• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5: TMOS - What I Don't Want To See...

Re: Babylon 5: TMOS - What I Don\'t Want To See...

Every aspect of speculations and arguments over faith in JMS, the differences between TMoS and the TV films...all of it has seen point and counter-point ad-infinitum over in the B5.related section of the forums.

CE, the posts in B5.related cover several different threads. The titles of those threads don't exactly jump out for those interested in discussing this topic. For example, you'd go to the thread titled "A new JMS message and hint 4/29" and have to read through a dozen or so messages to find a similar discussion, or try "TMoS casting guessing game" and scan through a dozen more, and then go back to "JMS in New Jersey" and repeat the process. The heading of this thread is for those directly interested in this specific topic.

Plus, even the topic we've been discussing here has, largely, a different focus. One of the threads you mentioned is more a discussion on the value of "The Legend Of The Rangers." Another speculates about what JMS will do with TMOS in terms of SPECIFIC plot points, not the discussion that we have been having regarding what, in general, are the types of things WE like/dislike about various aspects of B5, as they relate to TMoS.

For example, if you're not a Byron fan, you may not want a Byron returns from the dead film. One writer doesn't want the Shadows to appear in the film because he/she feels a reappearance could lesson their impact in relation to the original series. Some others would like to see some sort of resolution with the Crusade and/or Londo/G'Kar stories. Those examples are not the same as everyone deciding that the movie will focus on the Telepath War, because of what JMS has suggested in the past.

Anyway, this thread started as more of a lark to begin with, but why stop the discussion? I've enjoyed reading the comments from the others.

Why not just copy and paste the relevant posts that you'd like the posters on this thread to discuss, CE?

WTF is "The Telepath Song" ? :confused:

Imagine the Telepath community on B5, all standing around in a dark (Churh-like setting) with 1000 candles burning. Lyta and Byron walk in to:

"We will all come together in a Better Place, a Better Place..."
(This song was repeated again when Bester came back to claim the Blips, and Byron had his own script to follow, that made him a Martyr.)

But they didn't spontaneously burst into song, it was like a religious ceremony (Candles and everything), that's why it added an extra layer to the whole creepy cult thing for me, and when they went up in smoke, they were re-visiting that "religious ceremony" before passing beyond the veil.
I know they didn't spontaneously burst into song, but the effect IMO is the same. I don't disagree with what you are saying about the whole creepy cult thing, but still, I can do without hearing that song ever again.

Because JJCoolbean, and I'm not trying to be rude here, most people who've been here for a while (and even compared to some I'm still an infant) will tell you what they told me..."All of this has already been discussed in other threads, if you really want to know what was said about it...look it up."

This thread had started to veer into areas that have been discussed en mass elsewhere. While I wanted to respond, it was simply easier to point you in the right direction rather than sit here all day and copy and paste everything I or someone else had already said about something (which personally I don't really have time for). Not to mention, most people here have already read what I and even they have said in regards to most topics and really don't want to sift through it again.

You also seem to be under the impression that I was flaming you in some way, or chastizing you. I wasn't...I was merely pointing you in the right direction for some answers to ideas you had mentioned; to gain knowledge of the opinions on such matters which have already been voiced by those in this forum.

As for the location of this thread...I was merely pointing out that all of the discussion of TMoS has been in B5.related and that you might check over there and start future threads there since that's where most people are looking for any discussion of this subject.

I was trying to guide someone a bit...sorry if I came across rude, it wasn't my intention. It appears you've been registered since 10/10/03 but haven't been around much...I was merely attempting to help.

CE

OK I remember that, thanks. I thought that was a real song though that they were just singing (like Amazing Grace) which is why I didnt associate it with "Telepath Song" since I didnt think it was custom.

CE, the posts in B5.related cover several different threads. ... Why not just copy and paste the relevant posts that you'd like the posters on this thread to discuss, CE?
Please, let's not do this. We have enough quoting of selves. Just read all the threads and then speculate on what hasn't been speculated on so far, rather than inviting infinate rehashing of the same stuff.

Hell, we Second Generation people (those whom JDM has driven to this site by his posts on rec.tv.sf.b5.mod re: the JMS speculations) have already annoyed The First Ones by doing that to them! :LOL:

Can't say I agree with the opinions expressed here by ColonyEarth and Grumbler. I can well understand their desire not to read the same thing again, but it's much like television: if you don't like it, read something else.

If I have to hunt down everyone's previously-expressed opinions before speaking, for fear of boring those who got here before me, this will quickly become an "old hands only" site.

Conversations repeat. If you've seen it before, skip it. If you can't stand that someone might not have access to your opinion, say it again, but don't insist they'd better go hunt it down. We're here for entertainment's sake, not to rise through ranks in the old-timer's club.

Tarondor

The Telepath(etic) Song!

Byron and Lyta lead a chorus of telepaths in the theory that their tone deaf singing will stop the psi-cops in their tracks.

What Next?

Singalong mode with Londo struting his funky stuff with his Keeper doing a brilliant rendition of ME AND MY SHADOW.

You have to admit it was quite funny - I muted the volume until it stopped.

:LOL:

If I have to hunt down everyone's previously-expressed opinions before speaking, for fear of boring those who got here before me, this will quickly become an "old hands only" site.

This isn't the first time this has come up, either. :LOL:

Tarondor is absolutely right, though.

If every newcomer is given the greeting of "damn, look that up, it was discusses elsewhere" the site will grow pretty stale, I'd think. ;)

Every other discussion board of which I am a member (and there are a few) has, as one of its primary board rules, an instruction to new members asking that they search the board for existing threads on topics of interest to them, and read those threads before posting new ones on those same topics.

Comments from new members on those subjects can be directed to furthering and extending the existing discussion threads rather than posting new ones on which the same comments, arguments and points of contention can be introduced all over again.

This doesn't drive new members away anywhere else, so I fail to see why it would do so here. Just sensible board management.

I find it elitist and annoying. It'd drive me away, or drive me to ignore such a request. As I said, if you see a thread you've seen before, just skip it! Let others have their fun. What possible advantage could you gain by stifling their discussion?

I find it organizational to keep the same discussion within one thread and to eliminate redundant threads.

IMO, this is fine as a separate thread.

What don't I want to see? Well, Sindatur beat me to saying the Zarg, so, I'll say I don't want to see JMS playing a Minbari, or N'Grath in bed with Lyta. :eek: :D ;)

I find it elitist and annoying. It'd drive me away, or drive me to ignore such a request. As I said, if you see a thread you've seen before, just skip it! Let others have their fun. What possible advantage could you gain by stifling their discussion?
I understand that you may not have the patience to read what others have said before wanting to post your own opinions, but what we are talking about here is called "board etiquette." Like all etiquette, it isn't mandatory, but whether or not you are willing to follow it says a lot about your respect for others.

No one is talking about stifling conversation, what we are talking about is enabling conversation. If you get a rep for starting new threads that duplicate existing threads, people who were here for the original topics will simply ignore threads started by you and "conversation" will cease, as far as your posts are concerned. If, on the other hand, you coninue old conversations with new contributions, people will look at your posts and respond to them, because they will feel that you had the courtesy to consider their ideas before posting your own. Courtesy begets courtesy. There is nothing elitist about courtesy.

I suppose the call is the moderators'. But I'd think if a subject isn't currently being repeated in the most recent threads it would be fair game to open up. Or if a different spin is being taken as a sideline to a conversation.

For some time here threads were closed for straying from the subject, remember? I'd say it's not as obvious a call as you might think when a new thread should be opened.

As far as what I don't want to see in TMoS? Quite frankly: a lot of hype, a lot of money spent, and an end product that is crappy. I tend to agree with those who say JMS might have a bit of a problem writing these 2 hour tv-movies. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to get someone who has some experience in making cinema films popular to the general public.

As much as I hope for that, I'd rather see a commercially weak, but intellectually inteesting, product than another FX-driven so-called "sci-fi" movie. Finding the right balance is going to be the tricky one for this project, I fear.

Can both types of audiences be pleased with the same product? Those who like JMS's writing for it's arc-view and those who want lots of action and space battles?

As far as what I don't want to see in TMoS? Quite frankly: a lot of hype, a lot of money spent, and an end product that is crappy.

Hmm ... Star Wars: The Phantom Menace anyone?

:p

Am I right to read your comment to mean you don't want to see those three things in tandem, rather than any of them period?

Frankly, I am quite happy to see a lot of hype and a lot of money spent if the end result is stunning.

:D

:LOL:

Yes, I meant "all together" in tandem. :LOL:

If the end product is good (and successful) it will be worth the hype. And, quite frankly, if those involved can get some bucks out of it, great!

But yes, there is the Star Wars Prequel saga to consider. But B5 doesn't have the kind of fandom waiting eagerly for a B5 movie that the Star Wars franchise has, to its advantage.

But B5 doesn't have the kind of fandom waiting eagerly for a B5 movie that the Star Wars franchise has, to its advantage.

I suppose we're all chopped flarn then. :p

Grumbler and Colony Earth, although I think this thread should have been posted in the B5 Related Forum, I HAVE read ALL of all the threads speculating about TMOS in that Forum, I find that the topic in this thread, while it has been touched on in other threads, is quite different and specific enough to be suitable as a separate thread. Those threads were mostly guessing about what it would be, or what we wanted it to be, i.e. the opposite of this thread. So, hey, discuss on this thread, or not, as you chose, but the quibbling is an unnecessary distraction. Thanks. :D

As far as the Etiquette and duplicate thread subject goes, here's my view:

I personally prefer to lurk for awhile before posting (Heck I've been reading posts in this forum ever since LotR came out, and only been posting for a very short time). Every board has a different culture.

Let's take ColonyEarth's first post here. It was very good, very insightful, and contributed knowledge of the industry. However, it seemed, with some of the way some things were phrased, he was not familiar with the culture on this specific board, and his first few posts insighted a few less than curteous replies. So perhaps lurking for a bit may have helped smooth that out for him. (No offense intended CE, I actually felt bad for you when the less than courteous replies were made to you).

I agree, you don't want to increase the Mods work by repeatedly making new threads on the same thing (This one has now changed to "Things you don't want to see..." but the original post by this poster seemed to be more towards what had been posted before.

A happy middle ground I have seen on other boards, is to inform a new person what the titles of the threads are that you are referring to them, bump those topics, or link them (IE: "Welcome to the board, you will find there are several threads already regarding this topic, please check them and ensure you really need to open a new thread, or add your new comments to possibly revive old ones. I have bumped three such threads for you to look at:
JMS Gives new Clue...
TMOS what's it all about
ABC123

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back