• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Better than Babylon 5.

I think... I really liked Braga's work when I was a kid watching TNG (though I didn't know it was him until I got older).

I think the beginning of the end, for me, at least, was the episode where Paris hit Warp 10, "evolved", and he and Janeway turned into salamanders and had kids.

There's science fiction, and then there's ludicrousness.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Thanks, Drakh!
laugh.gif

Channe...
shocked.gif

There is nothing else to describe that!

I've heard of that episode... but I think it might be the only Voyager ep I ever missed... either that or I was badly traumatised by the whole thing!

I have come to reason that a lot of my sticking points for Star Trek and Brannon Bragga exist because of what happened to Voyager part way through its run.

So much promise!! I loved Voyager, and always will, but despite its high points... what a wasted opportunity.
frown.gif

------------------
Sheridan: "It's... damn inconvienient!"
Delenn: "The truth often is."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SataiDelenn:
I'm going out on a limb. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the understatment of the millenium! LOL.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SataiDelenn:
I've heard of that episode... but I think it might be the only Voyager ep I ever missed... either that or I was badly traumatised by the whole thing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Treshold.

It's shares the most infamous Voyager episode award with Learning Curve (the one where Voyager gets attacked by Neelix' cheese).

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Not if you consider the fact that due to lower ad sales in the biz lately, SciFi will have less money to spend this year. And WB has so far been unwilling to give them the advantageous terms they have with their other shows (for example, SciFi only cover half of Farscape's 1.4 million budget.) Rangers will be a bigger risk than the other shows, so even if they like it, it still makes sense for them to wait for the ratings.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't know anything about sci-fi's budget nor do I care to know. While some might relax at night while reading through sci-fi ratings numbers I'm just a typical average American male. I like some sci-fi stuff, including B5 when it was around. Now I hear there's a new movie, but no series. To me that means that there just aint enough interest to justify a series or else the movie sucks.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Not if you consider the fact that due to lower ad sales in the biz lately, SciFi will have less money to spend this year. And WB has so far been unwilling to give them the advantageous terms they have with their other shows (for example, SciFi only cover half of Farscape's 1.4 million budget.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Farscape has a $1.4 million budget? I wouldn't have guessed that it was so high.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> It's shares the most infamous Voyager episode award with Learning Curve (the one where Voyager gets attacked by Neelix' cheese). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Learning Curve" is nothing compared to the bad science of "Twisted", the ep in which a spatial distortion mangles the shape of the ship, but keeps all of the corridors and bulkheads still intact (just connected in different ways), and the power and air flow seemingly unaffected.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Springob (edited October 22, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
I really don't know anything about sci-fi's budget nor do I care to know. While some might relax at night while reading through sci-fi ratings numbers I'm just a typical average American male. I like some sci-fi stuff, including B5 when it was around. Now I hear there's a new movie, but no series. To me that means that there just aint enough interest to justify a series or else the movie sucks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WARNING: Do not seek to understand the people at Sci-Fi (or WHV), or your head will implode. It's like what G'Kar said about Swedish meatballs:

"...it's one of those great universal mysteries, which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth."

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
Now I hear there's a new movie, but no series. To me that means that there just aint enough interest to justify a series<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's exactly what they'll be trying to determine by looking at the ratings from the movie.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
"Learning Curve" is nothing compared to the bad science of "Twisted"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ahh, yes, but Twisted didn't contain the line "Get that Cheese to Sickbay", now, did it?

------------------
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited October 22, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> That's exactly what they'll be trying to determine by looking at the ratings from the movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeez, do you actually read what I post before you reply or do you just see my name and immediately whip out a rapid response?

------------------

Now you've lost me Psionten, wasn't Drakh just saying that the networks are determining whether there is 'enough interest to justify a series' by waiting for the ratings. Not that I like how the ratings system seems to be run but some actual data rather than a finger in the air is probably what they are looking for.

That doesn't mean that they wouldn't have confidence in the venture, hell why spend money making a movie in the first place if they didn't.

I agree with you though that it's usually best to actually see the finished product first to judge something rather than speculating the hell out of it.

Speculation can lead to disappointment, disappoint lead to anger, anger to hate and hate to suffering, yoda yoda
smile.gif

------------------

I basically just made two little points... One had to do with speculation and the other with perception. You covered the speculation end nicely. As far as perception goes, I was giving you the perception of the fat lazy guy sitting on his couch not giving a damn about why sci-fi does what it does. From my perspective, sci-fi's lucky that I flip past their channel at all, given most of the crap that I see whenever I do click there.

------------------

Oh oops! I thought that was you...Ah, well I can often miss the hypothetical and live in the south pacific so I have no idea what the SciFi channel is like.

Do you think the average Joe (who perhaps enjoys sci- fi) would look at an upcoming and presumably well promoted pilot and go..."What? the network didn't buy 20 eps up front? Must be crap, where's the remote."?

------------------

SataiDelenn you were an actor?

Anything in the ImDb?
Or more theatre based?

I'm curious because I'm currently working at it and go through the usual cycles of loads of work and feeling good, to not even an audition and contemplating giving the whole profession the big finger...bloody swings and roundabouts I tell you.

I'd love to hear more about your views on it.

------------------

I find this interesting in that how good LOTR is going to be is connected to the discusion about how crap Trek and mostly Voyarger became. Voyarger could of really been something new and different a ship with 2 crews stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to make it home, could of been great but no it just became the same starfleet derived dribble, TNG with a different ship and crew basicly same Spock/Data come Doctor trying to become more human ect,ect. DS9 was much better but still stuck too close to old paths.
As for LOTR JMS has the chance to show us so much more of the B5 galaxy and do so many things that will hopefully blow us away so yes it could be as good and better as in it complaments B5 and shows us so much more of what B5 only hinted at so I hope it goes to series becouse i cant wait to see it!! And the best way to get it there is to get as many people to watch the movie as we can!

------------------

Well... I remember reading a JMS quote that said something along the lines of "I will NEVER again write every episode of a series, ever, ever, EVER." So who knows, he'll still give creative input of course, but since he obviously doesn't want to do every episode, there will be a greater variety of writing styles than there were before.

------------------

I haven't seen the trailer, but the premise sounds very promising. Besides, JMS at his very worst will still be excellent compared to most of the other scifi TV that's out there now. The only thing I really hope he works on is the dialogue. I loved B5, but I also flet that often the dialogue was rather weak, especially with those unending monologues. Of course, I'm sure part of this is personal preference - I'd rather have something subtle that I have to think about. But I suppose that is a problem anyone who develops an elaborate universe faces - you want to explain its intricacies to show what an elaborate and detailed creation it is, but for dramatic effect, you have to instead take much of it for granted (something Tolkien did magnificently).

Also, do we know anything about the main ship for Rangers? Is it going to be a whitestar? Or an old Earthforce design? Or another Minbari design?

Jamie
LU2.DUB.SAR
DUMU sha KA2.DINGIR.RA.IA2.KI

------------------

Braga was one of the first writers for Trek, or at least ST:TNG, who gave it something completely new. Braga did the really werid, twisted, and often intelligent shows in ST:TNG. He also did First Contact, remember? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B5 'Servered Dreams' won the Hugo award for production by over 50% of the vote... Over 'ST First Contact', 'Independance Day', and a slew of others.

One week in production, vs. over a year... Hmmmm. Comes down to writing again.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ushumgal:
I haven't seen the trailer, but the premise sounds very promising.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't you download it?
Here's the link for the highest quality version:
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/trailer/trailer2_full.mov

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ushumgal:
Also, do we know anything about the main ship for Rangers? Is it going to be a whitestar? Or an old Earthforce design? Or another Minbari design?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a 2245 Minbari design that looks a bit like a Whitestar in shape, but not in color, and maybe not in scale.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

shocked.gif

I haven't seen the trailer yet as my *lovely* college network wont let me download it yet *grr* and I most certainly can't afford to download it at home worst luck!

Being a gal who literally grew up with Babylon 5, and liked the way it followed on (as opposed to jumping in and being able to swim like Trek, bad analogy but nm) I can't wait for the new pilot and hope it will be aired in the UK for people like me (and Zen, and Brolac... and if you know those names PLEASE mail me... I miss the CC bunch!)

I'm holding no hopes after being slightly disappointed by Crusade (someone tell me the music looks more promising... Im sorry but it was a complete distraction on Crusade) but would like it to be good.

And I agree with SataiDelenn - MORE DELENN!!!! And David? Possibly? PLEEEEASE!!

LOL

Also, who the heck is AICN or whatever the anacronym was???

Regards

------------------
--Sharenn--
Zathras:
"Zathras... does not remember. But if Zathras remember, Zathras will tell you!"
--
Zathras: "You are finite, Zathras is finite, this... is wrong tool!"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back