• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest From JMS

Re: They guessed the acronym.

As with most of you...you will simply think as you will...and such is your right. Watch the commentary with an open mind however, and you'll clearly get that David does in fact have a part in the B5 universe other than the keeper incident. But, everyone here simply wishes to close their minds to the imaginative wonders that are there.

Have it your way...I'm sorry.

Sad that such happenings...well happen. tch tch thc....poor people....no one listen.

As I have said here in this thread already, frankly I don't care what is coming as long as it is good (and as long as we get it in the UK of course, which is another matter entirely).

I haven't heard the commentary on S4 yet, but what I have read here, certainly indicates there is more to it than what we see in LoF. If so, it would be great to see that.

However (again a point I made earlier), I find it difficult, if not impossible, to see how the telling of that story, which is set (necessarily) a decade and a half after S5, would/could involve the majority of the main cast of the original B5 series.

Given the problems with Crusade and LotR, I just can't see WB signing off on a brand new, new cast, B5 spin-off. If the success of the DVDs has driven this new project, I feel certain (although open to correction as always) that WB will be looking for something original cast oriented - perhaps offering JMS the opportunity to give the cast the "big payday" he has always wanted to.

JMS may have shown us time and again that he is ready willing and able to surprise us, but the fact is that if WB want an original cast project then that is what JMS will have to give them, or it just won't happen.

Plus, it is no wonder that the speculation around here has centered on the Teep War, given that JMS has been quoted on more than one occasion (no specific reference to hand, but I'm sure someone can deliver that) as saying that he has deliberately skirted around/left alone the time period covering the TW in putting together Crusade and LotR, as he had specific plans for how that story would be told.

The desire of the fans to see this story has been around for several years now, fuelled in part by the aforementioned "skirting around", and (again bearing in mind the perceived failures of Crusade and LotR) I would guess that this is probably a final chance for the B5 "franchise" to be re-awakened.

Another "failure" would surely see any hope of new projects disappear for good.

In that context, those fans who desperately want to see the story of the TW told want to see it told now, otherwise they may never get the chance to see it.

Just my $0.02. As I say, I am just grateful for new B5, whatever shape it might come in.

Cheers,

To reply to these elements...first of all yes it's clear there is more to David...I, myself, reminded everyone though that I or no one else was saying that this new project would be about David inparticular...all I said was that it could lead into that element of the B5 universe.

Secondly...David is 5 yrs old in what time period? You don't know, nor do I when this new project is set to take place in the timeline...we know David was 16 when he got the keeper and Sheridan was still very much alive...you're under the assumption that this new project is a TW film...never assume.

And as for the mag. stories...while JMS may consider them cannon...they're read by only the comic/devout readers. While I've read the books, I don't run out and pick up all the magazines for the short stories and such. If that element is included in a film/mini-series/tv movie, JMS will of course have to lay on a great deal of exposition for this, adding more burden considering he'll probably have to give some fair amount in any given story, depending on the medium this new project is in. If it's film...he'll have to bring any new audience up to speed, so to speak. I wouldn't think he would go all that way to only add more little details from short stories. Besides, it was JMS who said that that was Lyta who died in Crusade....look it up.

Whatever elements might have come later...not so sure he'll try to work around...at least not in this project.

DaveC,

I too am very glad to know that there is more. I'm simply not willing to let my mind rest on only one possibility. I don't work that way. I want to see the TW as much as anyone. But I can tell from things JMS has said, as well as other moments in B5, Crusade, LoTR that there is much more story going on than what we've been told, and what might have been written about in the novels. And I never, ever underestimate JMS and his capacity to go in the opposite direction he's expected to go in.

Yes, years ago he skirted the TW, and probably did it for good reason. And back then he hinted at those reasons. But that was then, this is now...and we don't know what WB has asked for. He constantly changed his mind and evolved that B5 arc over the 5 years it ran...for practical reasons and for story reasons. He would be the first to say...that while I might have wanted this story or that element to be the next big thing then, I've decided now that this element or the next story in the timeline is more important to tell, at least for now.

Remember, I'm thinking about this from a different perspective than the rest of you. I see things from an industry angle...If I were WB, I wouldn't do the TW...I'd want bigger and more bang, and something that deeply involved all of the original characters...and while Lyta was there for two seasons...she wasn't a main character throughout the series...main characters for WB are Sheridan, Delenn, Marcus, Garibaldi, even Ivanova...Vir, Lennier (let us see what happened to him -- pay off that moment of redemption), Londo, G'kar. Those are your main cast...that is what WB will want to see...if this is a feature film. And they'll want big...I mean big.

I don't care what it is...I'm only looking beyond one little story element and thinking like a filmmaker. What's the bigger story? The one that could lead into a trilogy or a series of films...one story leading into the next? Starting with the TW limits it too much in my opinion.

But again let me say...I don't care...I'm elated that there's more to come! And if I'm wrong...I'll gladly come here and eat my own words and then join in everyone's speculation on, not what the story is, but how do we think he'll tell it.

It's all in fun folks...and we're the biggest butt of JMS's joke...he's the one laughing the loudest right now... you gotta love him!

:LOL:

DaveC,

I agree with you that this is the make-or-break project for B5's franchise, and agree that JMS is smart enough to realize that and so bring to the table his biggest and best story... one that has been percolating in the back of his mind for a long time... one the fans are sure to go nuts over... and that this means the TeepWar or something very much like it (expanded, perhaps, using some of his unrealized ideas for Crusade).

I have outlined earlier some ideas on how this might work. The key thing, though, is that this has got to be a big success, and JMS knows it. There is every possibility that we simply don't have the faintest clue as to what JMS has in mind, and that in a week or so we will all go "of course! I should have seen that!" But if we DO have a clue, then my money is on the TeepWar with some extension that brings in the IA (and the rest of the main charactors, since Lyta, G'Kar, and Giribaldi are already heavily invested). Because, quite frankly, it offers the fans the biggest "wow" factor of anything I can see, and the fan "wow factor" (read word of mouth) is what is gonna make this or break this.

Remember, I'm thinking about this from a different perspective than the rest of you. I see things from an industry angle...If I were WB, I wouldn't do the TW...I'd want bigger and more bang, and something that deeply involved all of the original characters...and while Lyta was there for two seasons...she wasn't a main character throughout the series...main characters for WB are Sheridan, Delenn, Marcus, Garibaldi, even Ivanova...Vir, Lennier (let us see what happened to him -- pay off that moment of redemption), Londo, G'kar. Those are your main cast...that is what WB will want to see...if this is a feature film. And they'll want big...I mean big.

Colonyearth,

I just wanted to jump in here with a couple of things.

First of all, you're not the only person on these boards who is in (or has been in) the industry, or has been close enough to the industry to have a learned perspective on these matters.

Next, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're dead wrong that a Teep War film would only include Lyta. There is room for _much_ of the cast in a Teep War film. I'm not going to cite chapter and verse on this as I believe it's been done on these boards and elsewhere, to death. What I can glean from your thinking on this is that you either don't know the series very well, or you aren't very imaginative. Or, you don't trust JMS to know what he's doing!

And lastly, I know you didn't mention it in this post, but I finally managed to get the quote I was looking for on the whole David Sheridan story angle (thanks to Jan from the moderated ng for her tireless research!). Here it is:

" >>When Babylon 5 was finished, there were many plot threads left hanging - some of them major ones. For example - David Sheridan's fate <<

That will be covered in one of the Centauri novels being written by Peter David."

That's a quote from JMS himself, dated 2/1/2000. And, since that novel has been written, the story of David Sheridan has been....covered.

Aisling

and while Lyta was there for two seasons...she wasn't a main character throughout the series...main characters for WB are Sheridan, Delenn, Marcus, Garibaldi, even Ivanova...Vir, Lennier (let us see what happened to him -- pay off that moment of redemption)

The teep war story would involve all of the characters you just named except for Marcus, who is a Rangersicle. I will not bother explaining again why this is the case, you can go back and actually read some of the earlier posts if you'd like to learn. But I do feel the need to mention one thing since you obviously aren't aware of it despite your "in depth" knowledge of B5 and insight into JMS's thought process: Lenier dies DURING the Telepath War! So if you really want to see his final chance for redemption you'd better hope that you're wrong and some of the rest of us are right.

Two other points:

1) No one was suggesting that no other story was possible. You listed a number of reasons (most of them factually wrong) why the Teep War wouldn't or couldn't make a good story. Some of us tried to correct you and suggest reasons why it could work. No one was thinking "inside a box" or otherwise exhibiting any mental limitations that superior minds such as your own have avoided.

2) Why is it that when you disagree with us you're simply discussing the possibilities, but when we disagree with you we're "attacking" you. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Regards,

Joe

JMS says, and I quote:

"....His son did something radical...something disturbing. Because he's Sheridan and Delenn's son...what else are you going to expect?...

...And that led to the much larger events that transformed his...ah...life and his part of the Interstellar Alliance."

These lines make it seem unequivocal, to me at least, that there certainly IS more to David's story than has been told. I am far from convinced that the teep war is the subject of the new project, although that is certainly a reasonable guess. The Drakh War seems a reasonable guess as well. But if it IS David Sheridan's story, all of our favorite cast members who remain alive when David is a young adult would have to be made up to look somewhat older! That fact alone makes me think it an unlikely choice.

I agree that any theatrical film would be designed to generate at least a sequel or two. Also, I am sure that JMS's fertile and creative imagination is well able to come up with a broader range of stories than the few we have discussed here. But I, too, am intrigued by JMS's statement that a TV project or a movie wouldn't be "too far" off the mark. That does seem to me to indicate that it IS something different from those. He's also said that it isn't a print project. The only other thing I can think of, besides direct to video, which most of us think unlikely, is a PLAY! So, are we going to see B5 TMoS on Broadway? :eek: :p :eek: :D

Remember, I'm thinking about this from a different perspective than the rest of you. I see things from an industry angle.

I'd sure be interested to know what films you have worked on. There is a world of difference between low-budget indie movies and big-budget feature films. Which is it?

Is this your company's wesbite? SP Pictures

It makes me think that maybe your "industry angle" is considerably different to WB's (and jms's). In which case, your speculation is no more valid than "the rest of us".

...And that led to the much larger events that transformed his...ah...life and his part of the Interstellar Alliance."

David Sheridan's trip leads to the discovery of the Drakh on Centauri Prime, the deaths of Londo and G'Kar, the Interstellar Alliance's involvement in the liberation of the Centauri People, Vir's ascension to the throne, the Drakh War (which seems to be mostly a "mopping up" expedition and largely conducted by the Centauri themselves with some IA assistance) and the restoration of the Centauri to their rightful place in the Alliance. It also led to his being freed from his Keeper, which certainly "changed his life". So I'd say that David's journey to C-Prime and its immediate and long-term consquences match JMS's statement perfectly even if David never does a single other interesting thing for the rest of his life. And that therefore there is no reason to assume that he did, or to read JMS's statement as "definitely" or "obviously" saying more.

JMS's comments were verbal and off-the-cuff, so it is fruitless to apply the kind of syllable-by-syllable analysis to them that a written text might merit, and he was being deliberately ambiguous so as not to give away too much to the folks he presumed were listening. I'm thinking in particular of the "his part of the Alliance" remark which I just know somebody is going to point to as having some cosmic importance and which I believe was merely JMS trying to say enough without saying too much.

Regards,

Joe

You may be right, and as I said in my previous post, I don't think that the story of David is what we're going to get. But on the otherhand, I think that it would be foolish to rule something out just because it HAS been in a book. After all, books are OFTEN the basis for movies. I realize that JMS didn't write the books in question, and that would complicate things, but not make it impossible. I guess I'm just taking more of a wait-and-see attitude, rather than the wade-in-sea attitude of most. ;)

After all, books are OFTEN the basis for movies

But books based on movies or TV shows are almost never the basis for movies. :) Look, JMS wrote the outlines for the three Del Rey trilogies at a time when he was working on Crusade, S5 was approaching its end with good ratings on TNT, the first TV movies had done well and more were in the pipeline and Warner Bros. was asking for a feature film treatment. In other words, he planned the trilogies at the time when it most looked like B5 could develop into the kind of "franchise" that he could live with - a universe where he could tell more stories while still maintaining control. A time when he knew he had a new series deal in hand (and had every reason to be optimistic that it would do well, based on B5 S5's ratings and his then-excellent working relationship with TNT) and very good prospects for a movie deal and perhaps a (Trek-like) series of movies with the original cast while Crusade continued on the small screen.

And yet, at the apex of B5's fortunes, he chose to tell the Telepath, Technomage and Centauri stories as novels. He did so because he saw then as being mostly backstory (Teep, Technomage), dealing with "side issues" that weren't part of the main story (of the Younger Races taking control of their own destiny - Teep, Centauri) or too sprawling, too expensive and too populated by strange and alien characters to work as TV movies or feature films (Centauri). In short he made them books because they couldn't be movies. Why would he now try to make them into movies? (Which would necessarily mean cutting much of the background material that made them worth doing in the first place?)

I'm also taking a "wait and see" approach. But since the point of this thread is to play "guess what it could be" I have also pointed out reasons why I think some stories are unlikely for the current project, or unlikely ever to be told under any circumstances, and to respond when others rule out stories that I think possible. (Especially when they do so on the basis of what I think insufficient or incorrect "evidence.")

Hey, we've got to do something while we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. Once it does, of course, we can get onto the serious business of guessing what the exact plot will be, which cast members will be returning (if that isn't announced early), etc., etc., etc.

:)

Joe

OK....guess it's beat up on the new guy, and belittle his filmmaking experience (yes, that's my website, and yes, I'm an indie filmmaker...does that make me ignorant?) Your comments were WAY out of line! I'm insulted and angry....you took a simple discussion about the prospects of what this project may be and turned it into an assault.

I have NEVER said it will not be TW story! I've simply said I find it to be unlikely that it is, or at the least it will only be a portion of what JMS has in mind.

And yet, in my attempts to look at many other story ideas (YES I have watched the series many times over, and read the books and many -- though perhaps not all of JMS's posts -- I do have a life...it involves working and creating my own ideas), I have been repeatedly attacked and now called stupid and unimaginative! Actually, I'd throw that back on you...since I seem to be able to see a great many more stories in the B5 universe than any of you...since you're all stuck in Telepath mania! I LOVE Lyta....I love the idea of a TW story...I simply do not think it will be that...just my opinion...due to many reasons.

As for being uninformed...and not confident in JMS, I don't know where you get that from, since I've said again and again that I have complete confidence in JMS...it's his fans I'm now loosing confidence in.

All I ever did was throw out some different perscpective here...and none of you ever seem to see in my postings anything but what you want to see to further your antagonism toward me.

Personal attacks???!!!! I now ask the moderator to please tell these folks to stop this and call for an apology...I never attacked anyone...and I never made it personal...and I've even agreed with Joe on some things.

Where did this disdain for me come from? Because I dared to dissent? God forbid someone come on here with an individual perspective...!

I'm so sorry I offended you all with my thoughts and imaginings....sorry I seem to be able to think in different directions...and I'm sorry if I inferred that others out there knew nothing of film...

I may be an indie filmmaker...but that doesn't mean I'm less than the Hollywood system, and to suggest that is an insult to all indie filmmakers in the world! It is also an insult to my intelligence and ability to know the Hollywood system and have a sense of what a studio would want or a writer/creator like JMS might do with any given moment in the B5 universe.

I was having fun playing with ideas and sparing back and forth...but you guys just threw a personal punch...and Joe, you're a moderator on this site...you should know better.

Does anyone READ what I say?! This whole David thing is STILL going on and yet I've explained my thoughts on that soooooo many times, I'm tired of repeating myself -- on that and other issues. It seems you read what I say, but you don't understand what I'm saying. Am I not making myself clear enough?

I have many reasons to think that if this is a feature film...it will not be a TW film. Some I've not even expressed yet for various reasons. But I'm tired of this. I throw out an idea and I'm instantly attacked. Playing with the possibilities is one thing...but this is no longer that...this is nasty and vicious. Maybe I'll go elsewhere, where people aren't so rude.

Good day.

And by the way, indie filmmaking is just as hard, if not harder than Studio work...since you have little to no money...it usually comes from your own pocket and requires a great deal of sacrifice, not to mention volunteers and understanding that the people working for you are doing it because they want to...but also that they have other commitments as do you as a filmmaker....I work for FOX full time...I'm an indie filmmaker the rest of the time.

DO NOT EVER BELITTLE ME OR MY CRAFT AGAIN!!! YOU DO NOT KNOW ME!

Again, Good day!

Couple of final points...

First of all the quote from JMS on David is dated 2000, the commentary was recorded last year. I'm not saying there IS more to David, I'm saying there are possibilities...and we simply don't know...but I was having fun with those possibilities...not as a central story, but something to build towards.

I never said that a TW film would only be about Lyta. I said, it does't lend itself easily to bringing in the full cast in a big way...and you'd be telling a story that basically ends with Lyta as a suicide bomber (at least if we are to believe JMS that that was Lyta in Crusade and that she basically blew herself up). That's not a good topic right now...having your hero blow herself up in a terrorist act. I just don't see WB jumping on that one. Too much chance to honk people off.

Lastly...my inclusion of Marcus in the full cast listing was a brain fart...forgive me...I was thinking of Franklin at the time...and since that actor played a character named Dr. Marcus years ago on Days of our Lives when my roommate watched it religiously and got me hooked on it (I know, it's not something I boast about, but Mr. Biggs, no offense if you see this..you were terrific on Days, and fabulous on B5!)...got off track there...anyway you can hopefully see that skip my mind made whilst typing speedily. My apologies.

And again....I'm a huge B5 fan...but I'm not a Trekkie style geek...I don't read the tech manuals and such...The series moved me more than any other series had moved me prior to it. My respect for and faith in JMS is more than I can put into words. Don't underestimate me...and do not underestimate JMS.

Until now, no one was attacking me Joe, except for you...on this occasion and one other one. I respect your opinion...and if I'm sooooo wrong...and you're the one "in the know" that has the great insight into JMS' thought processes (I never said I did -- that was you who insinuated that one), then tell me if I've missed a fact or been slightly off...don't ram it down my throat like you do. And you can tell me something all you want...but you've yet to tell me where you get that Lennier died during the TW. If I've missed this fact somewhere...please enlighten me as to where I might find it...don't keep yelling the fact at me...give me the source for the fact.

My details come from the series... and the trilogies...and from some but by no means all of JMS's postings...beyond that, I might have missed a fact or two...please tell me so if I'm mistaken...but as a gentleman you could correct me in kindness.

I wasn't angry until today...now I'm pissed and insulted. I won't lie about that. You claim I've been short and yet repeatedly I've acknowledged your view as possible...have you ever done the same in return? And you say that when I speak it's about possibilies and you're always attacking...well, someone else on this thread did point out that you tend to attack. It's how you come across, Joe...sorry. But anytime I've perceived myself, or been perceived by any of you as being harsh, I've tried to back up and state that I'm not angry or disrecpectful of the TW viewpoint...and again I say...with the exception of those who've insulted me now...I'm sorry if I've ever come across rude to any of you...I was after all only trying to look at more than one idea at a time.

As for those who insulted me personally? I can forgive, but I never forget.

Cliques aren't pretty, but cliques within cliques?...They're just downright ugly.

We're all fans here folks...we all want to see B5 succeed...and I believe it will simply because the fans want it to...they'll go see this film, or watch it on TV in droves to make sure that the B5 universe continues...and endures. I do have faith in JMS, and in the fans. But petty squabbling does't help. I respect your views and have thought through the TW idea many times and where JMS might go with it. But I simply haven't restricted my thoughts to that and have discovered many other, perhaps bigger threads out there that in my humble opinion could very well make a fantastic trilogy of films, leading on to whatever may come next. I tend to look at the really big picture and the big stories...it's what I was saying about my perspective...I look at things as a director and a writer...I see the big picture...and it's quite annoying sometimes, believe me. I don't and have never discounted the possibility of the TW story...but I do see a much greater story, with the original cast, looming in the shadows!

Look closely...it's there.

Peace.

*moderator hears call for help, flitters down in cloud of pixie dust in the guise of a deus ex machina.*

I have re-read the column, taken notes, and have a pretty good idea who's at fault. But it's not my place to pass judgement, nor is it my place to enforce apologies. In the immortal words of Dr. McCoy, "I'm a moderator, not a babysitter."

That said, let's get back to the situation at hand. I do think you guys should put your hackles down, maybe apologize a little bit, maybe try to actually understand each other, because I'm not sure that's happening.

What I see is a huge chasm -- a disconnect -- between what both of you think the other party is saying, and the way you all present yourselves on the site. I don't think Joe was out to belittle your craft, Tony, and Joe, I don't think Tony was really out to say that his way was the only way.

At B5TV we have a lot of people who disagree with each other and make no bones about it. People who have been on this board for a long time know about it and deal with it in their own ways. We also have a lot of people who hold B5 close to their hearts, a lot of people who are really passionate about it -- and, well, with passion comes misunderstanding. It isn't all happy fun and flowers here, but we don't have trolls and we DO have some of the more intelligent banter out there.

It just -- and this goes for everyone -- goes down the toilet when people bring their PERSONAL things into the discussion. This happened here, and I'm honestly kind of sick of seeing it happen, because it doesn't need to. People assume that one person is saying something that they didn't say, and vice versa, and it just goes downhill from there.

Ok. I've done indie theater before. I can see how someone could know a little better than your average Jane about where someone needs to spend money and what needs to get done to make a saleable film. I can also see how the other side thinks; i.e., because you're indie you operate on a whole different dealmaking system than JMS and Warner Brothers would, and therefore you might not know more than the rest of us. It's not a criticism or a bad thing, it just IS. For example, I know more than my friend Roger about how to "put on a show" locally, but I'm just as clueless as him when it comes to Broadway.

I am also a journalist working for a tiny tiny local paper. Although I know a little bit more about how a newspaper works, I couldn't speak for the New York Times. I hope that clears things up a bit.

So, um, the point of this rambling entry is... we're all adults here. All of you, stop assuming and start actually talking.

Another thing, and this is off-topic, I don't get is the JMS language. I've seen things like "JMS always... and JMS does... and JMS thinks like... JMS is... trust JMS... I have complete confidence in JMS." It's like you're reading his mind, and I'm sure none of you have that ability. Do we know he has little to no life and that he writes all the time? That's what he SAYS, on the INTERNET, at CONVENTIONS. Do we really know? I trust that he does, but I don't think we should be making statements that canonical about him.

I had complete confidence in JMS when Rangers came out, and I ended up being razzed for weeks by the people I invited to see it... so maybe... um... that's just me. :)

Thank you,

Channe

I'm also taking a "wait and see" approach. But since the point of this thread is to play "guess what it could be" I have also pointed out reasons why I think some stories are unlikely for the current project, or unlikely ever to be told under any circumstances, and to respond when others rule out stories that I think possible. (Especially when they do so on the basis of what I think insufficient or incorrect "evidence.")

I do not ever recall ruling out your ideas...that was you doing that. Even if I take what you're saying here at face value for what you're doing...then I am simply doing the same thing...only, again, I've never ruled out your possibilities...I've simply pointed out some reasons why it may not be that possibility. If it is...GREAT! But you're insinuating here that you've proposed other ideas beyond a TW story...you haven't...that's not looking at possibilities...you're only looking at one. I was holding onto that one...then looking beyond to what else might be. And there, using this imagination that I'm apparently lacking in some way, I was able to see a vast tale yet to be told, and up til now only hinted at. While certain parts have been revealed (as with the TW), not all of it has. It is a wait and see game...it's fun...but please, no more personal slams on me or my work...I've never done that...I expect better from people who've been moved by JMS's words.

Have you learned nothing from him?

Peace.

It seems you read what I say, but you don't understand what I'm saying.

Right back at ya. ;)

Not an attack, just an opinion from what I have read of the discussion in this thread.

-Haze

Recoil wrote:
What the hell is indie theater?

Perhaps something not quite amateur... but not massively business-oriented either? Something in between?

colonyearth wrote:
Remember, I'm thinking about this from a different perspective than the rest of you.

You just discovered a remarkably direct, efficient and reliable way... to abandon objectivity and dive into personal debate.

Not that I would need any instruction in performing said maneuver... I know other ways to accomplish it. But it always helps to note how others do it.

no more personal slams on me or my work

I don't think that was anyone's intention. And I'm sure that you're a very talented guy.

But to state that you understand WB better than the rest of us is like saying that an astronaut understands God better than a road sweeper. I just don't see it.

No offence meant.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back