• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS blooper on commentary for Chrysalis

Sinclair

As I'm watching Chrysalis with the commentary (at the 23:46 mark) JMS talks about what an important character Vice President Santiago is going to be what with his involvement with the Shadows. You'd think that he would be able to tell the difference between Santiago and Clark. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, noticed that one. That would mean that he's only human afterall... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...nah, must be part of some cunning plan.

Either it was a mistake, or... or... or Santiago actually faked his own death, had Clark killed, had plastic surgery to make himself look like Clark and then tried to take over the world *and* keep his own record clean!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And it was all supposed to be a secret until JMS inadvertently blurted it out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hmm. No "Trek" reasoning, please.

I just want to know what he says when someone inevitably points this out to him. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well, on the "Signs and Portents" commentary he refers to Corwin later developing a crush on "Commander" Lochley. Obviously a mistake, but I'm not sure if he meant to say Captain Lochley or Commander Ivanova. (Although Corwin begins to think that Ivanova has a crush on him when she approaches him about joining the conspiracy, it is not clear that he's interested in her. OTOH there are subtle things in his S5 peformance that suggest he might think Lochley is hot.)

BTW, how many times has everybody here typed "Sheridan" instead of "Sinclair" or "Talia" in place of "Lyta" (or vice versa in either case)? Besides, JMS is getting old. And you know what they say. The first thing to go is the ....

The first thing to go... Wait a second.

The first thing...

Oh, never mind. You know what I mean. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

It's scary when we remember his show better than he does. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's also odd that nobody caught the mistakes.

And you know what they say. The first thing to go is the ....

The first thing to go... Wait a second.

The first thing...

Oh, never mind. You know what I mean.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yea. But I still want to know what he says when this is pointed out to him. He's not always a happy-go-lucky person when this kind of flaw is pointed out.

I just hope they get around to a season 2 DVD set. Then 3-5. I invested a lot of money in a DVD player mostly for the B5 benefits. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Why should I care if a little detail here or there is a bit off? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What can we say then? Errare humanum est. Nobody's perfect. I mean that's kinda flaw that anybody could say.. And to us B5 fanatics it isn't loss or something. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by hypatia: </font color>
Why should I care if a little detail here or there is a bit off? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

To new fans or fans of other shows (like Trek), this may look like even he can't keep his own series straight, and/or it may indicate a lack of care on his part, and if he doesn't care, why should they?

To me this was a QA issue, and it should have been caught (along with the film dust and scratches QA issue). At least the worst of the dust and scratches should have been touched up.

To new fans or fans of other shows (like Trek), this may look like even he can't keep his own series straight, and/or it may indicate a lack of care on his part, and if he doesn't care, why should they?

Right. It certainly wouldn't sound like somebody who mixed-up a name in what amounts to casual conversation. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Besides, how would these "new fans" know that these were mistakes, since none of the things he alludes to even happen during the first season? By the time they realize that there is a "problem" they'll have seen enough of the series to know that he "cares". (Not that this is an issue in any case. If I like a show I like the show. It matters to me not one whit if the creator cared about it, was indifferent to it or came to actively hate it. What does that have to do with my reaction to the finished work?)

Regards,

Joe

OTOH there are subtle things in his S5 peformance that suggest he might think Lochley is hot

Yeah, like that he's a guy.

I'd rather have JMS make some silly mistakes and to have a natural, easy-going commentary then for it to be all formal and boring. Folks, there is nothing worse than a boring commentary.

Indeed... I mean.. it's nice to know that JMS is having normal life also. And Gkarseye, you're right... boring commentaries, or "they threatened my family if I don't do this commentary" are.. well.. awful.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
Besides, how would these "new fans" know that these were mistakes, since none of the things he alludes to even happen during the first season?

By hearing B5 fans mention it. By reading B5 fans posts about this stuff on the internet/newsgroups.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
(Not that this is an issue in any case. If I like a show I like the show. It matters to me not one whit if the creator cared about it, was indifferent to it or came to actively hate it. What does that have to do with my reaction to the finished work?)

If, after having watched all of a series, you found out that the show's creator didn't care about the show, wouldn't that make you feel a little silly for having given a damn about it? It would, me.

OTOH there are subtle things in his S5 peformance that suggest he might think Lochley is hot.
He's a lot less than subtle about it in River of Souls when he gives her the 'love bat' /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If, after having watched all of a series, you found out that the show's creator didn't care about the show, wouldn't that make you feel a little silly for having given a damn about it?

Not in the least. If I find out that John Lennon never thought much of one of my favorite Beatle's songs, that makes me question his taste, not my own. But then, I tend not to get as emotionally involved in TV shows as some people, nor to let things that are irrelevant to the subject at hand influence my opinion of it. (For example, I really like Jaws. I don't understand people who say the inferior sequels "ruined" it for them. If the sequels sucked, don't watch them. They don't retroactively damage the original. The universe doesn't work that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Someone once told mystery writer James M. Cain (author of noir classics like The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity) that the movies had ruined his books. He pointed to a shelf filled with copies of his novels in various editions and several languages. "The movies didn't ruin them," he said, "There they are."

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Joe

So Joe, you don't feel that the new Star Wars films "ruin you childhood?" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I hope the Attack of the Clones or whatever the heck episode II is called doesn't stink. It's possibly the last VCR tape I'll ever order. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif IF this DVD thing lasts, that is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hypatia,

You haven't seen Episode 2? It will be interesting to see what you think. The general consensus is that it is superior to Episode 1, but the love story angle seemed to divide a lot fans.

Back