• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS blooper on commentary for Chrysalis

I'd ordered it awhile ago, and it arrived in the mail today. I didn't feel like watching tv after the evening news, though. It'll probably wait until Thursday or Friday.

I'm interested to see how I like it, too. Then it goes out on the "loan" circuit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have to agree with Joe, crap sequals don't ruin the original, just my opinion of those responsible for said crap sequals.

As to JMS bloopers. JMS is the creator of Babylon 5, not a fan. Now that the show is long over, do you think he pours over every episode, memorizing every detail? Not a chance. Writing is his career. He's on to Jeremiah and many other projects. Expecting him to memorize every detail of everything he's written and never even so much as cross up some character's name is simply unrealistic. Ask me to describe in detail something I made at work eight years ago and I'll be capable of doing little more than stare at you blankly. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hell, my mother referres to me by my brother's name at least once a week and she put considerably more work into making us than JMS did B5.

Sequels don't always ruin things. SW is case in point. *tries to wrench the conversation back to B5, if not actually the topic* I'd worry more about getting spoiled by the best sci-fi ever. It's sort of happened to me.

I actually found out something interesting today. 2010 (speaking of crappy sequels) was on HBO so I had it in the background while writing some code.

Needing a break from the code, I checked out the IMDB pages for 2010 and then, 2001. Did you know that the blue spacesuit used in "Babylon Squared" and "WWE1&2" was the same blue space suit (the only one that wasn't used) in 2001? I thought that was pretty cool.

I knew the omega-class destroyers were based on the russian ship in 2010, but never about the space suit.

-Tim

According to JMS the suit used in "Babylon Squared" and "WWE" was from 2010. The 2001 suits no longer existed, and had to be recreated from scratch for the sequel. Warner Bros. rented the blue suit from MGM, because there was no point in their building a spacesuit from scratch that would only be used once or twice. They tried to modify it a little, to make it less obvious, but the suit pretty much remained what it was, and completely recognizable to anyone who had seen the earlier films.

Regards,

Joe

I hooked up my DVD player today, and looked at my B5 season 1 DVD's (which arrived very quickly, I must say, thanks amazon.com /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

The DVD's were not scratched. But I noticed they are also not numbered. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I have to keep them in order or write a little number on the label myself? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This lack of order smacks of shadow influence to me.
(*looks around in a paranoid fashion*)

They are numbered. The numbers are in the artwork near the top of each disc. Because of the color scheme they are easy to miss at first, but once you realize what they are they are quite easy to pick out.

Regards,

Joe

Hmm, I'll look again. Thanks, Joe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was ready to get out my big, black pen. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I was ready to get out my big, black pen.

I was going to ask whether that was your exam marking/failing pen, but then I realised it would be red... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aw, hell. Now that you pointed it out to me, Joe D, I can see immediately the disk numbers.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks, I'm glad you saved me from the "big black pen" fate.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was more interested in looking at the disks for scratches. I am one of the lucky ones: no scratches at all, and I looked at all the disks in season 1. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Maybe there weren't as many bad copies as originally thought. Or they've replaced them already, I don't know.

I was going to ask whether that was your exam marking/failing pen, but then I realised it would be red...

This might shock you, but I grade in blue ink. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I use "Dr. Grip" pens. It helps alleviate my arthritis or whatever problem I have when I'm writing too much. It costs more for me to get red ink, and the college will not reimburse me.

So, I grade in blue ink. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Not that this makes the scores any better... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The general consensus is that it is superior to Episode 1,

There it is. The very definition of damning with faint praise. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I didn't even bother with Ep 2 after the wooden Phantom Menace. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I hate splinters...

Ro

Yea, that would be nice. They could put a list of episodes under the art on the disk. Ah, well.

The case stinks, by the way. Three times I had to pick up disks that had slipped out of their storage case and fallen onto the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I have been. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The odd thing is that this has not happened with any of my movie CD's. They snap open and then the disk has to be pulled up a little bit before it's free. Much better, IMHO.

Now everytime I go for the B5 CD's I'll have to treat the case like very cautiously.

I'm hoping I don't notice the "pops" and lines and other things people have complained about.

It kind of sounds as if WB did a cheap job with B5 season 1. I hope to watch episode 1 today. I'll see, I guess.

Exactly. Treat the B5 DVDs like they could fall off the hubs if the hubs are ever pointed downward. Treat the "book of DVDs" like you're handling Nitro. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I prefer the B5 Season 1 (Region 1) hubs to the Buffy Season 2 (Region 1) hubs, because the latter hold the discs like they're superglued there.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif B5 disks slide out, but Buffy Season 2 tapes make you snap them in half to get them out? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I just wonder why the makers of the cases for "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita" seemed to do a better job. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The movie DVD cases (and hubs) are in my limited experience generally far better, at least the amaray and alpha cases. The jewel cases and digipack-type cases (like CD-cases, with the clear hard plastic hubs) is when it may get tricky - and most boxed sets seem to use that kind of hub system.

I finished Buffy's season 1 yesterday and will probably start on season 2 today... I'll see if I have as many problems with the discs as KoshN did. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Region 1 as well.)

Back