• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Books

So I guess you already have The Passing of the Techno-mages trilogy?

I managed to find one for the person way above who was looking for it. He just needs to read his PM.

No, I don't have the Techno-mage or Psi-Corps trilogies, and from what I've read here and seen online, finding Techno-mage Book II will be very difficult. Once I have some more cash to blow I'll pick up the Psi-Corps trilogy first (as far as I know those are all readily available).

No, I don't have the Techno-mage or Psi-Corps trilogies, and from what I've read here and seen online, finding Techno-mage Book II will be very difficult.

Not nearly as difficult as finding Legions of Fire Book III.

Once I have some more cash to blow I'll pick up the Psi-Corps trilogy first (as far as I know those are all readily available).

Actually, it makes more sense to grab The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light first, because it's only going to become harder and pricier to find as time goes on. The Psi Corps trilogy seems to be in less demand, so it ought to stay easy to find for a longer period of time.

I just checked, and of #7, #9 and the three trilogies, only Legions of Fire Book III is out of print. The others are orderable. ;)

The fact is almost no books are advertised on TV, because there isn't enough of an overlap between book readers and TV viewers to make it worthwhile.

In Britain the Babylon 5 books were advertised on tv. Channel 4 published books #1 to #9 and mentioned them after each episode.

Not nearly as difficult as finding Legions of Fire Book III.

Actually, it makes more sense to grab The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light first, because it's only going to become harder and pricier to find as time goes on. The Psi Corps trilogy seems to be in less demand, so it ought to stay easy to find for a longer period of time.

I just checked, and of #7, #9 and the three trilogies, only Legions of Fire Book III is out of print. The others are orderable. ;)

Where is Summoning Light available from? I looked everywhere on the internet last night and could only find used copies (starting at about $40USD). If you could let me know where it's available new I would be most grateful.

In Britain the Babylon 5 books were advertised on tv. Channel 4 published books #1 to #9 and mentioned them after each episode.

But with Channel 4 being the publisher as well as the broadcaster, they presumably could do that without it costing them anything, since all they did was put up a picture and get the announcer to say something.

Where is Summoning Light available from? I looked everywhere on the internet last night and could only find used copies (starting at about $40USD). If you could let me know where it's available new I would be most grateful.

http://www.bordersstores.com/search...rchTerms=034542722X&mediaType=1&srchType=ISBN

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780345427229

and if those don't work out....

Jeanne Cavelos <jcavelos@mindspring.com>

I sent you some of this info in a PM this morning at 8:30AM EST (GMT-5).

Last edited:
Now flip through Time magazine and tell me about all the book advertising you see.

It doesn't necessarily have to be "Time." I was just trying to come up with a mainstream magazine, a place where the ad. would likely be seen by anybody, a general cross section of the population.

You know where publishers advertise? The New York Times Book Review. Because they want to reach book readers. They don't waste their time tryiing to "spread the net wider" by advertising books to people who don't read books in the hope that the ad will do what millions of books evidently haven't - get them interested in reading books. (Boy, that would have to be a really good ad. ;))

WTF??? I may be interested in reading books, but I've never read The New York Times Book Review. in my life. In between the group of people who wouldn't read a book if you put a gun to their head, and the book reading fanatics who live and breathe books, are "normal people" who both like to watch TV and read some books, but wouldn't read The New York Times Book Review regularly if you gave them a lifetime subscription to it.

Similarly I don't see what is so stupid about trying to sell Babylon 5 books to people who are already interested in Babylon 5 - or at least SF in general

NOTHING stupid about it. Who said it was stupid? I just said it wasn't enough. There are Babylon 5 and SF fans who don't get to go to the cons. where Del Rey did whatever it was that they did. In fact, that would seem to include most people here, since nobody has come forward with firsthand knowledge of what Del Rey actually did at any of the cons.

- instead of trying to use an advertisement to create an interest in a book which is iteself a spin-off of a TV show that the target audience never watched and isn't interested in.

Why does it have to be "instead of" ? One or the other? Why can't they do both, i.e. stuff at major B5/SF cons., and an ad. in a general place where everybody looks? There are B5 and SF people who don't get to go the the cons. where Del Rey was. These people do watch TV, read the paper, and spend some time in bookstores. I don't know, maybe the ones who wouldn't read a book, ANY book, even if a gun was held to their head would turn to dust if they entered or caught sight of a bookstore. :p

By the way, I don't know where you got the "$100 per trilogy" figure for doing posters for the Dell books

Let's just say, you completely misunderstood. You couldn't have misunderstood more. I was being sarcastic, saying "What was their budget, $100/trilogy?" BECAUSE of how little they did. Nowhere did I say that they could produce posters for $100/trilogy. I don't know where the hell you got that. Creative reading, I guess.

(well, I have my suspicions and all I can say is I hope you washed your hands) but 3 seconds rational thought should make you realize that $100 wouldn't cover the postage to send a set of four-color posters to a couple of dozen bookstores, much less the thousands of bookstores across the country - and the cost (artwork and design plus production) of the posters themselves.

Actually, "and all I can say is I hope you washed your hands" is where I think you dug up your "suspicions." Next time, how about reading the words that are actually there, not the ones you imagine are there.

It doesn't necessarily have to be "Time." I was just trying to come up with a mainstream magazine, a place where the ad. would likely be seen by anybody, a general cross section of the population.

What's the last book -- science fiction book -- you found out about through "Time," or any other mainstream magazine? How about television? What science fiction books have you seen advertised on television, where it wasn't a tie-in book that was being published by the same company as the television station/network?

WTF??? I may be interested in reading books, but I've never read The New York Times Book Review. in my life. In between the group of people who wouldn't read a book if you put a gun to their head, and the book reading fanatics who live and breathe books, are "normal people" who both like to watch TV and read some books, but wouldn't read The New York Times Book Review regularly if you gave them a lifetime subscription to it.

Sorry to disabuse you of your assumption, but lots and lots of people who read get their information from the New York Times Book Review, either as a primary source, or a secondary one (talking to someone who reads it, reading a column about an item in it, seeing something on a blog commenting on it, reading an Amazon.com review that references it, etc.).

NOTHING stupid about it. Who said it was stupid? I just said it wasn't enough. There are Babylon 5 and SF fans who don't get to go to the cons. where Del Rey did whatever it was that they did. In fact, that would seem to include most people here, since nobody has come forward with firsthand knowledge of what Del Rey actually did at any of the cons.

All that means is that nobody here happened to be at one of those cons, but probably many of us heard second-hand information about it. And as Jan said, what they probably did is what every other publisher does at cons: they had a table with freebies and promotional materials about the books. Fans saw it, media saw it, and lo, a great shout went up from the populace and the word was passed!

Not everybody is going to hear about every book, all the time, and this, I think, is where your argument loses steam and comes across as baseless complaining. You are speaking as though you were entitled to hear about this. How much press do most science fiction books get? Sure, you'll hear about the latest Harry Potter, and probably even the latest Anne Rice or Stephen King books, but most sf readers find out about the latest sf books by going to the bookstore and browsing. It simply isn't possible for Del Rey -- or any other publisher, for that matter -- to send someone around to ring the doorbell of every single science fiction fan in the world to make sure they know about every book they publish, and putting an ad in "Time" magazine or in prime time on a network amounts to basically that. It's expensive, and a niche series like Babylon 5 tie-in books is simply not going to have the budget for it. I realize you're disappointed by this, but it's fact, and it's commonly accepted business practice in the not-at-all-lucrative genre publishing world, and you're lucky we even had any books as tie-ins to this series, frankly.

Why does it have to be "instead of" ? One or the other? Why can't they do both, i.e. stuff at major B5/SF cons., and an ad. in a general place where everybody looks? There are B5 and SF people who don't get to go the the cons. where Del Rey was. These people do watch TV, read the paper, and spend some time in bookstores.

You keep focusing on the con, the con, the con. As though Del Rey said, "Ha, let's just target those con-going sf fans and screw the rest!" No, it was a way of getting the most bang for their buck, by reaching a large amount of fans in one relatively inexpensive place, fans who would return to their communities and spread the word about everything they'd seen that weekend. Do you read needcoffee.com? They go to DragonCon and report on it every year. Do you read filmforce.ign.com? They always have someone there and write up the events they go to. Etc. As for the people who aren't on the internet, and don't read magazines, and don't talk to any other sf fans...well, Del Rey can't be responsible for reaching every shut-in. I daresay that anyone who isn't doing all of those things isn't hearing about many books, not just the B5 ones.

Anyone who was/is a sufficiently motivated B5 fan could/did find out about these books.

>> Let's just say, you completely misunderstood. You couldn't have misunderstood more. I was being sarcastic, saying "What was their budget, $100/trilogy?" BECAUSE of how little they did. Nowhere did I say that they could produce posters for $100/trilogy. I don't know where the hell you got that. Creative reading, I guess. <<

In Joe's defense, in message #72 in this thread, you wrote: "And I suppose a poster for bookstore windows, say one for each trilogy, would break the bank? What size advertising budget are we talking about her, $100/trilogy?" By juxtaposing your supposition about the advertising budget with that sentence about whether or not posters would 'break the bank,' of course someone could have conflated those two thoughts. I know I did, too.

At this point we're just flogging the same points. It boils down to the fact that you think that the publishing business should have reinvented itself, or at least twisted itself into a pretzel, to accomodate one relatively small, low-earning franchise that probably cost them a pretty penny in licensing fees. I'm telling you you're being unrealistic, and letting your fannish devotion to the series narrow your vision to pinpoints. Heck, I love the series, too, but some of the things you insist are just plain wacky, and if implemented on a broad scale for all such books, would put most publishers out of business.

Feel free to have the last word.

Amy

Let's just say, you completely misunderstood. You couldn't have misunderstood more. I was being sarcastic, saying "What was their budget, $100/trilogy?" BECAUSE of how little they did. Nowhere did I say that they could produce posters for $100/trilogy. I don't know where the hell you got that. Creative reading, I guess.

Nope. Lousy writing. Learn to express yourself more clearly and you'll be understood better. But let's be clear that the problem is on your side of the keyboard. And as long as you simply have no idea what you're talking about, it doesn't matter how well you express youself because you still aren't going to make any sense, persuade anyone of anything or be anything but what you are on this subject - a carnk and a crashing bore, with all the charm and verve of flat-earthers, Bigfoot hunters and devotees of the Atlantis Legend.

As Amy said, feel free to have the last word. (Or several hundred endlessly repeated words.) Maybe someone will even read them.

Regards,

Joe

And I suppose a poster for bookstore windows, say one for each trilogy, would break the bank? What size advertising budget are we talking about her, $100/trilogy?

[/i] ??
[/QUOTE]

Nope. Lousy writing. Learn to express yourself more clearly and you'll be understood better.

Actually it is in inability to read properly here which is the problem.As it was clearly a question (that the sentance began with what and ended in a question mark is a clue :) ) it can in no way be taken as a statement of fact.Due to the preceding sentence and the very nature of the discussion and this posters views on it I would say it was pretty obvious it was a sarcastic remark.

I would expect Data not to get it.It is exactly the sort of misunderstanding used on Star Trek as humour involving Data.

Have you heard about the Mongoose novels (non-canon and non-endorsed by JMS) anywhere else, or only on the internet/newsgroups?

I actually came across some non canon books once but never bothered buying them because they were not canon.I would prefer to have the official story.

I really don't understand the rudeness on this thread just because somebody disagrees with others on a subject.By being patronizing and having the "if you're not clever enough to agree with me you must be really dumb attitude" doesn't help either.

Making things up to attempt to ridicule posters ideas is also rather lame.

For example,the "you're suggesting the publishing industry rearranges how it works" nonsense.I will put it in simple terms so that there is no excuses for misunderstanding.I'll even tell you exactly how the publishing industry works :)

The publishing industry works by advertising it's books,some more than others.

Some people feel that the Babylon 5 books should of been advertised more.

Simple really with no calls to change the system or anything else.

It also seems that I have had the last word :p

Actually it is in inability to read properly here which is the problem.As it was clearly a question (that the sentance began with what and ended in a question mark is a clue :) ) it can in no way be taken as a statement of fact.Due to the preceding sentence and the very nature of the discussion and this posters views on it I would say it was pretty obvious it was a sarcastic remark.

I would expect Data not to get it.It is exactly the sort of misunderstanding used on Star Trek as humour involving Data.

Actually, I think it's much more easily misunderstood than you portray it. And this is no reflection of how much I disagree or agree with Mac, honestly. This is how I read it first time through (and the parenthetical, bold remarks are my thoughts, my interpretation of the statements as I was reading): "And I suppose a poster for bookstore windows, say one for each trilogy, would break the bank? What size advertising budget are we talking about her(e, to fund something like posters suitable for displaying in bookstores), $100/trilogy?"

See?

I really don't understand the rudeness on this thread just because somebody disagrees with others on a subject.By being patronizing and having the "if you're not clever enough to agree with me you must be really dumb attitude" doesn't help either.

It didn't start out rude, but if you were an orthopedic surgeon and you were on a message board somewhere, and someone kept insisting over and over again that human bones were made up of Coca-cola and fairy dust, you'd go pretty crazy trying to correct them, and eventually you might get less pleasant and polite than your normal, charming self.

Making things up to attempt to ridicule posters ideas is also rather lame.

For example,the "you're suggesting the publishing industry rearranges how it works" nonsense.

No, it is not nonsense. I worked in the book publishing industry, at a major house, and still have many, many, many friends in the publishing industry with whom I speak all the time, and I also keep up with the industry as a matter of personal interest, by reading industry publications and news. If there's anyone on this board who is actually working in the book publishing industry right now, in a major house of at least the size of Del Rey (and the house I worked for was bigger), then perhaps I would bow to their greater wisdom. Failing that, even if you don't consider me the local expert, I certainly have enough experience and chops to say when someone is talking nonsense, and in this case, it ain't me.

I will put it in simple terms so that there is no excuses for misunderstanding.I'll even tell you exactly how the publishing industry works :)

"Simple terms"? Who's being rude now? And, on what basis are you telling me how the publishing industry works? What house do you work for, and what position are you there?

The publishing industry works by advertising it's books,some more than others.

Er, no. The publishing industry doesn't work by advertising its books (no apostrophe in that "its"), and it doesn't even always sell books by advertising them. In fact, most of their books -- the industry term would be "backlist" -- aren't sold through advertising of any kind whatsoever.

Some people feel that the Babylon 5 books should of been advertised more.

AUGH! That's "should HAVE," not "should OF." Please tell me that you don't work in editorial!

Simple really with no calls to change the system or anything else.

It also seems that I have had the last word :p

Ah, you wish. :) I told Mac I wasn't going to respond to him any more, but I didn't make you any such promise. :D

Amy

I really don't understand the rudeness on this thread just because somebody disagrees with others on a subject.

Come back and tell us how you feel after you've seen Mac make essentially the same rant 15 or 20 times on various systems. Same rant, same ill-informed 'suggestions' and still railing against something that's been over and done with for *years*. Over and over and over.

Jan

Hmmm, reading all of the information you got from the guy at Del Rey, and factoring in everything I've told you (and Jan and Joe have said as well), do you really think that those posters would have made any difference, especially since most bookstores would have left them in a pile in the back of the stockroom until they remembered to throw them out?

Most bookstores. How many bookstores have each of you worked at in order to say "most bookstores" ?

Do I really think the posters would have made any difference? If displayed, yes. If I'm walking past a bookstore, and I see a poster in their front window and it's about something that interests me, then yes, I'm going to go in and check it out. It'd bug me if I didn't. If I went into the bookstore looking for a particular item, and I see the poster on the wall behind the register as I'm checking out, chances are that I'll step out of the line and go look at the item. Until seeing that poster, I guarantee you that I wouldn't have been thinking about that item at all. I'd probably have been lost in my thoughts.... What time did I feed and/or walk my dog? Did I do everything I meant to do here at the mall? Is there anything I still have to do for that meeting tomorrow? What do I feel like having for dinner? ...etc., etc.

I've seen posters taped to the front windows of bookstores, before, and behind the registers. They're not all thrown out.

There are so many ways I could go with this. But I'll be nice, and play it straight: so how did that effect their sales of the book?

Probably not at all, because one single paperback is awfully small in a big display in the front window. Still, it was more face-on display that any B5 book had in that store before I went there that evening.

And how much display space for posters (or any other promotional paper materials, for that matter) do you see at most major booksellers?

The huge picture windows at the front of every store.

Or, "they" (whoever you are blaming for this)

The "they" being Del Rey, the company.

chose to not exceed their budget.

Must have been a miniscule budget.

With the millions of books published every year, why would a publisher choose to defy all reason and convention and try to find a larger audience for a sub-class (tv tie-in) of a niche genre (sf) that has historically been limited to a fairly small segment of the population?

If all they (Del Rey) are going to do is do a couple of cons., and put an ad. in a SF magazine or two, how can they expect continued strong sales over the course of years? In a short while, they'll have mainly depleted all the people they reached. Unless they try to reach the people who watched the TV show but don't go to SDCC or DragonCon, and don't read Locus, they're going to keep tapping the same, relatively small (compared to the size of the B5 TV audience) group of people, and they're going to be disappointed in their book sales.

I've got news for you: if you're not browsing the bookstores and libraries, if you're not reading publishing industry magazines or hotsheets, if you're not on mailing lists for bookstores and catalogs and newsletters and (in the old days) zines, if you're not talking to other fans/friends/people at your comics shop, you are not the typical sf reader.

Maybe not the typical sf reader, but you might be the typical sf viewer who may turn into an sf reader. That's what happened to me. I came from those ranks (typical sf viewer).

Once again I find myself highly amused.

When the fact that you have made a mistake is shown it seems that it it better to make a quick excuse and then run a spell check/grammar check to hide the fact that you can't admit it.Using different languages daily now for over eleven years has resulted in my english deteriating somewhat.However I could easily find mistakes in anybodies posts.

Not only do I have to go to conventions to know about books I have to join multiple forums to be able to reply on the content of this thread :LOL:

I missed the television adverts in the UK because I moved in 96 to Spain and I then watched B5 on Sky.At least they showed some initative in the UK.I have no idea why my friends and brother missed them.

No matter what people do have the right to have a different opinion and over something so trivial the levels of agression are unwarranted in my opinion.

I missed the television adverts in the UK because I moved in 96 to Spain and I then watched B5 on Sky.At least they showed some initative in the UK.I have no idea why my friends and brother missed them.

But only because it was the TV channel showing the show that was also the publisher of the books ... free advertising.

No matter what people do have the right to have a different opinion and over something so trivial the levels of agression are unwarranted in my opinion.

Absolutely people have a right to an opinion ... but if that opinion is shown to be unrealistic and unreasonable by someone with the knowledge and experience to demonstrate how it works in practice then it is beholden on the holder of said opinion to at least acknowledge the greater "wisdom" of the other party rather than just keep restating the same unreasonable opinion ... I see much the same from proponents of the moon landing hoax theory on other boards I frequent.

Was it Harlan Ellison who said ... everyone is entitled to their own informed opinion ... ?

If someone came onto the board here and expressed strong opinions on how UK pensions should provide guaranteed levels of income in retirement (my area of expertise) and the fact that they don't is down to incompetence then I imagine it wouldn't take many fruitless attempts explaining why that was unreasonable before my frustration began to show.

Having said all that, I don't think there is anything to be gained by running this argument over and over. And did I mention over?

Actually, I think it's much more easily misunderstood than you portray it. And this is no reflection of how much I disagree or agree with Mac, honestly. This is how I read it first time through (and the parenthetical, bold remarks are my thoughts, my interpretation of the statements as I was reading): "And I suppose a poster for bookstore windows, say one for each trilogy, would break the bank? What size advertising budget are we talking about here, (to fund something like posters suitable for displaying in bookstores), $100/trilogy?"

That's exactly how I saw it; a suggestion of how much the posters would cost to produce.

no apostrophe in that "its"

AUGH! That's "should HAVE," not "should OF." Please tell me that you don't work in editorial!

THANK YOU :beer:

Those type of mistakes in posts really bug me. It comes from when we say "should've", and people forget that it is a shortening of "should have". And don't try to tell me it's allowable, I work in a school.

"Simple terms"? Who's being rude now? And, on what basis are you telling me how the publishing industry works? What house do you work for, and what position are you there?

Er, no. The publishing industry doesn't work by advertising its books (no apostrophe in that "its"), and it doesn't even always sell books by advertising them. In fact, most of their books -- the industry term would be "backlist" -- aren't sold through advertising of any kind whatsoever.

Since when did sentances start with the word "and"?Since when would you put a comma before using or after using the word "and"?Since when do we use -- instead of commas?

See how easy it is :p

It is a good idea when trying to patronise somebody for making mistakes not to make them yourself ;)

Should of is perfectly acceptable in Scots,which is my native language.The British government now accepts Scots as a regional language and has recognised it as such under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages.

It is taught in schools :)

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/specialfocus/scots/index.asp

One of the reasons for this is the amount literature available in Scots.In fact even english uses a great many Scots words.One of my favourites is rampage ;)

I forgot an apostrophe,guilty as charged.I should be hung drawn and quartered.

I wonder if American spelling annoys people too :p

Any International message board will have several styles of writing on them.A certain amount of leeway should always be made for misunderstandings and when they are cleared up there is no reason to then blame the person who wrote the post for your misunderstanding instead of reacting on what you now know was meant.

As for expecting everyone to know what has been posted on several forums over the period of several years,well that is just crazy.

The experts have said it is unviable to advertise the books on television.It is then revealed that they were advertised on tv.That means the experts were wrong about that at least :p

It was suggested by a poster that KoshN wanted the entire publishing industry to change how it works.This was then seized upon and used as means to ridicule his points.He never even suggested it in the first place yet gets blamed for it :LOL:

Stop bullying the lad :LOL:

If you have decided that you have said everything you want on a subject then say no more.If others want to carry on discussing something then let them.I will decide myself when I feel something is done and dusted,I will not let anybody else tell me.

I can't wait till some new material is released to see the fighting over how it should be advertised,packaged ect :devil:

Should of is perfectly acceptable in Scots,which is my native language.

Me Scots dictionar doesn't agree :D

.. and how come every time I check the on-topic forums these days, people are killing eachother, preferably over spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes? :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back