• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Better than Babylon 5.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> G'Kars Eye... of course you're right, and I meant NO disrespect to Ms Sirios... (yeah, I'm sucking too! ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, I know, I was just messing around. One posts silly thing when there's little to do at work, because one's coworkers hijacked all the work and took it to another state on the other side of the freakin' country.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Is the relationship between a spaceship captain and his crew similar to the relationship between an executive producer and his actors?

If so JMS has a lot of extra raw material to use.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewSwallow:
If so JMS has a lot of extra raw material to use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well... He has been known to slip aspects of an actor into the character he/she plays...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Talk about divided opinions. Some declare it to be worth nothing, while others suspect it may be better than B5.

I'll have to reserve judgement until seeing the movie (and hopefully a large portion of the first season).

In fact, I should make this my standard practise for all new series which might have a continuous storyline.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Well here's my 2 cents worth:
It's only a pilot
don't expect Z'ha'dum from day one
The series will defintely get there

and just be glad that you actually getting to see it

It might be broadcast in SA in the next 5 years,
if i'm lucky

------------------
Never use a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SataiDelenn:
I have just watched the Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers preview numerous times at Sci-Fi.com.

I've examined it as a graduate of Media Studies, as a retired actor (retired young thank you!
smile.gif
), and I've examined it as a fan experiencing a drought of B5.

I'm going out on a limb. I honestly believe that LotR will be better than Babylon 5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How you can extrapolate to this conclusion, from the trailer, I don't know. There's only a tiny amount of information in the trailer, and I've watched the whole thing twice, a frame at a time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Babylon 5 was astounding television, but Rangers... it's going to blow the original series out the airlock.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that anything could ever surpass B5 by that margin.

JMS, you've done it. Lightning can strike twice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of this, I have no doubt.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I can hardly make out the images, they fly by so fast. And I have not had the patience to figure out how to run it more slowly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Start it in Quicktime. Pause it. Drag the slider back to the left edge, and use the Right Arrow/Left Arrow keys to step forward and back. If you want slo-mo, just hold the arrow keys down.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Come on guys, Ms Sirois is a talented actress and a lady, let's be more respectful.

(Yeah, that's right, I'm sucking up to the pretty actress. So sue me.
laugh.gif
)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"So sue me." You're beginning to sound like me.
smile.gif

You should use the "Go repress someone else." line.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I've just seen the error of my way! *laughs*

I'm overhyping Legend of the Rangers.

Honestly, I do still feel it has the potential to surpass B5 in it's intensity... but in essence, it can't really be better than anything, because in essence it is just different.

Hopefully it will be different enough to be as good as B5, but I think it has more potential to do things B5 could not.

That is what I have finally discovered I mean by better...

...for all those who have been asking!

Thanks for humouring a poor Minbari having a bad hairday!

laugh.gif
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

opps... excessive use of emoticons...
wink.gif

------------------
Sheridan: "It's... damn inconvienient!"
Delenn: "The truth often is."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SataiDelenn:
I finally accept what many Star Trek fans have been saying for years - Bragga will be the death of Trek.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to turn the discussion over to something else but I can't resist when you say this 'cause this has always been a hyped statement by fans who needed to find someone to frame for their wrath that the show/s weren't up to their expectations. Braga was one of the first writers for Trek, or at least ST:TNG, who gave it something completely new. Braga did the really werid, twisted, and often intelligent shows in ST:TNG. He also did First Contact, remember? Along with Ronald D. Moore of course. I honestly believe that if blaming anyone for what Trek has become you can point your finger at Richard Berman, who has been with Trek for longer that one can remember. I'm not saying that Brannon is doing a great job now, whatever his role behind the scenes is, but despite his possible mediocre work within the last few years he still has the potential to turn Trek upside down and for the better. I'm not a particularly big fan of Trek. I only watch it in the hopes of getting to see the good that Star Trek once in a while does. But I've watched enough as to remember when Brannon Braga entered Trek and what difference it made, at least for me when I watched it. I still fermly believe that Brannon Braga has been one of the best writers for ST:TNG. I quit watching Voyager years ago because they fecked it up. My point with all this is that I think too many have had the same thought about Brannon Braga, that he was the reason Trek has gone down the drain. Mind you, Richard Berman is the man in charge overall, and I do think it would be nice if he turned over Trek to a new crew. Now that I think about it, I'm confident that if Brannon Braga wasn't making Trek it would be even worse! Sorry for the little rant, that line just triggered it.
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

Apart from that, I do hope that B5:LOTR will be better than the original, though the 3rd season will be hard to surpass. And what that AICN nut said hasn't supressed my desire to watch the new flick so I'll be glued to the tele when my tape arrives.
tongue.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Thomas Banner
Diverse 3D
3D Artist - Space Cadet

You're correct Tom. That's why most people usually criticize Berman and Braga (aka the Killer B's) in the same breath.

By the way, your work is terrific.

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banner:
...snip...
My point with all this is that I think too many have had the same thought about Brannon Braga, that he was the reason Trek has gone down the drain. Mind you, Richard Berman is the man in charge overall, and I do think it would be nice if he turned over Trek to a new crew. Now that I think about it, I'm confident that if Brannon Braga wasn't making Trek it would be even worse! Sorry for the little rant, that line just triggered it.
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, upon doing a search, it looks like he did write some of the better TNG episodes(Reunion, Cause & Effect, A Fistful of Datas, Aquiel, Parallels, All Good Things ...Parts 1 & 2), as well as 4 of the 6 episodes of Voyager that I can stand.

Apart from that, I do hope that B5:LOTR will be better than the original, though the 3rd season will be hard to surpass.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Season 3 was the one good old WHV decided to release none of on Laserdisc.
mad.gif

And what that AICN nut said hasn't supressed my desire to watch the new flick so I'll be glued to the tele when my tape arrives.
tongue.gif
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
But if you want to speculate, then I think its telling that sci-fi STILL hasn't announced an on-going series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not if you consider the fact that due to lower ad sales in the biz lately, SciFi will have less money to spend this year. And WB has so far been unwilling to give them the advantageous terms they have with their other shows (for example, SciFi only cover half of Farscape's 1.4 million budget.) Rangers will be a bigger risk than the other shows, so even if they like it, it still makes sense for them to wait for the ratings.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.

Thanks for humouring a poor Minbari having a bad hairday!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, at least you have hair! My favorite Minbari (Neroon) doesn't have any and neither is he exactly blessed in patience.
wink.gif

------------------
Bashir: Assuming you're not a spy.
Garak: Assuming.
Bashir: Then maybe you're an outcast.
Garak: Or maybe I'm an outcast spy.

Personally, it always seemed best to reserve judgment on something until actually seeing the evidence. But if you want to speculate, then I think its telling that sci-fi STILL hasn't announced an on-going series. If it were "blow your mind" good then it seems that they would have made a move by now.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

B5_Obsessed,

Yeah, well, it kinda bugs me that some don't realize that Brannon Braga actually did excellent stuff for Star Trek. Is Brannon Braga writing the new Enterprise?

Oh, and I'm glad you like my work, mate!
smile.gif

KoshN,

There's also another episode he did called "Frame of Mind" which is mind blowing, literally
laugh.gif
I think he and Ronald D Moore was an excellent team in Trek. Damnit
smile.gif

Let's pray the DVD's will be a success so we can get the entire third season on DVD granted I, myself, haven't even watched one single DVD in my life. But B5 is a good reason to get a DVD player
smile.gif
laugh.gif

BTW JMS was right about AICN being fan boys who have lost it.

------------------
Thomas Banner
Diverse 3D
3D Artist - Space Cadet

Banner, I completely agree with you.

The reason I have taken so long to criticise Bragga as a fan, is because along with Jerry Taylor and Michael Pillar he was one my absolute favourite writers!

When he came on board TNG as a staff writer, I was of the opinion he breathed an amazing amount of new life into Star Trek.

Recently, my opinion has changed, obviously... because I finally posted something publically about it. The reason my opinion changed is because of an interview held with a recent 'ex' Trek writer. Ronald Moore who worked with Bragga on 'Generations' and 'First Contact'.

I'd provide the link, but I followed the link from somewhere on this site - a post featured it.

It's sobering, and gives the Star Trek fan a very nasty reality check.

Feel free to rant. I'm glad you did!
laugh.gif

I still believe Brannon is an extremely talented writer, but I fear he's just not 'Star Trek' anymore. It seems obvious he wants to go in different directions, the issue I have is a fear really, he may take Trek somewhere it doesn't need to go!

But, that's just my opinion based on what I have read.

It really seems it's time for one of two things to happen - Star Trek to end for a few years, like Babylon 5 did while the writers go and recharge their batteries and while the audience gets a break. Or, someone else who is responsible with Treks vision recieves the flame, and carries it forward.

------------------

Sorry, this is the third post in a row because I forgot to add something!
blush.gif

'Frame of Mind' is a superb episode, I agree with you again, Banner. I have it on tape, and never tire of watching it.

Throughout TNG, DS9 and Voyager I watched the credits especially for Brannon's name, and Ron Moore's as well.

Something just happened, and I think it might just be a simple case of burn out. Being so immersed in something as complicated and keenly observed as Trek is must be exhausting.

Yes, Brannon does write for 'Enterprise' and has been responsible with Rick Berman for a large chunk of the episodes written so far for the first season.

I also agree with you he could turn Trek into something wonderful, but at the moment... it seems they're going for ratings more than for what Trek was always meant to be (according to Roddenberry's vision as stated in an old StarLog interview with him years ago).

Roddenberry's aim was to explore contemporary issues through a science fiction format. To get a message across to his audience in a way that challenged them, and did not often offer popular answers to unpopular questions. Sci-Fi was to Roddenberry in the 60s and 80s a front for social opinion and expression. He wanted to disguise the truth in a pill with a pleasant flavour and then see where the audience took it.

Trek is meant to be cerebral, and Bragga managed that, but now... I don't know... I could be so very wrong, and it actually makes me cringe to criticise someone I admire as a writer. But at the same time, I feel it is a fans duty to challenge and speak out. Sometimes we (me) are wrong, sometimes we have a point. Sometimes we (me) sound like screaming banshee's, sometimes we sound like the voice of reason or caution. Sometimes we just come across like the thought police!

Thanks again for making me think about what I wrote, and provide reasons for my opinion. Criticism is only constructive if we back it up and are prepared to defend our statements.

Calling Bragga the 'death of Trek' was an irresponsible and highly dramatic remark. I'm hoping that with the new blood they have injected into the writing team that things will pick up and go in a new direction that challenges us, as well as entertains us.

------------------

The reason my opinion changed is because of an interview held with a recent 'ex' Trek writer. Ronald Moore who worked with Bragga on 'Generations' and 'First Contact'.

I'd provide the link, but I followed the link from somewhere on this site - a post featured it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron Moore interview part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7It's a bit long, but very interesting.

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back