• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

LOST Season 2 Premiere tonight at 9pm

I don't think that was Jin the character. I think it was Daniel Dae Kim the Actor, ( like the voice over last week about Finding out about all the survivors), after the preview was done. Everyone's been calling "BS, how can Jin automatically speak English with no accent" all day on the ABC site. I've gotta watch my tape, because I don't think it was part of the actual preview.

I don't think that was Jin the character. I think it was Daniel Dae Kim the Actor, ( like the voice over last week about Finding out about all the survivors), after the preview was done. Everyone's been calling "BS, how can Jin automatically speak English with no accent" all day on the ABC site. I've gotta watch my tape, because I don't think it was part of the actual preview.

It definitely seemed like it was part of the preview to me (not just the actor talking about next week's show).

No accent? I don't think the idea is that he just learned English from being on the island or anything, but rather that he knew English all along (like his wife).

I imagine next week's backstory will be Jin and will explain this.....or come close to explaining it and then leave us hanging ;).

Taking the whole show into context, it's gonna be incredibly difficult for the writers to believably write that he knew English all along, to satisfy me. He's had reactions, that made me question if he understood English, such as "Your wife's HOTT, Dude", but then we hear Jin hearing gibberish when English is spoken around him.

I don't even think (if I'm correct) that it was a tease, I think they didn't realize the misinterpretaion would occur. In that final clip, he still has the booboo above his eye, but, it appears to have healed quite a bit, he's very cleaned up, and he's in a brightly lit room, so, if it's part of the show, it's about two days later, and he's in a very civilized looking room, with electricity.

Personally I think it Jin speaking English will be played out in someones head or imagination. Because like you said, there is not a believable reason for him suddenly speaking English; unless someone is imagining it. But I'm sure that I'm wrong, this is Lost after all. ;)

Did anyone else catch the reference in the orientation film to B.F. Skinner, the famous pyschologist? He had a theory of operant conditioning, and used rats as an example.

Imagine a rat in a cage. This is a special cage (called, in fact, a “Skinner box”) that has a bar or pedal on one wall that, when pressed, causes a little mechanism to release a foot pellet into the cage. The rat is bouncing around the cage, doing whatever it is rats do, when he accidentally presses the bar and -- hey, presto! -- a food pellet falls into the cage! The operant is the behavior just prior to the reinforcer, which is the food pellet, of course. In no time at all, the rat is furiously peddling away at the bar, hoarding his pile of pellets in the corner of the cage.

A behavior followed by a reinforcing stimulus results in an increased probability of that behavior occurring in the future.

What if you don’t give the rat any more pellets? Apparently, he’s no fool, and after a few futile attempts, he stops his bar-pressing behavior. This is called extinction of the operant behavior.

A behavior no longer followed by the reinforcing stimulus results in a decreased probability of that behavior occurring in the future.

Now, if you were to turn the pellet machine back on, so that pressing the bar again provides the rat with pellets, the behavior of bar-pushing will “pop” right back into existence, much more quickly than it took for the rat to learn the behavior the first time. This is because the return of the reinforcer takes place in the context of a reinforcement history that goes all the way back to the very first time the rat was reinforced for pushing on the bar!

And damn, I'm actually starting to like Sawyer.

Thanks for the reference. I remember seeing and reading about this type of stuff in college and the thought had occured to me that what is going on on the island could possibly be some huge scientific experiment. I suppose that's as good idea as any, as none of us really have a clue as to what the hell is really going on.

The whole "enter the numbers into the computer because someone has always been doing it" thing I thought was pretty gay.

I'm sorry but just when and how did "gay" suddenly become a generic synonym for "stupid" or "uncool"? And when did people become stupid enough to carelessly use it that way?

As for doing it "just because somebody said to", that's not why Desmond is doing what he's doing. Someone (who was himself convinced) told him about the awful thing that would happen if they didn't enter the fail-safe code to reset the timer. I would assume that at a minimum Desmond expected the bunker to self-destruct, hence his desire to get as far away from it as possible. If someone told you that at the very least a massive explosion would take out your sanctuary if you failed to enter the code, would you really not enter the code to see if they were serious or if it were all just an experiment?

I suspect that "the incident" involved something going terribly wrong with the biological experiments topside. At some point the bunker's integrity was breached (or nearly so) and a self-destruct mechanism akin to that in The Andromeda Strain was triggered. It had a 108 minute delay to allow the (uninfected) staff to evacuate the island. It also had a "reset switch" akin to the snooze button on an alarm clock to allow them more time if needed, but no way to permanenlty stop the self-destrcut. (Or that permanent mechanism was damaged/destroyed or located somethwhere the bunker crew could not reach.) So nobody ever anticpated anyone having to constantly enter the code indefinitely. By the time the film was made and sent to the island the terrible thing had happened and they were using the code business as a stop-gap meaure until relief could be sent. But relief never was sent. (Does the company still exist? Are the founders all dead? Does anyone on the outside even know about the island? Maybe the whole experiment is now running on auto-pilot.)

BTW, whatever the secrets of the bunker, it seems unilkely that they are the cause of what is happening. Rembember the wooden sailing ship with the dynamite in the hold? Probably much older than the coporation or the experiments. Maybe the Dharma group was drawn towards the island, rather than causing others to be drawn to it.

I don't see why Ana-Alicia can't be with the real "Others" They might have captured her and the other tail section survivors 44 days ago and brainwashed them cult-style. They certainly would have been vulnerable enough, and the Others would have controlled the weapons, food and water. If she recognized any the three she would have been a sensible spy to drop into the pit with them. They might have recognized her as well. She was probably just trying to size them up and pump them for information. Sawyer's showing her the gun forced her hand.

As for Jin. Does anybody remember when he left the caves to go back to the beach? He and Sun fought in Korean. As he was walking away she cried out, in English, something along the lines of "I was leaving you!" or "I was going to leave you!" - a referenece to her plan at the airport. Jin stops in his tracks, comes back to her, and they continue their conversation in Korean. If he didn't understand English, why did he react to her words? If she didn't know (or suspect) he at least understood English, why did she say that one line in that language? Maybe her "glossary" was a cover so that Jin could explain how he was "learning" English on the raft, so he could plausibly communicate in an emergency without giving away his secret.

Regards,

Joe

My suspicion of why Sun said that in English was that she wanted it off her heart/wanted to tell him .. but didn't want him to know it really. Thus shout it at his head in a way that he probably would never understand :D .. though I could be wrong.

I suspect Sun might understands some English, just could never formulate sentences in it .. or something like that. Oh well .. we will see :D

I am not (yet) getting the feeling that Lost is falling to the X-Files syndrome .. it does still seem like the writers actually have some idea as of what they are doing. So I'm hoping that once we find out about Jin's skills, or once he starts speaking more English, it will make sense.

I'm sorry but just when and how did "gay" suddenly become a generic synonym for "stupid" or "uncool"? And when did people become stupid enough to carelessly use it that way?

Pretty much for as long as I can remember actually, and I'm certainly not the only person who has used it that way. Did you know Gay also means "happy"? Lots of words in the english language develop other meanings due to slang. This is one of them. Sorry you haven't heard it used that way yourself. And last time I checked I'm a pretty intelligent guy.

Now to some of your actual points, I suppose I can see that as a valid explaination for why things are as they are. I also completely agree that this company is not the reason for everyone coming to the island or all the weird things going on.

I also am not 100% certain though that Ana-Alica is with the real others. Its my belief that they are just survivors of the tail section who happened to have a harder time adapting than the 44 that we know. I could easily be wrong on this one though, and I'm sure sooner or later we will all find out. (later more than likely with the track record this show has of giving answers).

*** spoilers ***

Ok, I just finished season 1 and caught up with season 2. All I can say is, I love LOCKE! That man is awesome. He needs an emmy for his work and from what I've seen this season, that is even more true.

Why do you think they want Walt? I think I have Locke's situation figured out. As long as he's thinking about others, he's ok (and can walk.) But, when he tried to go to that plane to figure out its secret (with Boone,) it was only then that he started to lose the ability to walk. After Boone was injured, Locke put the boy over his shoulders and carried him back: helping someone = ability to walk.

Kate is a ninny. Sawyer > Jack

:)

Its been that way for a while unfortunatly. I try not to use it myself, but its definitly been around.

All I can say is, I love LOCKE! That man is awesome. He needs an emmy for his work and from what I've seen this season, that is even more true.

He was nominated for last season, but didn't win.

I assume I'm not the only person to catch last night's episode.

SPOILERS
I suspected that the 'others' that Jin was referring to were the survivors from the tail section, although he didn't know that. I wonder what all the other survivors have been through, as I took it to mean that several of them have died or been killed. As most of us figured, Rose was right; her husband survived.

Jin speaking English was explained satisfactorily, although that whole scene was still kind of strange. There really wasn't a whole lot accomplished in this episode.

Jin speaking English was explained satisfactorily, although that whole scene was still kind of strange. There really wasn't a whole lot accomplished in this episode.

Yeah, that was my problem with the episode. Hurley wants everybody to like him... this is a surprise? Though it could be that Jin's telling him that everything's going to change is more of a forshadowing than is apparent right now.

A friend of mine said that somebody spotted Walt's picture as a missing child on the milk carton in Hurley's dream. I didn't record it so I can't check.

I suppose it's only natural that we'll be reviewing some of the Lostaway's backstories. For people just beginning to watch, knowing some of that's important.

Jan

A friend of mine said that somebody spotted Walt's picture as a missing child on the milk carton in Hurley's dream. I didn't record it so I can't check.

I have it on DVR. I'll have to watch it again and look for it.

Hm, I think we got a bit this week, and they can't all be "Wham" episodes like the first 3, or the series would end mid-season.

We found out the lady sitting in Row 42 is the leader of 23 survivors from the tail end. And only a few of them are left, and they're very agressive and distrusting. That tells me either the rest got sick and became crazed psychos who had to be put down or the "Deliverance-type" Others preyed upon them.

We found out that indeed at least one other hatch is on this island, and these folks were smart enough to find the door, rather than having to blow an access hatch open.

We got some really sweet tender moments, Bernard being confirmed to be alive, and Rose showing her love for him by pocketing a candy bar for his sweeth tooth, and Bernard knows Rose is still alive.

Hurley's weird dream definitely means something. Only kidnapped/missing kids are on milk cartons. Why would Hurley dream that Walt had been kidnapped or was missing? Where would he get that idea? We found out Hurley has an inferiority complex (we had glimpses of this, but, no real proof). Why Jin in his dream? Why did he dream he was speaking Korean?

We found out that Desmond only had food to last 3 more months, yet the shelves were full. He's been there 3 years. Why are the shelves full of food, but, it would only last 3 months? Has it been resupplied or was there another supply room full of food? What would Desmond have done if they hadn't busted into his home for another 3 months?

Why is a section blocked off? Is that a passage to another hatch/bunker? Does it have something to do with the "incident"? Or maybe the Utopia experiment gone horribly wrong? The wall is anti-magnetic material, yet there's so much magnetism coming off it, that it pulls the key straight off of Jacks chest?

Anyone else seen this?

thedegroots.jpg

I've seen the guy compared, but, not the girl. It's so funny too, there's still people who are certain the "Dirty young blond girl" on the boat must be Alex. I can see the possibilities.

That's the first time I've seen either of those comparisons. For me, the scientist guy does not look a thing like M.C. Gainey (the guy who helped get Walt), except that they both have a beard. I've seen too much of Gainey's work to make me think that it's not him. As for the girl, I can kind of see the similarities, especially around the nose and mouth. I remember after last season there was talk of her as being Tina Wesson, the winner of Survivor: The Austrailian Outback:

12.jpg

I really do see a similarity there, but I don't know if she started a career in acting or not. I don't actually believe that it is her though.

As for the milk carton, I rewatched it, and it is indeed Walt on there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back