• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Will Rangers become a series? What are your feelings?

Almir

Regular
Based on what we all saw and read in the last 10 months.
What do YOU think?
It'll go to a series?
It's not what you want, it's what your feeling tells you.
You don't have to talk about ratings and "if" and money interests.
Just a good old "yes or no".
Come on, just to build up good vibes!

Me?
A well balanced yes

Almir

------------------

I have a feeling it will become a series. I've felt this way since I first heard about Rangers. Lots of times, my feelings about things tend to be correct. I hope this will be one of those times!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I believe the SciFi network have already decided to go ahead provided they get decent ratings for the pilot. They wouldn't have spent all this money on advertising build-up unless they thought there would be a pay-off somewhere down the line.

I'm saying a qualified "yes".

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fight.
I mean, yes
tongue.gif

------------------
never surrender, never give up
God, I need a better tag line

I honestly think that if they intended to do an on-going series that they would have announced it by now. I think that Rangers will have some good ratings, but not as high as sci-fi wanted. So, I think they will "try again" with another B5-related movie in the next year or so.

So no, I don't think it'll be an an on-going series.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

I think so, I really hope so.

I remember at a certain point, vibes were so high on getting a series, and I was even getting near-as-damn "yes it's gonna happen". Then it all seemed to deflate like the air out of a baloon.

But sadly, there's more to this issue. Check out our interview with Dylan Neal within a few days. He explains a bit more.

Trouble is with all this SCI FI advertising, it also builds expecation. They must be dumping a lot of money on it, to promote it. So they will expect that little bit more...

I hope it gets good ratings, I really do. I will be completey on edge waiting for the overnights on this one.

------------------
MPAA: Rated R for bad language, crude humor,
language, sexuality/nudity and drug content.

I think LotR will get the rating it needs to go to a series possibly even higher than anyone ever thought. There are people that watched B5 along time ago and haven't bothered with it in a long time, I'm sure they'll all check out the telemovie. Since the scifi channel has been showing B5 they've attracted alot of new fans for the show. Then there's alota people that have seen B5 LotR advertised all over the place and will probably check it out just to see what it is about. I really do feel that we'll get a series and after we get a series it will be out for a long time.

That's a big time yes.
wink.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

i'd love it to become a series but, as mentioned by Psion and Antony, there was so much hoopla about a possible series which then disappeared into the ether...

and you'd have thought we'd have heard something by now if it was a real possibility... (that said, look at the gap between The Gathering and Midnight on the Firing Line)

so unfortunately i've gotta go with a 'no'...

- please god let me be wrong!

------------------

I really hope it will become a series but trying to not to be to disappointed if that doesn't happen either way I hope something good will come out of it maybe will have B5 on DVD the whole collection .

------------------

I hope it will but it'll probably come down to stupidity or intelligent faith, I'd bet on stupidity every time.
frown.gif
I'd love to be wrong though.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

I hope I'm wrong...but I think no. I don't think it takes this long to make up their minds. We haven't seen the movie (Antony excluded), but the powers that be at Sci Fi have. If they liked it, they could say so now and commit to a series. Most series are made before a trial run is shown on TV. I am worried. I hope I am surprised with another 5 year run, but I think it is looking bad.

------------------
Long live www.issbabylon.com

Enterprise has got a series so they have to compete. I want The B5 universe (not B5 necessarily) to become a franchise like star trek. only all of it would be quality.
The few eps that were made of crusade are better than the ENTIRE 7 YEARS of godawful voyager.
So ds9 equiv was babylon 5
voy equiv crusade
and now Legend of the Rangers

I Hope it gets a series that goes on and on and on and on and on I DO HOPE.
I don't wanna suggest they will or won't coz itd prob put the kiss of death on its chances.
crazy.gif

------------------
-some must be sacrificed for all to be saved-

Does anybody actually believe it likely that SciFi will pass on a series if the ratings for the movie are great? It could happen, most likely if Warners asks for more money than SciFi feels comfortable spending (given their other commitments this season), but saying it's likely they won't go for a series regardless of what the ratings are is rather unfounded and pointless.

(Especially since B5 had to go through the same thing - When the pilot was shot in the summer of 92, jms was promised that the series was a go if he could finish it on time and on budget. He did, but then PTEN wanted to wait for the ratings. Then the ratings came, and the rest is history.)

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Here is my take on it (a collective groan from the audience inserted here).

SciFi said at the very beginning that a series decisions would either come after the rough cut was seen, or after the movie airs. I noticed a strong indications that option one was going to happen (from news items here and elsewhere) until the programming guy changed to the ex-NBC guy (who's name I forget, and whose ex-network I may have wrong). When that happened the high flying attitude ended and it became cautious. Instead of option 1 he seemed to lean towards option 2. Consider that if I just got a job I would not want to sign the dotted line for a 15-25 million dollar budgeted show right off, since if it failed and I caused the network to lost all that money my job would be next). I would wait, and that is what they appear to be doing.

With that in mind, SciFi Channel must believe in the project or they wouldn't be advertising the crap out of it the way they are. This stuff costs money, a good bit of it, and SciFi would not pay if for something they feel will fail.

As to the question, I think the ratings will be good and it will get a series commissioned. In honesty, I feel we will be lucky to stay on the air 3 years, but I will take it. I say this because of the rotten luck B5 has received in the past. I hope for 5 plus years, but I will take whatever I can get and fight like hell for more.

------------------

**Sends positive vibes across the ocean**

Yes, I do think that there will be a series. It's really the only option.
lol.gif

With all that advertising, people just have to turn in, especially the Nielsen families, to at least one of the first three showings.

And then it's just a matter of hoping that they won't tune out after the first 15 minutes.
wink.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Didn't SFC get burned with First Wave? I think they made some multi-year deal & then the series didn't get good ratings. I also don't think that Lexx has been a big hit for them. Maybe because of that, they are being cautious. I think that Rangers will do well & go on to a series (why would they do so much promotion if they were only going to drop it entirely?), but with what happened with First Wave, I guess I can't blame them for their caution.

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

Let's considered this:

a) Why this massive advertisement campaign?
All this money invested on a single 2 hour movie, make any sense?

b) Would be possible that a new TV series based on the B5 universe, with JMS writing and supervising, don't get reasonable ratings to the point to be compared with Firstwave or Lexx or even cancelled?

c) OK, let's suppose the ratings reach what they expect. Would be safe for the SFC not to give the green light for a series, risking piss all B5 fans off and problably lose a good share of the viewers that they brought along with all this B5 idea?

d) Did you ever see Bonnie Hammer (or any other TV Executive)so involved in promoting a movie?

All things considered...

Almir

------------------

All your points are valid, especially point 4. However along those lines, it would be equalle BAD for the ratings to be a big letdown considering all that work that went into promoting it. NFL playoffs are going to be a big obsticle.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

No, Almir--I agree with you!
smile.gif

I don't think that they would do all this promotion if they were just going to drop Rangers entirely. I'm just trying to figure out why they didn't green-light a series right away, that's all.

Tammy

------------------

"In here!"

Tammy's Station

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.