small parts in that war, yet he still found ways to get Londo and G'Kar on screen for a decent amount of time. About the only guys we didn't see were Garibaldi, Marcus, and Lyta - but their stories probably wouldn't have been very interesting at that point anyway. Mike was a soldier who didn't see much action, Marcus was a miner, and Lyta was likely in Psi-Corps training. No big losses there.

Remember that it's JMS's story and he can work in as many of our favorite characters as he wants to - in whatever ways and "chance encounters" he chooses. He could perceivably do a movie about a spoo ranch on Lesser Krindar and still let us see Sheridan, Delenn, and our other fave's. I don't think he'd bind his hands like that in any story he tells in a large format (be it feature film, mini series, or whatever).

Marcus was a miner,

Marcus was drafted into Earthforce, probably as a teenager, and hated every minute of it.

Information from 'To Dream in the City of Sorrows'.

One last little observation...I'm figuring JMS is laughin' his ass off about now :LOL:

It looks like the guy has little to no life. We find joy where we can. I hope that bastard's delirious(?) with joy for what he's putting us through.

-Elle

...but realize that the TW will not offer much in the way of our major cast returning....it was an EA problem not an IA problem.

It is the only major untold story that allows most of the regular cast to return.

1. We know that it wasn't just an EA problem, that the IA intervened before the end.

2. If the war spread beyond Earth-controlled space and both Lyta and Psi Corps are trying to get black-market arms or even official support from aliens there is plenty of scope to involve the Centauri, the Narn and Babylon 5. (Especially since Vir may still have business there from time to time.)

3. JMS has indicated that a Teep War story would include flashbacks to the origins of Human telepaths and other events prior to the war itself, which could also involve additional cast members. Talia Winters might not appear, but one of her ancestors might.

4. We know that Lenier meets his fate during the Telepath War - so you can bet Delenn will also be involved.

P.S.

I think you are totally misreading JMS's commentary track remarks. I think it is perfectly clear that only future story involving David Sheridan that he had in mind was the Keeper and the subsquent events on Centauri Prime in 2278. I am at an absolute loss to understand the seeming obsession some fans have with David. The fact the he's the son of heroes does not necessarily mean he's going to be a hero - or even particularly interesting - himself. Neither the Minbari government nor the IA is an hereditary monarchy. In republics the sons and daughters of the famous and powerful generally don't follow in their parents footsteps. In the history of the U.S. only two sons of presidents have gone on to hold the office themselves. General Douglas MacArthur's son not only didn't follow the family tradition of military service, he had his name legally changed to escape the shadow of his famous grandfather and even more famous father. Theodore Roosevelt's namesake Teddy Jr. turned away from politics and made the army his career, landing at Utah Beach on D-Day and dying of a heart attack a few weeks later.

If JMS keeps this aspect of the show's future history true to the experience of the past, David Sheridan will be a decent, honest man who does his best to serve honorably in the Rangers, but he won't necessarily be a great leader or great hero - in part because the times he lives in might not demand leaders and heroes. What would John Sheridan have been if the Shadows had returned a hundred years later?

Regards,

Joe

To whom are you referring when you say he "has little to no life"? Hopefully not me....and surely not JMS...since he's usually working most hours of any given day... I only wish I could do what he does and make a full living at it.

Oh and I'm just saying he'll tell the story that most maximizes drama, saga, scope and the characters that WB and the fans will expect to see....they're not about to sign on for a film that doesn't revolve around our main people.

Boy you people are hostile and seem to be stuck in Teep mode....I'm only pointing out that there are other stories...why is that bad? And why is no one else thinking of the possibilities?

Maybe because they'll get jumped...like Garibaldi from behind I'm shot by my own people!

Ouch!

Well, we'll see.

All smilings and laughings for me....yes...many grinnings...Zathras knows... :D Great Maker has many surprisings and things. Zathras try to say...but...Zathras never listen.

Ok, Joe

He made the comment on the commentary LONG AFTER the Centauri books were out...why make such a statement? This was only recently may I remind you that he did the commentary on S4. He made a clear point that there was something to David Sheridan we haven't heard and he ain't tellin'.

I could just as well tell you that you seem obsessed with the Telepaths...JMS never locks himself in to one idea and story...you should know that. And he rarely does what people expect him to.

And where did you get that the IA had to step in in the end? Just curious.

And again I ask...why make a film where your main character...Lyta...buys it in the end? And that's kinda anti-climactic since we all know she blows into little Teep pieces in the end. HMMMM...

Anyway, people are to jumpy here.....no wonder he gets so short tempered sometimes dealing with the fans....

Live and learn. :D

To whom are you referring when you say he "has little to no life"? Hopefully not me....and surely not JMS...since he's usually working most hours of any given day...
Actually, I think he was referring JMS because he is usually working most hours of any given day.

Boy you people are hostile and seem to be stuck in Teep mode....I'm only pointing out that there are other stories...why is that bad?
I don't think that the tone has been particularly hostile. It has been pretty much an examination of the likelyhood of a couple different basic story ideas being what would be produced, with stated reasons and lines of reasoning cross-examined and defended.

In my earlier reply I just pointed out one until then unmentioned possible influance on the direction the production might take.

Second, we know (I think) that JMS has already submitted a draft script for said TW movie to Warners, but this was then put on hold partly due to the imminent arrival of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Funny, awhile ago (maybe half a year, maybe a year, I don't remember) I posted a question of this type to JMS's moderated board. Something to the effect of "I heard a rumor at another website that JMS had plans to make a feature film until news of the Star Wars trilogy came out. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this whatsoever?"

Much to my surprise, JMS himself answered. "No."

I never intended the "little to no life" question to seem hostile myself...and I'm in no way hostile. I'm only curious why every other idea is being shot down. I'm not saying it won't be a teep war story...I'm only pointing out my observations based on my knowledge of the industry, etc. I may not be right...I'll be the first to admitt it if I'm not. I have seen two other people lightly attacked for differing views here...not including me. I'm only wondering why no one is looking at all the stories JMS could tell...seems to me everyone is stuck in Teep mode and not willing to think bigger or beyond that...and anyone who does has their theories deconstructed for them. I only return the favor if necessary and as of yet I'm not deconstructing a TW film....it is a viable option...and if anyone could work in the full cast...it's JMS. I'm only saying it doesn't really lend itself to that very well. WB is going to want something with the feel of the series, since that's what's doing so well on DVD.

Just think about it?

"Faith Manages" ;)

Fact is no one knows what JMS had or had not submitted in 1999. What we do know is that as of his last release he stated "Writing on B5:TMoS is complete." That tells me it was something he had to write and given the amount of time he was AWOL....It was a vast undertaking not a punch-up job on a 5 year old screenplay.

I think this is something new...and something big.

Just my feeling.

I think it is perfectly clear that only future story involving David Sheridan that he had in mind was the Keeper and the subsquent events on Centauri Prime in 2278.

I don't think that it's perfectly clear, and I don't understand what your basis for this statement is, Joe. There is no more evidence to support your contention than there is to support the opposite (although I'm sure that if it's out there, you'll find it). Not having heard the S4 commentary myself, I'm now curious to know exactly what JMS did say. It seems to me that if the Great Maker said what Colonyearth purports he did, then (as you have so often pointed out) we should go with it. Maybe there is more to David's story. I don't think the possibility should be dismissed out of hand.

I am at an absolute loss to understand the seeming obsession some fans have with David. The fact the he's the son of heroes does not necessarily mean he's going to be a hero - or even particularly interesting - himself.

True, but again it doesn't preclude the possibility. We just don't know, and it's fun to speculate. I personally think the son of Sheridan and Delenn would be a fascinating character if not a heroic one. As for obsessions, we're all here because we're addicts, right? Is an obsession with the Teep War any more understandable than wanting to know what the next generation of B5 characters might look like? Hell, I've put a couple hundred thousand words into trying to answer that question.

Joe, I've been reading your posts for years now, and I don't think there's a soul on any B5 board you frequent that would hesitate to acknowledge that, outside JMS himself, you are THE technical authority on the show. Sometimes, though, I think you do come down kind of hard on people. I don't think you mean to, but that's the way it comes across to me, at least.

BTW, I'll take anything new in the B5 universe I can get. Even the Teep War.

V/R
John

Speculation speculation. I remember when JMS first time mentioned something about new project, not a week after it, KoshN and few others had all potential channels listed here, whom in theory could air new B5 series. What about calming down.. I know, speculation is fun etc. but everything has its limits, even new B5 project.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back