• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest From JMS

Re: They guessed the acronym.

Yes, your list is the same as mine, with two exceptions:

Mine featured "Terribly Mean of Straczynski" twice. Fitting.
Yours is missing "The Movie Script".

When I sorted it, I removed the duplicate ("Terribly Mean of Straczynski").

Re. "The Movie Script" (in a Friday, January 30, 2004 8:26 AM post), it was in one of the pre-JMS announcement messages that I flagged. However, it contains no "o" ("TMS" not "TMoS"), and so is ineligible.

Actually, I should have deleted the following as well, since they fail the little "o" test. The "o" has to be a preposition, not a adjective, verb or noun.

The Mighty Obvious Script
Theatrical Movie, original Story
Time Makes Our Society
Too Many odd Suggestions
Trans Morphing Optical Stuff
Triluminary-Modified operating System
Twenty Minbari Order Sandwiches

I made my list in response to one I saw on SCIFI.COM...
TMoS: One of these titles is it!
... which was missing "The Memory of Shadows" (which I knew I'd seen before, and is my fave.).

So. What prize does the correct guess get? And who will sic the NBS on JMS?

At best, a quickly killed-off character named after the guesser. :devil:

Actually, we English cricket-loving radio-listening types would be pretty stoked by the prospect of B5:TMS:

BABYLON 5: TEST MATCH SPECIAL

I can't wait

:D :cool: :D

"What's the test match special?" says the TV-watching, baseball-loving American...

There's a minor thing, nothing really important, since I haven't seen anyone asking :p. What IS it anyway? A movie, mini-series or what?

About the project itself, I hope we see something about Crusade.

Weren't supposed to be TWO projects? And what about the quote book?

So many questions... :confused:

I forgot about the quote book. I hope we're still going to get that eventually. It would make posting snappy replies based on B5 quotes a lot easier.

-Elle

Re: They guessed the acronym

Lyta: Yes, he replied to that one, so it's a strong indicator. Except he knows it is. So maybe he would deliberately reply to another. But then again he knows we would think that. And then there's...... :LOL:

I liked many things about B5. One of them is the suspense and the slightly scary stuff. Amplified by streching it over many episodes. Knowing there's something sinister going on back on Earth. Hearing the audio from an experiment where a person goes into an ancient 1km long spaceship.
icon_shocked.gif

I guess in desert areas shadows are a positive thing, but we're used to their negative side.
The Movement of Shadows has this possibly creepy feel to it. The shadows move when you're not looking. (Or, well, the Shadow Movement marches on the Capitol.) :D

With a title like that it should be exciting.
Can you tell that I'm looking forward to this allready?

I haven't read the Centauri and Technomage triologies yet, and then there's the DVDs. I'm not complaining. No need to hurry.
B5 to the people. :cool:

"What's the test match special?" says the TV-watching, baseball-loving American...

Test Match Special is the classic BBC Radio show providing ball-by-ball commentary and analysis (as well as interesting snippets about the weather, cakes, buses ... and any other subject that comes to mind) on England Test matches ...

you know, those cricket matches that last five days and still don't produce a result, as you TV-loving, baseball watching Americans are so fond of pointing out to us.

:LOL:

Don't suppose this is the right time to admit I stayed up until 3:45am our time watching the SuperBowl on Monday morning and still made it to the office by 9 is it?

:p

Lyta: Yes, he replied to that one, so it's a strong indicator. Except he knows it is. So maybe he would deliberately reply to another. But then again he knows we would think that. And then there's......

Iocane powder.

Lidocane powder. And never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line. :)

"What is it?"

He's not telling. He threw out those friggin' initials to start exactly the feeding frenzy we're seeing and distract everybody from what the hell the thing actually is. He does this because he's evil. :D

"Weren't there supposed to be two projects? What about the quotes book?"

JMS mentioned in September that there were two possible projects under discussion, neither of them a TV series and neither of them a book. In December he said that one of them (the one we're talking about) had gone past the "talking" stage to the money and writing stage.

We haven't heard anything further on the quotation book.

And I don't think that the post that JMS replied to is any clue at all to which title is the "winner". 1) He had to reply to some post, and we have no way of knowing which ones had downloaded to him from his news server at the time he posted his message. 2) He would never be that obvious. I'd say that chances are the post he replied to doesn't contain the correct title.

Regards,

Joe

There's a minor thing, nothing really important, since I haven't seen anyone asking . What IS it anyway? A movie, mini-series or what?

This project is indeed one of two JMS has cooking. And, the only thing we know is that it isn't a series. Most people seem to think it's fairly certain that it's either a mini-series or a theatrical film.

Aisling

::prays harder for a theatrical film (preferably the long-awaited Telepath War)::

Joe, wouldn't you rather have a miniseries of the Telepath War than a theatrical film?
Theatrical film = approx. 2 hours
Miniseries = 4 to 6 (or 8 or more) hours.

Aisling

Joe, wouldn't you rather have a miniseries of the Telepath War than a theatrical film?

Firstly, we know as a matter of record that JMS intended the "Telepath War" to be the subject of a theatrical movie rather than a mini-series.

Second, we know (I think) that JMS has already submitted a draft script for said TW movie to Warners, but this was then put on hold partly due to the imminent arrival of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Third, JMS is quoted as saying that he sees a theatrical movie also as a way of saying "Thanks" to the original cast of B5 and allowing them the "big pay day" they never really got as part of the TV show.

Given these factors it seems likely that if this new project is to cover the TW (which many people want) then a theatrical movie is the logical outlet for it.

Fourth, as a medium, a theatrical movie has much greater potential to allow B5 to reach out to non-fans across the globe than a mini-series, which will be tied (at least initially) to a specific TV network in the USA.

And, wouldn't that be grand.

:D

Aisling

In addition to the cogent reasons given by GH, consider this: New Line's success with LotR (distributed by Warner Bros.) and WB's own success with Harry Potter should make them more open to the notion of a somewhat longer theatrical film, as long as the theaters can still get in enough showings on Friday and Saturday nights. A running time of 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours, even closer to 3 hours, should not be out of the question if that's how much time it takes to tell the story.

A "4 hour" "mini-series" is about 2 1/2 hours of actual screen time. And longer "mini-series" are rare in television these days precisely because of the cost. You'll notice that most longer mini-series are either relatively contemporary stories or else they're set in the past. Minis set in space are runinously expensive not only because of SFX but because even most of the clothing and many of the hand props have to be built from scratch. You can do a King Arthur story or WWI or Civil War epic and pull most of what you need out of the studio's own warehouses, or rent or buy it from a dozen places around Hollywood. Battle re-enacters and SCA members can be hired to show up in their own costumes and carrying much more authentic-looking props than anything you could come up with. But you can't call Abby Rents and have then send over a dozen Narn Kha'ri chairs, or fifteen Minbari robes. :)

Even an 8 hour mini would only give us about 5 hours of story, and I'm not sure that the real dramatic meat of a Teep War story would need 5 hours, or benefit from the extra time. A JMS always says, "You have to decide who the story is about." If it is mostly about "our" characters, lots of stuff that takes place during the war is not going to be seen on-screen, just as lots of battles from the Shadow War weren't - because our characters weren't directly involved in them. So while "the war" might conceptually seem like a huge event and a huge story, it really depends on whose eyes it is told through, and what dramatic events JMS chooses to highlight. WWII is a huge event, and there have probably been thousands of dramatic movies, series and TV episodes or projects that have dealt with it, to say nothing of several thousand more documentaries, but very few of the dramas have tried to tackle the whole story of the war. You couldn't possibly track that many characters through that many locations. Even a project as epic as The Winds of War and War & Remembrance only captured a fraction of the events of the war, and entire theaters of operation because there was no plausible way for Wouk to put a character into them. (Not that he didn't get pretty close to the edge on plausibility as it was. :))

I want a big screen film because the cast and crew deserve the big payday that JMS talked about and the exposure it would bring them in that part of the industry the still looks down on television. Because it would say the show had "arrived" in a way that few series ever do. Because it would do more than any cable network TV movie ever could to introduce new fans to the show, and sell even more DVD sets, and because if successful it would do more than anything else to convince Warner Bros. that there is still life in the B5 universe. I'd like nothing more than for the original cast to do three or four theatrical films while another series (perhaps even a clean reboot of Crusade) continued playing in that universe on TV, a la TNG and the TOS films.

Finally I'd like to see a Teep War film because when the project was declared DOA in 1999 I predicted that a really profitable DVD release could revive the project- and I like being proven right. :) Especially since at the time I was told that:

1) TV shows would be too expensive to collect on DVD, and except for Trek and a few shows that had already been successful on VHS, no studio would ever release TV product on the new medium.

2) Such shows as were released would be in the tried-and-true 2-episode, single disc release. No one would ever shell out $100 for a full season of a series.

3) Even in the unlikely event that Warner Bros. released B5 on DVD they would not add any extras.

4) Even if WB released B5 on DVD they would certainly never pay for widescreen transfers or 5.1 sound remixes.

5) Even if WB released B5 on DVD they'd never sell enough to make a profit, and therefore would scrap the release part way through, just like they did with the video tapes.

6) Even if WB somehow did make a profit on B5 DVDs and release the whole series, there was no way a niche show with a fraction of Trek's audience would sell enough to get WB interested in new B5 projects, much less a theatrical film. :)

Regards,

Joe

::prays harder for a theatrical film (preferably the long-awaited Telepath War)::

Aisling
I would actually prefer it to be a theatrical film. Unless it's something with the financial backing of the new Dune or Taken miniseries, we're gonna sets that just look like they were made for TV. I want to finally see B5 on a grand scope, with something more real than plaster walls and paper-maché props.

The Telepath War would be great for a theatrical film -- but I have to wonder just how much exposition a film like this is gonna have to have.

The reality is that Babylon 5 is still of cult status, perceived by many to be a "cheap Star Trek knock-off." Obviously these people are wrong, but they don't know it, because they haven't followed the story. B5's disadvantage is that it is not a household name like Star Wars or Star Trek.

I can always hope for a Telepath War epic done on a scale similar to Lord of the Rings or The Matrix :D ... the longer the epic (whether 3 hours or 3 movies), the more time they have to establish the characters & storylines for newbies.

{snip}
6) Even if WB somehow did make a profit on B5 DVDs and release the whole series, there was no way a niche show with a fraction of Trek's audience would sell enough to get WB interested in new B5 projects, much less a theatrical film. :)

Regards,

Joe
I love it when a plan comes together. :LOL:

The Telepath War would be great for a theatrical film -- but I have to wonder just how much exposition a film like this is gonna have to have.

I suspect a lot less time than people fear. I see X-Men as a parallel. The comic book is around 40 years old, there's tons of history and backstory, but the essentials, for anyone who has never cracked a comic book, is that there are normals and mutants and a history of tension between them. In fact, the Lyta's Rogues vs. Bester's Psi Corps has obvious parallels to to the Good vs. Evil mutants story, and will be very easy for most people to grasp. The Vorlon and Shadow influences, and even that we fought a war that ended up expelling them, shouldn't take too much screen time to deal with - because they don't have to retell the story, just lay out the basic facts.

Star Trek didn't explain where Starfleet or the Federation came from in the first episode, after all. It just presented them as facts analogous to our own Navy and our own government, and moved on from there. A Teep War film would introduce the IA as a kind of Super-UN, Earth as a member, briefly explain that the IA is the first attempt by the younger races in our galaxy to govern themselves after older, more powerful races which had started out guiding, but ended up trying to control them, were finally made to leave. The telepaths are one of the legacies of that attempt at control, the Psi Corps was Earth's mechanism to control the teeps and protect normals, but now the cure has become worse than the disease and something has to give. Boom! We're off to the races.

The hardcore fans will already know the background, the new audience only has to told enough about what went before to understand the story in the movie itself. Setting aside actual changes and just considering things omitted, the two parts of the audience would be like a LotR audience where some have read the books and others have only seen the films. The former will have a somewhat richer experience because they'll recognize subtle nuances in the story-telling (like the looks exchanged between Eowyn and Faramir at Aragorn's coronation) while the film-only crowd will still enjoy the film and be able to follow it because everything essential to the story is right there on screen.

Like I said, I think the backstory is less of a problem than many people assume. To return to LotR again, how much of the story of the Second Age and Isildur do we get in the films as compared to the books? How much do we really need to understand that (a) the Ring is important, (b) its influence corrupts and (c) Sauron must be kept from getting it?

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back