• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why do the Techno-mages do what they do?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Why do the techno-mages do what they do? I bet plenty of people would like to know the how
smile.gif
, but why do it? To be respected? To have a god-like status? To help others? They gather information. They can simulate the effects of magic through technology. Why do you think they do this? I think JMS asked this a few years ago, but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

I'm also curious about the idea of magic as it has been passed along to their time. Is magic, as Sheridan explained, "things we don't understand"? Or is it preserving a sense of wonder? Or is it something else?

------------------
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." Elric the Techno-Mage, "Geometry of Shadows"

"Why do the techno-mages do what they do?"

To make us ask questions like that.
smile.gif

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Purpose? To put in great plotlines in B5 and Crusade.
smile.gif

I suppose they may do stuff like what they did in The Long Road, helping out some people. They're also probably good at gathering info for others, as well as surveilance. Unfortunately, I haven't read any of the TM trilogy. (actually, only 1 book of that is out now, another due sometime in the summer)

Can't they do it just because they think it's cool? Heck, I'd do it just to put my fingers through the air in the shape of a square and show a really cool video sequence.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up.
Ivanova: In that case we're all going to die slow, agonizing deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Don't know perhaps they do what they do is because they can..

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

I think it depends on the individual mage they all do it for different reasons.

They do have a code they must live by.

I think POWER is a hudge factor they wanter be powerful heh

Also I like how if they are naughty they can be flayed .

ouch the pain.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I think there are as many reasons for doing it as there are members of the Order.

For some, it's power, for some, it's prestige, for some, it's the chance to help out.

"Dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers." I think that, in itself, says a lot. Knowledge for knowledge sake. It's a concept that's lost on a lot of people today, but I think the mages understand it intimately. I think that, for many of them, it's a great appreciation for life, and beauty, and learning, and a love of life. I believe that's what it was for Isabelle, and for Elric. Heck, if I could do it, I would, for those very reasons. It's the same thing that motivates me to draw, and paint, and write.

I'm reminded of a quote that someone wrote on a piece of paper and tacked up on the wall in one of the classrooms in the art building, on campus (could I possibly sqpeeze any more prepositional phrases into that sentance?)....

"May the beauty we love be what we do."

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

[This message has been edited by Derian (edited May 05, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derian:
I think there are as many reasons for doing it as there are members of the Order.

For some, it's power, for some, it's prestige, for some, it's the chance to help out.

"Dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers." I think that, in itself, says a lot. Knowledge for knowledge sake. It's a concept that's lost on a lot of people today, but I think the mages understand it intimately. I think that, for many of them, it's a great appreciation for life, and beauty, and learning, and a love of life. I believe that's what it was for Isabelle, and for Elric. Heck, if I could do it, I would, for those very reasons. It's the same thing that motivates me to draw, and paint, and write.

I'm reminded of a quote that someone wrote on a piece of paper and tacked up on the wall in one of the classrooms in the art building, on campus (could I possibly sqpeeze any more prepositional phrases into that sentance?)....

"May the beauty we love be what we do."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow...I love that quote. I think you "got in one".
smile.gif
That's why I like the technomages (in general). It's easy to lose that ability. We get jaded, cynical, etc about Real Life, because we see how it is. Or, perhaps our Rationalist society tells us that there must be a reason and a purpose for everything. If it can't be explained, classified, or categorized, then it's gibberish. I don't think that's always the case. It's like what everyone has been saying: "They do it because they can."

------------------
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." Elric the Techno-Mage, "Geometry of Shadows"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
I think it depends on the individual mage they all do it for different reasons.

They do have a code they must live by.

I think POWER is a hudge factor they wanter be powerful heh

Also I like how if they are naughty they can be flayed .

ouch the pain.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The POWER thing is certainly a big plus, but also a tremendous burden. We saw that with Elizar and Carvin. I would imagine that that more than one technomage has been tempted to become a god or goddess to some backwoods world. Thus the need for their code and a great amount of control.

The flaying bit...I wonder about something. When Sheridan went to Za'Ha'Dum, the guy (forgot his name) told Sheridan that when a host is taken out of a Shadow vessel, they're never quite whole again. I wonder if that works the same for technomages, especially if their tech is a form of Shadow tech? Does it mess them up a little (mentally) when they're flayed?

------------------

Casting Shadows deals with this subject. I suggest you to read. It's a great book.

------------------
"You mustn't allow yourself to be chained to fate, to be ruled by your genes. Humans can choose the type of life they want to live. The important is that you choose life... and then live".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazybillyo:
Purpose? To put in great plotlines in B5 and Crusade.
smile.gif

I suppose they may do stuff like what they did in The Long Road, helping out some people. They're also probably good at gathering info for others, as well as surveilance. Unfortunately, I haven't read any of the TM trilogy. (actually, only 1 book of that is out now, another due sometime in the summer)

Can't they do it just because they think it's cool? Heck, I'd do it just to put my fingers through the air in the shape of a square and show a really cool video sequence.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree about the plot lines. And certainly Galen has some of the best lines in the series.
smile.gif

Sure they can do their magic for the heck of it! Certainly to keep a sense of wonder alive, if not a sense of mystery. It's so easy to rationalize and try to find a purpose for everything. Maybe what they do is help to keep a sense of mystery going...and have fun in the process.
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitsune:

The flaying bit...I wonder about something. When Sheridan went to Za'Ha'Dum, the guy (forgot his name) told Sheridan that when a host is taken out of a Shadow vessel, they're never quite whole again. I wonder if that works the same for technomages, especially if their tech is a form of Shadow tech? Does it mess them up a little (mentally) when they're flayed?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's different but A mage would be messed up BIG time when Flayed it says in the book most die in the process and the ones that survive are stuffed.

It would stuff the mage not just mentally if he survived but Physically as well.if the mage did Survive would prolly be a vegetable. Wheres taken out of a Shadow vessel not a vegetable but deeply changed.

Seems to me that the tech is more heavily implanetd in a techno-mage then what is implaneted to someone who is going to merged with a Shadow vessel.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
It would stuff the mage not just mentally if he survived but Physically as well.if the mage did Survive would prolly be a vegetable. Wheres taken out of a Shadow vessel not a vegetable but deeply changed.

Seems to me that the tech is more heavily implanetd in a techno-mage then what is implaneted to someone who is going to merged with a Shadow vessel.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. The Shadow CPUs only had one implant (that we saw, anyway). Do you think that the Shadows had originally intended to use the techno-mages, in the same way the Vorlons used the telepaths? Galen found that their spells are based on destruction. I wonder what happened with those early technomages...the Taritamatude(?)Hope Jeanne delves into that a bit further.
smile.gif

------------------
"We all have something to hide. We all have something to tell. We all have a secret name. We all have a question that unlocks our hearts." ~ Galen

I wonder how it compares with the implant that the mages get to interact with the chrysalis.

I also still really wonder about that transciever at the base of the spine....

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

In the Centauri trilogy there are three technomages who help Vir to overcome the Drahk and save Centauri Prime. They appear from time to time, but they play a major role.

I think the Shadows wanted to use them for something not specified, but they managed to escape and form their own colonies. When the Shadows returned they fled.

The best of them use their powers for good but there are some bad apples in the barrel.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back